Mother 32 not tracking well with Little Phatty

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Welldone

Mother 32 not tracking well with Little Phatty

Post by Welldone » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:04 am

Hello

I have conacted Moog support via e-mail twice during the last two weeks, but didn't get any reply yet. Maybe someone on thie forum can help me?

When I connect the Mother 32 via KB-Out to my Little Phatty Stage Edition, the tuning of the LP is quite wrong. The tuning of the M32 itself is OK. When I plug the KB-Out of the M32 into the Mix1-In and route the VCMix-Out of the M32 into the LP's CV-in, the tuning of the LP is much more accurate when I turn the VCMix-knob of the M32 up a little. This workaround has the big drawback that I can't use the VCMix of the M32 for other (more interesting) tasks.

I've read that the LP CV-in is not calibrated to 1V/Ocatve exactly. Is there any easy solution for me to get the M32 and the LP working together? I'm all new to this CV-thing (always working with MIDI beforehand). I'm a bit hesistant to use the trimpots on the M32 without knowing what to adjust exactly. Buying something like a CP 251 (?) just as an attenuator is too costly for me.

Thanks for any assistance.

Kind regards, Andreas

Vondragonnoggin

Re: Mother 32 not tracking well with Little Phatty

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 pm

Another interesting find when using other instruments with the Mother 32 is Arturia Minibrute cv out to 1v/oct in has the pitch way off in octaves. Way too high octaves. Gate works ok, but 1v/oct in is not. Going opposite patching and using kb and gate out to Minibrute from the Mother 32 is fine though. Normal pitch that can be tuned easy between synths.

Found it odd that the pitch would not match on 1v/oct in because the minibrute supposedly standard and works fine on my modular synth oscillators and you hear normal same octave. Not into Mother 32 though. Not even able to bring to normal octave with pitch knob on the Mother 32.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

TanSAT

Post by TanSAT » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:40 pm

The Mother's internal keyboard CV is summed with incoming 1v/Oct signal. Play the same note on the mother that you playing on the microbrute and you will be able to adjust the tuning with the mother or microbrute. This is a little goofy at first, but not bad once you get the hang of it. It is pretty neat because you can do intervals in tune (5ths, etc).

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:59 am

Vondragonnoggin wrote:...Arturia Minibrute... pitch way off in octaves. Way too high octaves.
Before you send any CV Pitch signal to the MiniBrute, be sure to set the 'Brute to its lowest octave, and hit the lowest key. This will set the base pitch for the CV signal (which will add to that base pitch).

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here. My apologies if you were unable to reach us, we strive to be available to assist with these issues, and I am very sorry your communications fell through the cracks.

For future reference you can reach Tech Support at the following emails and phone extensions at Moog:

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

If you send an email or leave a message and you do not hear back within 24 hours, feel free to contact any of the other agents listed above. Any of us should be able to assist with any of your tech support needs, and we thank you in advance for your patience as we do receive quite a lot of emails and phone calls. We want to give every customer the individual personal attention they deserve, and this can be a challenge with all of the different permutations a studio setup can manifest, so we do our best to provide detailed and in-depth answers to each customer. This can result in a delay with email communications of 24-72 hours, so if your need is urgent, please do not hesitate to call us. :)

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

NTHN

Post by NTHN » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:15 am

I had this same trouble with the Arturia Microbrute. I found a solution that requires a little fine tuning. Run the gate out from your Microbrute or any other synth in the the "Gate" input of the M32. Run the Pitch out from your Microbrute or any other synth into "Mix 1" and then out of the "VC Mix" into the "VCO 1v/Oct" Then you will need to adjust the VC Mix to about 9 o'clock, about 1 quarter up the Mix 1 side. Then play the same note on the Microbrute keyboard and the M32 keyboard. You will need to do a little fine tuning of the M32 Frequency knob. This allows your M32 to track well for about 2 octaves with the Microbrute. I believe if you are patience enough you could get it to almost track perfectly. Hope this is clear and can help.