Keith Emerson death

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
atomicsynth

Keith Emerson death

Post by atomicsynth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:53 pm

http://www.jambase.com/article/legendar ... erson-died

This is just terrible news. The greatest rock keyboardist ever.

(pasted)

RIP KEITH EMERSON- It is with profound sadness I have to report the death of Keith Emerson last night in Santa Monica, CA. Below is the official statement from Carl Palmer:

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.

Carl Palmer

synthguy

Re: Keith Emerson death

Post by synthguy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Unhappy, unhappy day. :(

He was a HUGE influence to me, and so many others.

Safe journey, Keith.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Very sad to learn this. He was the king of the modular synth and a great musician and showman.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Discovering Keith and hearing BSS at age 13 led me to getting back into playing piano and begging my father for a loan to purchase a Minimoog D more than 40 years ago. I am definitely saddened by this news.

drogoff

Post by drogoff » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Flareless wrote:Very sad to learn this. He was the king of the modular synth and a great musician and showman.
And, as I was very fortunate to know him in person, he was a really nice and funny and generous guy!

David - feeling severely bummed...

drogoff

Post by drogoff » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Marzzz wrote:Discovering Keith and hearing BSS at age 13 led me to getting back into playing piano and begging my father for a loan to purchase a Minimoog D more than 40 years ago. I am definitely saddened by this news.
Yeah - I think I first heard BSS in '75. For some reason, my sister had a copy (not her kind of music). Got me totally into synthesizers, Hammond organ, the art of H.R. Giger (this was a few years before Alien), and composers like Ginastera, Copland, Bartok, Mussorgsky, Janáček, and others. So much of my introduction to the arts came from that one album and where it lead me.

David

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Out of all the rock keyboard artists I've admired, he was the greatest, IMHO.

A sad, sad day to hear of his passing... :cry:

dlabtot

Post by dlabtot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:06 pm

He's the reason why I ever wanted a synth in the first place.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:50 pm

The main reason why I got interested in Synths and playing them with a classical touch was because of Keith. Now he's in heaven jamming with all the masters. Oh what a LUCKY MAN he is. RIP Keith.
Last edited by HookedOnSonics on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

TotallyKenny

Post by TotallyKenny » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:11 am

Very very sad :cry: , Amazing person. A synthesizer Legend !!! He influenced me as a composer ,and keyboard player .
Last edited by TotallyKenny on Fri May 24, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:27 am

:-(

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:28 am

Indeed very sad news. And it has been confirmed it was suicide: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35787187

:( :cry:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Suicide?...WTHeck, wow, just lost a childhood friend over Christmas the same way, really sad.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:46 pm

R.I.P. Keith.

Coincidentally, he was the same age as Bob when he died, 71.

:(
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:54 pm

I spoke to him for about 10 seconds at this last NAMM. That was the second time I met him in person. I know lots of people are taking this loss very personally, and you have all my sympathies.

As much as we don't like to speak about it, things like chronic pain and depression can be terminal. The best we can do is give those who live with those conditions as much compassion as possible. We also should not look down upon them when they decide it's time for them to leave this earth.

And remember, when you're going to do a job, do the toughest thing first. Kevin used to call that the "Hoedown Method." :-)
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/