Disabling sequencer, is it possible?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
domtak

Disabling sequencer, is it possible?

Post by domtak » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Hello

I have my M32 hooked up to an Octatrack which I'd like to use to program the M32. Whenever I press play on the Octatrack, the M32's sequencer starts running is there a way to disable this - essentially so I can use the M32 as a sound module only.

The problem I have is, I have to manually stop the sequencer every time and until I do I don't hear any notes from the M32 (via the Octatrack). In other words, when I try and play the M32 live from the Octatrack's keyboard all I get is silence until I stop the M32 sequencer - then notes play.

:?:

THX

JohanH211

Re: Disabling sequencer, is it possible?

Post by JohanH211 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 am

I am also trying my best to find out how you can have a sequence running from my daw (ableton) without the M32 sequencer interfering... with no success unfotunately.

Is there anyone how knows how to let you play the mother 32 from a daw so that the sequencer does not start running? Any help or additional background is much appreciated

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:10 pm

The M-32's sequencer is going to start running every time it receives a MIDI Start message, and incoming notes will transpose that sequence.

Ableton Live automatically generates a MIDI Start message when you hit play or record.

You'll need to dig around on the Live forms for a way to edit or filter that message. Because I don't think the M-32 has an assignable Global MIDI channel - which is what you'd need to set those program changes/start/stop messages to a channel other than the active one.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

domtak

Post by domtak » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:03 pm

That's really annoying. Currently the M32 doesn't play well with the Octatrack (and probably any Elektron gear that sends Midi Clock). Basically if I have the OT sending Midi Clock, I can't play the M32 - notes get stuck and it's generally unusable. As soon as I switch off Midi Clock then it plays fine, but then I have no Midi Clock for all my other gear.

Any sign of this getting fixed? Pretty much renders the M32 useless for me in my hardware set up.

@Johan - you might just simply need to switch off the 'Sync' option in Live's Midi Preferences for the Midi port that's sending to the M32.

lindelltodd

Post by lindelltodd » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:16 pm

I was having this issue with my MPC 1000 at first as well. The fix was to disable MIDI Sync on the MPC. No I can record/play sequences from my MPC without activating the Mother's sequencer.

My control keyboard is connected to the MPC with both in/out MIDI connections, and the MIDI thru from the keyboard goes out to the Mother. I can trigger Mother notes from my pads, keys, or the Mother keyboard, and sequence Mother notes from the MPC by playing them on the control keys or pads.

Long story short OP, figure out how to disable the MIDI Sync (or equivalent function) on your Octatrack and you should be good.

The rest of the info is for anyone having trouble getting their gear connected via MIDI with Mother.

JohanH211

Post by JohanH211 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:43 am

Great advice, thanks guys, much appreciated!

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Here is a little video i made with Elektron Analog Rytm, sync is very ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3FLhZy_QdE

domtak

Post by domtak » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:28 am

lindelltodd wrote: Long story short OP, figure out how to disable the MIDI Sync (or equivalent function) on your Octatrack and you should be good.
Only problem is, the Octatrack is sequencing other gear via sync, if I switch that off everything will stop.

D

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 am

domtak wrote:
lindelltodd wrote: Long story short OP, figure out how to disable the MIDI Sync (or equivalent function) on your Octatrack and you should be good.
Only problem is, the Octatrack is sequencing other gear via sync, if I switch that off everything will stop.

D
Is it actually syncing other sequencers start/stop/midi time or is it just sending notes to other devices? If its just notes out and not needing start/stop/clock, they will still send with sync off.

Do the other devices have the ability to set a midi recieve channel and does the Octatrack have the ability to send clock/sync on a different channel than Omni out? If so then setup other devices on midi channel 2 and send clock/sync out midi channel 2 and note on/off out Omni, while the Mother 32 stays on channel 1.

Sorry, not familiar with Octatrack.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Vondragonnoggin wrote:... does the Octatrack have the ability to send clock/sync on a different channel ...
No, the Octatrack does not have that ability. In fact, no device has that ability, there's no such MIDI message.

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:16 pm

My mv8800 cannot turn off sync that I know of yet, but found a workaround by using the tempo knob on the Mother 32 to match clock divisions to notes in sequence sent to the Mother 32. Sequencer still running, but just playing its single note. As soon as external sequence sent to it, it plays the sent note pitches and the tempo clock division can be set to give one to one note on sequencing in the few sequences I have tried so far.

Can also double, triple notes, etc.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:16 pm

Two things I haven't tried -

With Mother 32, set clock source to cv in and plug a patch cable into it or just setting it to cv in and no source

On minilogue using empty preset with no sequencer data in it.

Will try later today. Gotta run now but just thinking out loud this might work to stop auto starts from external sequencers
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:44 am

A workaround might be programming a static sequence on the Mother-32 with a single tied note all over the sequence, ain''t it?

Unfortunately I don't have a unit yet to try, but I will have one on February
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:29 pm

So after some reading, the Mother 32's default tempo source already is set to cv. I found no way to not have the sequencer start when I started my mv8800 sequencer in pattern mode

In song mode on mv8800 options are there for separate sync, mmc, mtc on/off or receive/send channels.

I found that the tempo clock division options on the Mother 32 really work well if you have no option to turn sync off. So external sequencer start also starts Mother 32 sequencer but you can match up clock divisions on simple sequences fed to Mother 32 to just have the individual notes played by the Mother 32.

I can work within this limitation easy I think. Maybe check external sequencer options too as I found my song mode on my mv8800 very easy to turn sync off but still send mtc to the Mother and my other instruments. Sequencer then doesn't auto start on the Mother 32 but lfo clocked rates still match tempo.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Well, a little more exploring and found where to turn off sync in pattern mode on mv8800. Cool.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)