Voyager filter settings

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
minimax

Voyager filter settings

Post by minimax » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:02 am

Posted this thread in more general discussion but might be better here in Voyager chat.

I have had a Electric Blue Voyager keyboard for a number of years. It looks good and sounds great. However now (after only 40 years of wanting one) I have purchased a late (serial no in 12,000s) Mini Moog Model D. It is in great physical condition and tunes as well as my voyager.

I would appreciate some advice please about equivalent filter settings as the measurements are not the same. The voyager filter cut off goes from 20 to 12K whilst the model D is -5 to +5. How would I achieve a like for like comparison? Is there a specific range on the Voyager equivalent to the Model? I know about the dual filter arrangement on the voyager and can set it to dual low pass 4 pole is similar to model D.

I know Voyager resonance and Model D emphasis are one and the same but what about Model D contour? I voyager KB cont amount the same?

The voyager has release on the EG but model D does not. ( I understand the release switch on model D above pitch wheel may perform this function. Any suggestions?

I have to say that the Voyager performs well alongside the Model D. I have learned more about the Voyager and its capabilities in the last 2 weeks than over the last 5 years!
Minimoog model D, Minimoog Voyager Keyboard, Hammond SK1, Leslie 145', Korg Kronos workstation.

GregAE

Re: Voyager filter settings

Post by GregAE » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi minimax,

A number of years ago, forum member BrianG and myself conducted a comparison test of the MiniMoog Model D, a Voyager, and a Creamware MiniMax VA synth to see how each would fair compared to the others. We did an extensive write-up of our results with accompanying sound examples. On the last page of the write-up, I added a list of guidelines to follow if you are trying to recreate a Mini-Moog patch on a modern-day Voyager. A screen shot of that page is attached:
Mini-Voyager.jpg
The complete "Vintage, Voyager or Virtual – A Comparison Test" document and accompanying sound example files are on the KnobTweak website. Find it here:

Files > Voyager > Vintage, Voyager or Virtual

Hope this helps you in your quest! :D

- Greg

minimax

Re: Voyager filter settings

Post by minimax » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:27 pm

Greg,

Thanks for this. I am well familiar with Creamware ASBs having had 3 minimaxs over the years!

Will look at your helpful chart.

Thanks again

stewart
Minimoog model D, Minimoog Voyager Keyboard, Hammond SK1, Leslie 145', Korg Kronos workstation.