New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
monads

Post by monads » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:06 pm

godzilla wrote: i think it will probably be something we've been asking for:
-cheap synth
-drum machine
-sequencer
I will only get exited if it's a drum machine or sequencer. Maybe a vocoder, but I doubt that's on the radar. If it's another pedal, fooger, budget monosynth then I'm sure to spend my money on better needs.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:50 pm

I heard that it is the new Moog nail clipper set which will allow one to move fingers freely and evenly up and down the kybd, toggle swithches and adjust knobs without fear of scratching the face plate. :lol:
Mini D, P'08 ..

martin

Post by martin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:57 pm

they're gonna make an all digital synth with 1 dco and a built in calculator that goes dweet dwoot dwoing.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:34 pm

The Moog Wallet-Emptier.

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm

I've posted this before, but:
I just can't imagine why anyone would want a drum machine or sequencer at ALL anymore, let alone one made by Moog... who is not and never was known for drum machines or sequencers.
With the advent of software sequencers and samplers, why on earth would anyone need a NEW drum machine? What exactly would Moog bring to a drum machine that hasn't been brought by others for the past 25 years? The market for an analog-source drum machine, I think, would be too small to warrant production... and it would be too expensive for those who would probably be most interested in it!
And as for sequencer... unless you're talking about an analog sequencer... which again only appeals to a very small crowd... what is Moog, known for a great filter and great analog devices... going to bring to a sequencer??
I think I'm in agreement with the people who want an affordable monosynth...
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

martin

Post by martin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 pm

mo-du-lar! mo-du-lar!

:mrgreen:

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:31 pm

hmm

interesting thought about the anti-sequencer side
they are more likely to come out with products which have good sound quality, which implies sounds.

analog seq would be cool but you can already get replicas of old moog ones

if it is a drum machine it would have to be less than the 400-500 range, or i couldn't justify spending the money on it.
if they come out with a cool back to basics (not simple but user friendly with dedicated controls rather than function buttons) analog drum-machine that sounds cool for around 300 I certainly won't be complaining!

i'm hoping for a monosynth with cool features/sound/build/look for under 1500

monads

Post by monads » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:04 am

godzilla wrote:if it is a drum machine it would have to be less than the 400-500 range, or i couldn't justify spending the money on it.
Forget about it then. Not going to happen, that's cheaper than some foogers! Surely it would be in the range of $1500-1700 being a moog product competing directly with the Machindrum and new JoMox Xbase999. Assuming it could offer more or less the same features with a moog spin on it.
museslave wrote:who is not and never was known for drum machines or sequencers. With the advent of software sequencers and samplers, why on earth would anyone need a NEW drum machine? What exactly would Moog bring to a drum machine that hasn't been brought by others for the past 25 years?
1st it's called product diversification. It's something different, new and exciting for them. And why would anyone need a new drum machine, with software and that has already been done in the past 25 years??? That's like saying why make any new analog monosynths that has already been done. Why do we need Ken's M5 when we already have the Arp 2600? Why make the Voyager when you already have the Model D, Crumar Spirit. Please Dave no Evolover I alredy have a Prophet 5. Doepfer, please no more modules, you too Serge, Modcan. I have software that can do this etc? The same reasoning could be argued here.

Perhaps moog can take what's been done in the those years and do something different. Elektron did it. And don't even bring the software vs. hardware debate here. I like hands on. Don't really care for software much. People like me don't mind paying for a fine crafted instrument like the voyager and others will agree. But it's pretty obvious people value the hardware and sound they put out because they keep demanding a budget monosynth when they just as well could go software/softsynth. Just because you appeal to a small niche crowd doen't mean you're not successful. Buchla 200e anyone? If it is a budget monosynth I'm happy for you guys though :D But I'll empty my moog funds to another vendor.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:07 am

although i agree with you about "hands on" i think performance is a much larger factor when it comes to keys than a drum-machine, unless they release another drum controller?

if it is a monosynth i hope they give it a nice long ribbon control!

martin

Post by martin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:01 am

awesome idea with the ribbon control.
would be cool though to have an OS-less and screenless synth. just the knobs and the sounds.

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 am

Why not reuse some of the Voyager components and make a simple 2 VCO sizer with 1 VCF, 2 ADSR and an LFO. A new modulation bus that can route e.g. LFO to all/nothing, only mono out, simpler knobs and switches, no wood, get the 37 key (M.E.K=Mono evolver keyboard), take away the touch-pad and all the fancypantsy software features.

I would buy that too… it’s a moog. 8)

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

martin

Post by martin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:45 am

i'd buy the simplesizer (but not an early model).

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 am

if it only has one ADSR it should have an AR as well.

it has to have wood!
if the moogerfoogers get wood, then so should the low cost synth!!

Jyoti

Post by Jyoti » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:28 am

museslave wrote: With the advent of software sequencers and samplers, why on earth would anyone need a NEW drum machine? What exactly would Moog bring to a drum machine that hasn't been brought by others for the past 25 years? The market for an analog-source drum machine, I think, would be too small to warrant production... and it would be too expensive for those who would probably be most interested in it!
And as for sequencer... unless you're talking about an analog sequencer... which again only appeals to a very small crowd... what is Moog, known for a great filter and great analog devices... going to bring to a sequencer??
While I agree that Moog may not be the obvious company to make a sequencer or drum machine, I disagree with the rest.

I've just stopped using Logic Pro + Mac G5 to record with because of its crappy MIDI timing and time-sucking interface. My Monomachine and Machinedrum blow it out of the water in timing and usability. And the Mono sequencing my Voyager sounds simply amazing. Now I just need to buy another 5 Voyagers! :wink:

I know that may sound very picky and maybe most people aren't bothered by slack MIDI timing / poor user interfaces but I'd counter that a lot of people can't see why I'd buy a monosynth that costs two grand (UK). My answer? Just listen to the thing! :shock:

My wish for a new product: a modern Memorymoog (my ancient one is on the fritz again). Or perhaps a modern Rogue so that poorer musicians could get their hands on a new, cheap Moog?

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:58 pm

godzilla wrote:if it only has one ADSR it should have an AR as well.
Why do you say this? I always wondered why my old ARP Odyssey had an AR instead of another ADSR...
Thanks Bob!!