ring modulator w/ line 6 expression pedal

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
alrojas

ring modulator w/ line 6 expression pedal

Post by alrojas » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm

hey hey

i just bought the moogerfooger ring mod and was wondering if the line 6 expression pedal was compatiblw with it. ive got a line 6 delay and it would be great if i could buy one expression pedal to work with both pedals.
thoughts?

al

alrojas

Post by alrojas » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:25 pm

no one knows if this will work/sound ok?

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:55 pm

Three years ago I tried a Line6 expression pedal with my MF-101, and it didn't work. Take your Moogerfooger into Guitar Center or something and try it out. But if you're going to be using both at the same time then you'll need two pedals anyway...

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:42 am

unless you got a cp 251 and put the pedal in the 4 way multi

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 am

godzilla wrote:unless you got a cp 251 and put the pedal in the 4 way multi
Well, yes if you want to alter the effect of two devices in the same direction (pedal up/pedal down) at the same time. But it's probably unlikely you'll want to do this. Since two pedals offer so much more flexibility than just the one, it would be worth having a dedicted pedal attached to each device. Besides, an expression pedal (like the one offered by Moog) isn't that much $.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:35 am

Modularfan wrote:
godzilla wrote:unless you got a cp 251 and put the pedal in the 4 way multi
Well, yes if you want to alter the effect of two devices in the same direction (pedal up/pedal down) at the same time.
you could invert one of them and offset it a bit so it doesn't have the same response but it would still happen a the same time, hmm unless you can use the lag to make one change happen after the other.

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:55 pm

Was at a CG today and asked about the Line 6 expression pedal. The sales guy didn't have one in stock, but from his description of it, it sounds like the same thing as the Moog expression pedal:

Passive device
Plastic construction
'Pig tail' TRS connection
About $50

The real difference could be the value of the pot used inside the pedal, but based on the description I'd say it's worth trying the Line 6 pedal on the Moogerfooger just to see what happens. (Alternately, you could try the Moog expression pedal on the Line 6 device if that's an option at your local Music store.)

Might work just fine.

MF

alrojas

Post by alrojas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:40 pm

thanks for the info...i guess ill just take my pedal to the msuci store and try whatever they've got.

cheers
al

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:25 pm

alrojas wrote:thanks for the info...i guess ill just take my pedal to the msuci store and try whatever they've got.

cheers
al
Let us know what you find out here. I'm curious myself.

Greg

drolling

Post by drolling » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi - First post here!

I've tried a Line 6 expression pedal with my MF-102 and it didn't work. Regular volume pedals won't work either.

Because there's no industry standard for expression pedals, most brands (Boss, Behringer, etc.) will not work with a Moogerfooger. The store where I bought my ring mod sold me a no-name Italian made expression pedal which works fine.

This pedal has a hard wired cord with a stereo plug at the end, so any regular mono cable won't work either.

I'd like to get some Moog expression pedals (for the other three inputs) but I'm having a hard time locating a distributor up here in Canada.

Can I order stuff from this website?

Thanks,
David Rolling (drolling)

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:23 am

I use a Roland EV-5 expression pedal myself, though some people don't like them...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:37 pm

drolling wrote: I've tried a Line 6 expression pedal with my MF-102 and it didn't work. Regular volume pedals won't work either.

David Rolling (drolling)
Hi Dave! Welcome to the Forum!

If you have a multimeter, it would be instructive to find out how the Line 6 pedal is wired compared to the Moog pedal. I can't help but think the difference between the two is simply in the wiring. Can you make a few measurements and post the results?

- Greg

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:16 pm

I vaguely remember trying a Roland expression pedal (perhaps an old one) in the past. It didn't work except in a very small range. So I tested it with a multimeter and found that instead of a large range of resistance values, all I got was a small range i.e. something like 1kOhm.

What I concluded is that e.g. Moog pedals work on the voltage divider concept, where the supplied pedal voltage is progressively increased as the resistance decreases and e.g. Roland ones (or at least the one I had) use either a much smaller scale of values or something totaly different i.e. a digital system.

Not too sure though - I may not have tested it properly. But it would explain the sudden point in the pedal where the "knob" turns all the way up very quickly

drolling

Post by drolling » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:46 pm

latigid on wrote:Not too sure though - I may not have tested it properly. But it would explain the sudden point in the pedal where the "knob" turns all the way up very quickly
This is what commonly happens when a pedal's not properly designed/callibrated to specific requirements of the device in question.

For example, I've got an M-Audio BlackBox that really needs an exp. pedal to perform many *hands-off* functions. I was unable to track down theirs, and ultimately went with an Alesis CF1- which has afforded me access to simple functions like stopping/starting drum loops & changing tempo on-the-fly. The rocker pedal on this unit wlll allow a form of crude control over the filtered effects. But, as you say- it's more like an 'off-on' and is pretty dodgy in situations where you need a smoth, gradual tranistion- as in zero-flaging, talk-box and conventional wah pedal applications.

drolling

Post by drolling » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:07 am

GregAE wrote:Hi Dave! Welcome to the Forum!

If you have a multimeter, it would be instructive to find out how the Line 6 pedal is wired compared to the Moog pedal. I can't help but think the difference between the two is simply in the wiring. Can you make a few measurements and post the results?

- Greg
Yo Greg! Somehow I missed your message last time I was here.

Sorry I don't have any way of measuring impedance.. Just a guitar player!

But I did take apart the Line6 pedal and the pot's nothing like anything I've seen before - a tiny little cube, much smaller than the el-cheapo cylindrical pots on my asian made strat - but as I said earlier, the Italian pedal that came w/my Moogerfooger has a stereo cable hard-wired to it. The Line6 pedal takes a common mono instrument cord, so there's got to be some profound fundamental difference between the two..

BTW, I can't take apart the Italian pedal to see what's inside. The plastic seams appear to be fused together - Why do they build stuff this way ??

Again, I'll ask - how can I get a Moog expression pedal? I've hit a dead-end w/the Canadian distributor!!