Q182 Joystick Controller for Model 15 and Sonic Six

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
chekmate99

Q182 Joystick Controller for Model 15 and Sonic Six

Post by chekmate99 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi there,

Has anyone have experience with the synthesizers.com Q182 Joystick Controller?

I'm interested in using a joystick with a Model 15 and Sonic Six as a substitute to the Moog 959 X/Y Controller. I understand for gate to work it would require a V-trig/S-trig conversion cable and for the Sonic Six, conversion cable for Cinch Jones connection.

Any feedback on this or other similar joysticks is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

EMwhite

Re: Q182 Joystick Controller for Model 15 and Sonic Six

Post by EMwhite » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:02 pm

I've got two Q181w in a Q182 style 2 space module (for traditional pitch and mod duties) It would be identical to the stick except that the stick does not have a switch gate at the extremities.

Each 1/2 of space (essentially, each axis of the stick) includes the output (at the top), range of which can be selected; an auto-gate which uses a comparator circuit which will kick a gate when the threshold is set; e.g. when the stick crosses 1/3rd of the way to the right you can have a gate fire; and at the lower part, a switched gate which has a tiny button that you can see with a single jack/output and an LED.

The JS may also have jumpers beneath to dictate whether it's bi-polar (-2.5 to 2.5) or just 0..5V; not sure how this will work with the switch at top, you'll have to check the spec sheet. There may also be a physical switch which releases the spring mechanism again, I'm not that familiar with this aspect of it BUT... to answer your question, the voltages are within range of what Moog likes which is good and yes as you suggested, you'll need a V-trig to S-trig. If you are into DIY, you might consider wiring in a switch to change the behavior of the physical switch so that it can be native S-trig.

The dotcom controllers are built very well and I'm a pretty difficult customer to satisfy. If you can justify spending the $$, go for it.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

chekmate99

Re: Q182 Joystick Controller for Model 15 and Sonic Six

Post by chekmate99 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks for the insight EMwhite this is very informative, I'll most likely use Q182 as it's very flexible and about 1/6th the cost of a Moog controller (someone local is selling a Moog controller but it's expensive).

chekmate99.