Source Membrane Question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
joshbdork

Source Membrane Question

Post by joshbdork » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:02 pm

okay. so i bought a source for pretty cheap. Its in great condition....except 4 or 5 membrane buttons don't work. I've heard you can buy new ones on ebay, but does anyone know if there is any way to fix the original membrane? also has anyone ever bought one of the membranes off ebay and put it on? I'm assuming it would come with a new adhesive surface...thanks

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 pm

Check this thread, scroll down a bit:

http://moogworld.com/forum/topic.php?id=2210

This method will also work for TI Speak and Spells and McDonalds cash registers :wink:

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Assuming that the problem lies in the membrane and not somewhere else in the unit, just buy the new membrane on ebay. I think that they run about $80, and I have heard that they work just great. Not much on working on synths, so don't ask me about how easy it is to install, but it does come with the sticky back to hold it in place.

I gave away a perfectly good Source in the early 90's, because the touch pad was hinkey. Nothing can be done with them. Wish that the replacement panel was available back then.

Good luck
Thanks Bob!!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:01 pm

thewaag wrote: Nothing can be done with them.
Unless you're really adventurous:
http://www.mysterycircuits.com/source/intro.html

thewaag is correct, your best course of action would probably be to buy a new membrane. I emailed the person who sells those on eBay about another product they sell for Moog restoration and never got a response. I usually try not to deal with companies who ignore their customers unless I have to.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:41 pm

OysterRock wrote:I emailed the person who sells those on eBay about another product they sell for Moog restoration and never got a response. I usually try not to deal with companies who ignore their customers unless I have to.
While I am NOT endorsing the seller of the membranes, on another board that I follow this seller is known for supplying quality replacement products for old analog synths. I have read a few accounts of people getting these membranes from him and were happy with the product.

He is also known for NOT REPLYING TO EMAILS.

There was a while a few months back where people wondered if he was still around as nobody had heard from him. If he is posting on ebay, however, I guess that he is back.

As with everything on ebay, you take your chances.
Thanks Bob!!

gd

Post by gd » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:50 pm

In addition to the above replies enjoy your purchase, I would open it up and clean the pots and check the condition of the battery.
Mini D, P'08 ..

joshbdork

Post by joshbdork » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:40 pm

gd wrote:In addition to the above replies enjoy your purchase, I would open it up and clean the pots and check the condition of the battery.
thanks. I checked all the pots and the battery is new within the past few months. It sounds great, looks great, just the 3 or 4 membrane buttons won't work. thanks everyone

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:31 am

I think the membrane seller you're talking about is called 'chipforbrains'?

If it is, I bought a replacement Juno bender lever assembly from him(her?) and it was great. Good quality, delivered quickly from Hong Kong I seem to recall.

You did well picking up a source cheaply!

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm

"chipforbrains" is a god send.

I have had from him all sorts of great, hard to find stuff . . he even made me knobs for my Opus3 . . specially for me.

I have had the membrane off of him and it works great . . very easy to put on (peel off the old one . . clean up the panel, slide the ribbons through the slot in the panel, unpeel the adhesive backing and stick down then plug in the ribbons).

And the print decal is identical . . like it was moog made.

go get it.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:56 pm

There you have it!

Chipsforbrains is indeed the same guy that I was talking about. Sounds like you can buy from him with confidence. :lol:
Thanks Bob!!

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:28 pm

yeah, the chipforbrains guy is pretty awesome....i've bought an assortment of mg-1 replacement parts from him which have all been top-notch....they even messed up sending me this one slider so they replaced it almost immedietly!......for what it's worth i approve.....

...also ain't the cheapest stuff in the world....but hey....when nobody else makes it....they've got the control over the price tag

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:31 am

i endorse chipsforbrians. cy is a cool guy, who always replied to my emails. thats strange if he's not for you.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:15 pm

OysterRock wrote:Check this thread, scroll down a bit:

http://moogworld.com/forum/topic.php?id=2210

This method will also work for TI Speak and Spells and McDonalds cash registers :wink:
That's a bit overkill for a S&S, isn't it?
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:00 pm

endocrine wrote: That's a bit overkill for a S&S, isn't it?
NEVER!!!!

I place my Speak and Spell up there with my Moog.
OK, calm down. That was a joke. :shock:

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:24 pm

See:

http://www.anti-theory.com/ 8)

S&S is just the tip of the iceburg!

Anyone up to bending a Voyager?