Patch for ELP's "From the Beginning" for the Voyag

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
GregAE

Re: Patch for ELP's "From the Beginning" for the Voyag

Post by GregAE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 pm

yesman wrote:I was thinking that the lower pitched VCO was modulating the VCF that the high pitched VCO was feeding. I remember it as a tone like when you whistle and hum at the same time, you get those additional sidebands.
That's exactly what I've always thought about that sound - that the lower pitched VCO was modulating the filter. Seems easy enough to create in theory, but I've never gotten *that* sound with the Voyager.

It remains elusive for me...

- Greg

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:25 am

Yes... the technical stuff you mentioned I don't understand at all (YET), but I definitely agree with the whistle/hum thing... that's the charm of the sound. Have you heard the preset patch that comes with the Voyager?

yesman

Post by yesman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 am

OK, try this out. I checked out the factory patch, don't think it is that near - good sound though.

Glide = ON
Glide Rate = 4.5 (position)

Mod Wheel Bus
Source-OSC 3
Destination-OSC 2
Shaping-
Amount-2 (position)
Wheel- to taste (about 1/4 seems good today)

Osc 1 -
Osc 2 - Octave = 2' - Wave = 0(position)
Osc 3 - Octave = 32' - Wave = 0-2(position) playing with this will change the character of the modulation

Mixer osc 1
Mixer Osc 2 = 10
Mixer Osc 3 = 3

Filter cutoff = 1K (value)
Spacing = 0 (value) (ie, straight up)
Resonance = 1 (value) Playing with this will alter the VCF character, high settings will also cause a drop in the low freq. content level
KB Cont. Amt. = 10 (value) I think there needs to be a high level for this as the upper notes will drop in volume
Filter Mode set to Dual Low Pass

Filter Envelope: A = 1:00 (position) - D = 3(position) - S = 3 (value) - R = 1 Sec. (position) - Amt to filter = 2 (value)

Amp Envelope: A = 10 (position) - D = 11 (position) - S = 7 (position) - R = 2:00 (position)

This is my take on it so far. I find that the modulation should be fairly light and I am mixing in VCO 3 at a low level. Emerson did have the start to his modular system for this recording, so he may have used that, this would give access to sine wave OSC outputs which would have a smoother character both as a tone and a modulation source. Also the modulation could be to a VCA as opposed to a VCF. Some reverb goes along way. Emerson did patch the reverb in the modular between the VCOs and the VCF if I remember (from a magazine article). And who can say what EQ , etc. was involved. post your version!

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 am

As promised, I've locked my newbie ass in the house and have been working very hard on recreating this patch. I think I'm finally in the neighborhood. Smell what I'm cook'n?

Stay tuned.

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:20 am

.... yeah, stay tuned.... I gave up and sold the Voyager. Here we are 4 years later and I've recently purchased another one, with an original minimoog model D on the way! Still can't get that damned patch though. Found this link that explains it - not perfect, but it's the closest I've heard yet. His playing is a little distracting to say the least, he be states that it can be done on any synth as long as you can "bypass the filter with the upper oscillator". Is this possible on the Voyager?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvx1p4Z0II

Even with the help of the video, I still can't get it as close as he did. Very frustrating!

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 am

It's so funny, but here I am 4 years later, still locked in my room, still trying to make this patch... I think I may be getting in the ball park. I posted a video, but it sounds much closer in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjbMZvEguA4