Model D and Voyager settings?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
minimax

Model D and Voyager settings?

Post by minimax » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:22 pm

I have had a Electric Blue Voyager keyboard for a number of years. It looks good and sounds great. However now (after only 40 years of wanting one) I have purchased a late (serial no in 12,000s) Mini Moog Model D. It is in great physical condition and tunes as well as my voyager.

You will be pleased to know I am not looking to engage in the old which Moog sounds better debate I am not looking to sell either so it is a win win.! However I would appreciate some advice please about equivalent filter settings as the measurements are not the same. The voyager filter cut off goes from 20 to 12K whilst the model D is -5 to +5. How would I achieve a like for like comparison? Is there a specific range on the Voyager equivalent to the Model? I know about the dual filter arrangement on the voyager and can set it to dual low pass 4 pole is similar to model D.

I know Voyager resonance and Model D emphasis are one and the same but what about Model D contour? I voyager KB cont amount the same?

The voyager has release on the EG but model D does not. ( I understand the release switch on model D above pitch wheel may perform this function. Any suggestions?

I have the Tom Rhea mini moog patch charts and would hope to try out on both synth if I can match the settings.So far my effort have been pretty close.

I have to say I now appreciate the pitch bend and modulation wheels on the voyager. The model D does have that aggressive / adolescent behaviour sound.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Stewart
Minimoog model D, Minimoog Voyager Keyboard, Hammond SK1, Leslie 145', Korg Kronos workstation.

thealien666

Re: Model D and Voyager settings?

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Stewart, and congrats on finally getting a D !

As for getting the same results on both Voyager and Minimoog, it will be a matter of approximation and can done by ear, or with measuring instruments (oscilloscope, frequency meter) for the absolute best match. Because you see, the Minimoog D is a particular beast. Even between 2 Minis, the knob settings won't necessarily be the same to get the exact same sounds out of them.
(Especially true with your Minimoog D with a late serial number that most probably has the latest oscillator board, compared to the widely available "old board", like in mine)

The lettering around the knobs is only there as a rough guide, and do not represent the exact values (except for the switches, obviously, although one might argue that even on the octave range switch you might not get exactly one octave difference depending on the state of the internal tuning of the oscillators). It's mainly due to the components tolerances, age, and state.

The Voyager is a bit better in that regard because it's younger :wink: , but also because it is eventually a digital machine when it comes to control, since every parameter is converted to a digital value for storing patches in memory.
So even if the markings on its knob are not that precise, you can always read the data value on the LCD screen as a reference. Not so with the Minimoog D (unless you take internal measurements with meters, or look at the waveforms on an oscilloscope, which is not ideal).

On the Mini, it's all a question of approximation, feeling, and impression. Once your ears are telling you that it sounds as close as to what you're looking for, that's what you'll get. And don't forget to write down the position of the knobs on a patch sheet for future approximated reference.

In conclusion, your ears will be the best, and cheapest, way to match the sounds of both a Voyager and a Minimoog D, in my humble opinion. I should know, I've had both a Voyager Old School and a Minimoog D at one point. Can you guess which one I kept ? But you're right, let's not get into that again... :wink:

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

minimax

Re: Model D and Voyager settings?

Post by minimax » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:48 am

Alain,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I agree about the ear being the best comparison measurement. Due to work commitments I have not had a great deal of time to spend playing both. ( I am planning to set aside some dedicated time) However so far I have been impressed by the Voyager's ability to match the Model D. As you say the ability to accurately capture the voyager value on 0-127 scale is helpful.

Thanks again.
Regards

Stewart
Minimoog model D, Minimoog Voyager Keyboard, Hammond SK1, Leslie 145', Korg Kronos workstation.