Effects on bass

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dds

Effects on bass

Post by dds » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:10 am

I would like to hear your opinions about processing bass. I have Minitaur and i like the fat sonund from it. I do mostly deep house / nu disco bass stuff. The thing is, Minitour alone sounds very dry. Most modern deep house tracks have some kind of stereo feel on bass. What is the best way to process raw minitour sound to sound like Finnebassen tracks or Hot Since82.

I am using ableton live.
Windows 10 | Ableton Live 9.7 | Moog Minitaur

jsharpphoto

Re: Effects on bass

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:30 pm

There are a couple of ways to do it, depending on how "in the box" or "out of the box" meaning, how much do you want to do in real-time with hardware/plug-ins, or do you want it to be a total hardware solution.

1. Use can duplicate your minitaur audio track in ableton. Then, from the audio effects panel, add a "utility" to one of them, and invert the phase. Then split the panning on both. This should get you pretty close. You can adjust the delay compensation on ONE of them by a millisecond or two to keep them from cancelling each other out. This should give you a thicker sound. The only downside is that the effect might not be audible until after it's been recorded, depending on your system.

2. You can use an eventide H9 which will take a mono signal and create lots of stereo delay, reverb and distortion options. This would be completely "real time" or "out of the box".

3. You can buy a second minitaur. I run my minitaurs as a stereo pair. I have them both on the same midi channel, and run the two slightly detuned from each other, and panned in ableton. This creates a massive stereo image. It's the most expensive of these options.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MC

Post by MC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 pm

I've done numerous experiments with stereo bass. Even with two moogs.

This is the hardware solution I like
http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguedieh ... index.html
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

dds

Post by dds » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 am

Thank you for the tips.. The first solution suits me more because i cannot invest money on gear at this time. Sound is very close for i was looking for. Is this kind solution bad considering that the bass should be always mono, and here we splitting it left and right and inverting phase on each other.

I don't know what you mean by "not be audible until after it's been recorded". I have grouped 2 external instrument rack from minitaur and followed your solution and i immediately hear the difference.

dds

Post by dds » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:50 am

I have put one of Hot Since 82 tracks in Ableton and put utility on the channel, switch to mono vs stereo and there is no big difference in tone of the bass. But when i did the same on my bass channel the difference was huge. So i think that is not a way for do this.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:30 am

dds wrote:Thank you for the tips.. The first solution suits me more because i cannot invest money on gear at this time. Sound is very close for i was looking for. Is this kind solution bad considering that the bass should be always mono, and here we splitting it left and right and inverting phase on each other.

I don't know what you mean by "not be audible until after it's been recorded". I have grouped 2 external instrument rack from minitaur and followed your solution and i immediately hear the difference.
I don't subscribe to the "bass should always be mono" theory because the Moog voyager is the best bass synth of all time, in my opinion, and it's stereo. I do understand that most stereo systems are x.1 and only have one sub, but not all of your bass synth should be going through the sub.

What I meant about "not being audible in realtime" was, since I don't know the specs on your system or how you have ableton configured, I didn't know if you'd be able to hear it In real time. Did you adjust the delay compensation on either track? That can be used to "widen" the sound even further.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

dds

Post by dds » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:
dds wrote:Thank you for the tips.. The first solution suits me more because i cannot invest money on gear at this time. Sound is very close for i was looking for. Is this kind solution bad considering that the bass should be always mono, and here we splitting it left and right and inverting phase on each other.

I don't subscribe to the "bass should always be mono" theory because the Moog voyager is the best bass synth of all time, in my opinion, and it's stereo. I do understand that most stereo systems are x.1 and only have one sub, but not all of your bass synth should be going through the sub.

What I meant about "not being audible in realtime" was, since I don't know the specs on your system or how you have ableton configured, I didn't know if you'd be able to hear it In real time. Did you adjust the delay compensation on either track? That can be used to "widen" the sound even further.
I add 2 -3 ms delay on one channel which widen sound a lot. When you pan l/r each channel, do you pan 100% on each side?

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:54 am

I wouldn't hard pan them. I would do around experiment with some headphones on to get it where you want
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2