Mean Sub37 kills Cubase Timing

Everything Sub.
gridsurfer

Mean Sub37 kills Cubase Timing

Post by gridsurfer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Dear all,

Yesterday I purchased a Sub 37. OMG ist a MOOG, I am so proud.... Cool machine, vast range of great sounds.

Trying to use it in Cubase 8.0 via USB puts me down. Biiiiiiiig surprise: My oh so beloved Cubase 8.0 stumbles and stumbles when playing or recording. Ist almost líke it is freezing for moments and then continuing to run. Doesn´t even sound like I could create a new sick music genre with it.... People would have to make strangest movements matching with eternal chaos clock to dance to this. I assume this might lead to injuries ;-)

I have sync set to "internal" in Cubase, and distribute midiclock only to Sub 37via USB. I have "all midi Inputs" set for the Sub 37 track as I want to play and fiddle around on Sub37's splendid hardware ("all" includes the Phatty itself) and route midi to Sub 37. On phatty midi is set to 7 bit, I turned mdidi clock send in Sub 37 off. Neither CV, Midi or USB are set to duplicate anything. I assume that there is a Midi feedback in this Installation which may be the issue but have no idea how to resolve this. I also wonder if I can learn more from you, what the real issues are.

Thus I ask you, dear community, if something like this was experienced before and how this can be solved. I searched the Forum but only found timing issues where the DAW worked but none where 37 was strong and nasty enough to bring the DAW down. Thus I hope you can help as without Midi Integration its pointless to me...

Mean, mean little big thing

Best

Tobias

JonLukas

Re: Mean Sub37 kills Cubase Timing

Post by JonLukas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:26 pm

I don't know if it's related, but I had an issue where I could not get the Sub 37 to sync properly to the clock in Logic Pro.

I only had the problem when my sequences had swing. If swing was at the default setting (50% I think), the sync worked perfectly, but with a swung sequence I could never get it to work properly.
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Tobias,

Sub 37 should not make Cubase stumble at all... especially if Cubase is the master clock and Sub 37 isn't sending any clock back to Cubase... make sure ECHO DIN / ECHO USB settings are both OFF on the Sub 37 MIDI settings... although it sounds like you did this already. Does it make any difference if sub 37 arp/sequencer is on, or off?

what version of Windows are you using? There's a Moog USB driver that might help.

Kind regards,

Amos
gridsurfer wrote:Dear all,

Yesterday I purchased a Sub 37. OMG ist a MOOG, I am so proud.... Cool machine, vast range of great sounds.

Trying to use it in Cubase 8.0 via USB puts me down. Biiiiiiiig surprise: My oh so beloved Cubase 8.0 stumbles and stumbles when playing or recording. Ist almost líke it is freezing for moments and then continuing to run. Doesn´t even sound like I could create a new sick music genre with it.... People would have to make strangest movements matching with eternal chaos clock to dance to this. I assume this might lead to injuries ;-)

I have sync set to "internal" in Cubase, and distribute midiclock only to Sub 37via USB. I have "all midi Inputs" set for the Sub 37 track as I want to play and fiddle around on Sub37's splendid hardware ("all" includes the Phatty itself) and route midi to Sub 37. On phatty midi is set to 7 bit, I turned mdidi clock send in Sub 37 off. Neither CV, Midi or USB are set to duplicate anything. I assume that there is a Midi feedback in this Installation which may be the issue but have no idea how to resolve this. I also wonder if I can learn more from you, what the real issues are.

Thus I ask you, dear community, if something like this was experienced before and how this can be solved. I searched the Forum but only found timing issues where the DAW worked but none where 37 was strong and nasty enough to bring the DAW down. Thus I hope you can help as without Midi Integration its pointless to me...

Mean, mean little big thing

Best

Tobias

gridsurfer

Post by gridsurfer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Dear Amos, JonLukas,

Thansalotandevenmore for your answers. Have been working extensively in my real life work - thus pls. apologize delayed answer.

As I am from Germany I do not use Swing just straight 4/4 :-) No, sincerely I love Swing but for the test setup no-swing setting was used. Thus I assume this can not be the source of error.

Amos, you are right I disabled any duplication. The strange things (driving Cubase even to not respond to anything) happen disregardless of any arp/seq settings but tend to get worse in arp/seq. BTW I use Win 10 which I now find to be pretty unproblematic with my Setup (8 hardware synths, via USB and edirol Interfaces)

I now wired the Sub 37 via Midi and everything works fine, thus I assume the problem lies with the USB Interface. Unfortunately now my Korg Z1 only receives Midi but does not send any - which I hate since I just got myself a good Editor and promised myself to tame that beast (new years eve :-).

Looking Forward to your answers.

Tschüss and best regards

Tobias