Just bought a Model D on eBay...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Blackout

Re: Just bought a Model D on eBay...

Post by Blackout » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 am

how the HELL did you manage to get it at that price and in that condition....what is goin on here where was i! you are very lucky man

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 am

can't bring him back ?
sounds like not a fair deal ?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Spumoni wrote:Oh man... you can say THAT again. It plays like crap! Almost like it has after touch! On some keys, the notes sound like they are gliding off into space.

Also, the envelope knobs don't seem to do what they should. I can't really adjust the decay, and some of the wave forms sound really bad (scratchy), and others sound ok.

I'm not feeling so confident...
It's just in need of some TLC that's all. Nothing that a good tech can't fix. Don't expect a flawless machine from EvilBay these days. And don't forget that these are 40 years old instruments.
I bought mine (locally) at a real bargain price specifically because it had some issues (the keyboard is the main problem source on most Minimoogs). But I fixed it myself and replaced the keyboard contacts with an optical system.

Maybe you should contact Chris Hewitt of ThisOldSynth and ask him about fixing your Mini ? (he's a real good tech)
http://www.thisoldsynth.com/Portfolio.html

But if you feel that you paid too much for your Minimoog in the first place, and are not satisfied with your purchase, isn't there a way to get your money back and send it back ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks for the help everyone... after the initial shock wore off, I am seeing things more clearly now. I really don't want to ship it back, and the seller is being very helpful considering it really wasn't his fault. He's willing to credit me a little to help. I notice the 3rd oscillator only plays one tone, the modulation seems really to act really strange, and some of the envelope knobs aren't working... (never played an original, but I have a Voyager).

I called Analog Lab and I really like them - they had great reviews, they're in the same state, and they seemed very helpful on the phone which is a huge plus. I already ordered a new anvil case (being built to my color choice and stenciled!). Looks like I'm in for the long haul. I don't anticipate it will be cheap, but I think in the end it will be worth it.

I will post my updates.
Last edited by Spumoni on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:53 am

Well done Spumoni!

Will be the best money you ever spent mate! Fantastic to own a piece of classic history!

Perhaps you can add a Square Wave CLARINET SECTION to my almost completed JAZZY MOOG arrangement?!

Best,

Paul Seaman
Moog Subsequent 25 / MiniMoog Model D / Cubase 9 / Sibelius 8.6

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:55 am

That's funny... and thanks! Here'a an update:

I sent the Moog to Analog Lab in NY, and so far these guys have really been great - very receptive and responsive. They will need to fully strip down the keybed to install new rubber mounting standoffs. After they are installed and the key contact board is reinstalled, we will need to clean and adjust the key contacts. (about $350)

The controls (pots/switches) are badly in need of cleaning (which first requires taking out the PCBs and cutting the pots), they can recap the power supply, and we will need to perform a full calibration. (About $450.)

They also talked about the option of doing the optical key upgrade, and or adding Midi. Would adding the Midi effect the value negatively?

Thanks!

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi man,

Well I guess there will be two opposite ends of the spectrum schools of thought here!

Of course, having the KENTON MIDI KIT (or whichever) fitted will facilitate many useful, time saving and creative events, but some might argue that you have DEFACED the item! Whilst others will view this as an enhancement.

Personally, I would change NOTHING about my MiniMoog. However, something like a Juno_6, Poly_61, DX7 and similar, I would happily have modified in any way I felt necessary.

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:23 pm

I agree with Paul on this. Some will indeed want to preserve a classic synth in its original state, others won't mind adding some improvements.

I'm in between. I added the Opto-Key (Kevin Lightner/Chris Hewitt) system to replace the faulty keyboard contacts, and it did offer MIDI as a bonus. But that modification is totally transparent, MIDI connectors are two wires in the back with DIN plugs at their ends. And the system was specifically designed to leave the Minimoog as is, only removing the need to have the keyboard contacts cleaned every so often. If I would ever want to sell it (I wouldn't know why ?), I can even remove those MIDI wires completely.

And as for MIDI, it doesn't add patch saving, knobs digitizing, or any other common features normally found on MIDI equipped synths. It simply (in my case) adds the capability of receiving and sending MIDI Note data. And as such is a welcome thing for controlling it from other sources, without the hassles of CV control.

To each his, or her own I guess.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:23 pm

The Optokey should give you midi in and out without defacing the unit. Keep your original contacts if that's the route you want to go. I would like to have this done to mine.

Price seems high just to install bushings and clean the contacts.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi again,

Some interesting points there guys!

Just to add a side note, last year I was going to get a couple of internationally established jazz musician friends to SIGN my MiniMoog. I was really tempted and they were playing in my local area in October. But in hindsight, I am very pleased that I did NOT.

This was mostly due to the fact that whilst they are both highly respected musicians in the JAZZ world, outside of this they are way lesser known (without meaning to sound disrespectful). Meaning that if I ever DID have to (sadly) sell or pass on my MiniMoog, the chances are that the recipient of the instrument will not have heard of these two performers.

Having thought this through further over Xmas, I was thinking that if I ever was to consider getting it signed (and of course I am not assuming that these musicians even would do so for me!), then it would be either Paul McCartney or Gary Numan,

Cheers,

Paul

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:39 pm

Spumoni wrote: I sent the Moog to Analog Lab in NY, and so far these guys have really been great - very receptive and responsive. They will need to fully strip down the keybed to install new rubber mounting standoffs. After they are installed and the key contact board is reinstalled, we will need to clean and adjust the key contacts. (about $350)
The controls (pots/switches) are badly in need of cleaning (which first requires taking out the PCBs and cutting the pots), they can recap the power supply, and we will need to perform a full calibration. (About $450.)
Wow..! I need to up my rates...! :o

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:43 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote: then it would be either Paul McCartney or Gary Numan,
Mr.Emerson would be the man for that job... possibly Wakeman second...!? :)

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:22 am

Hi,
noddyspuncture wrote:
monsterjazzlicks wrote: then it would be either Paul McCartney or Gary Numan,
Mr.Emerson would be the man for that job... possibly Wakeman second...!? :)
lol

I think Emo has TENDONITOUS so he probably can't even hold a pen! Wakeman is a top guy and emailed me some helpful info when I was looking to buy a Moog. I was originally trying to buy one of his (he has SIX!!!!) but they are not for sale. Don't know how much the ferry cost's to the Isle Of Mann? :shock:

Paul

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 am

Just got an update from Analog Lab - they got everything working much better, had to cut open the pots the clean them which helped tremendously. They were having issues with the key contacts, and had to remove the board a second time and solder each and every contact. He said for some reason, the existing solder was not reacting like normal. But now that it's entirely been redone they think it will last a long time. Hopefully there won't be many more issues...

I also ordered a new Calzone Case - considering they're made to order, it came surprising fast. I'm impressed at how hefty this thing is!
Attachments
photo.JPG

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 am

Sounds like a lot of bullshit.

"...cut open the pots to clean them" ???
Those Allen-Bradley sealed pots can be opened by unfolding the four tabs holding the back and prying the cover open with a small screwdriver. I should know, I did it myself on a couple of them. No need for cutting open, which could even damage them.

"...the existing solder was not reacting like normal" ???
What does that even mean exactly ? A solder joint is either cracked, or "cold" (meaning that it was overheated when done). And I sincerely doubt that a Pratt-Reed keyboard would have each and everyone of its solder joints defective.

I think that Analog Lab are taking you for a ride and overcharging you.

My opinion.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion