New Voyager - knobs turn off center/axis. Normal?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
bRainDance

New Voyager - knobs turn off center/axis. Normal?

Post by bRainDance » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Hey All - This is my first post here so forgive me if this topic has been covered, I didn't see it when searching. I recently just bought a Bubinga Select, supposedly just in, brand new from the factory, it sounds excellent and is gorgeous but I've noticed the knobs, particularly the smaller knobs (resonance, mixer, wave etc.) seem to spin off axis, even on a bit of an angle, it's pretty noticeable when turning a knob. Now, I know this has been a point of contention on another synth manufacturers forum, and I'm not here to say "it shouldn't be this way", I just want to know if it's normal. I still have time to exchange it for another if it's not normal. I've been buying synths for about 17 years but really have never owned anything with knobs this big so maybe it has something to do with larger knobs and D-shafts? I was checking out a Memorymoog and a Prophet 5 the other day and neither exhibited this, but neither had D-shaft pots. It really doesn't seem to get in the way of tweaking except that the knobs can't be too close to the surface or they almost seem to tighten down (I'm guessing this is because of them being on a bit of an angle). I can provide video if need be.

Anyway, any info/experience you guys could give on this would be greatly appreciated.

paramnesia

Re: New Voyager - knobs turn off center/axis. Normal?

Post by paramnesia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:01 pm

normal - the alpha pots can have some variation in the center of the shaft
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

bRainDance

Post by bRainDance » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for your response. I imagine the knobs probably can't all be 100% accurate either.

I'm still curious if anyone else has noticed this . Am I the only OCD Voygaer user? :?

bRainDance

Post by bRainDance » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Are there no other Voyager owners who've experienced this ?
I mean, on mine it's quite obvious.