Using clock without the sequencer running

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Chouchone

Using clock without the sequencer running

Post by Chouchone » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Hello,

I received my Mother-32, I am pretty satisfied. There is just one thing that I wasn't able to understand.
Can you use the clock signal when the sequencer is not running ? I put my "assign" output in the "Clock" configuration: "This output a 0 to +5V Clock signal at the internal clock rate", but the signal is only being send when I start the sequencer.

Thanks for anyone that can help me.

manick

Re: Using clock without the sequencer running

Post by manick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi, I just tested this by setting the assignable output mode to "2: Sequencer Clock", with the default settings as on page 7.
To hear the output of the ASSIGN, I used one patch cable from ASSIGN to VCF Cutoff (but also others like VCF RES, VCO LIN FM, VCO 1V/OCT, MIX CV etc. are well audible).
Then I set the VCA MODE to "ON" (=Drone Mode :wink: )... like this you can hear that there is nothing sent to the ASSIGN, as long as the sequencer is not running.

Chouchone

Post by Chouchone » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Oh well, that also the conclusion I got with the same experiments.
I hoped that there was some options in the menus that I missed but it seems it's not the case.

I really wanted to be able to read my DAW clock from the midi without the sequencer running, as the sequencer is always playing the VCO.
That's a big disappointment for me, I will contact Moog to know if we can hope to have such feature in a futur firmware.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:27 pm

It's a small one voice modular. If they put everything in it that people wanted, it would become something quite different (plus more expensive).

It's great for what it is, just as long as we control our 'feature creep' demands...

:)

Stephen

Chouchone

Post by Chouchone » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:37 pm

The mother is still a fantastic instrument, but when I was reading about it I understood that we would be able to use the clock from the DAW, as a basic midi module.Yes, we are able to do it, but I don't understand their choice to make it only usable when the sequencer is running, as the sequencer is tied to the VCO and the EG of the module. If the clock is a firmware based signal, I would have liked such options.

But well, it's the way it is, I don't think it's useful to keep talking about it, I will still try to contact them about this feature, maybe it's something they cannot even change with an update.

Thanks for help !

tony_tone

Post by tony_tone » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Oh man I was trying to work out the exact same thing today!

If you contact moog could you please share your answer if there's any way to do this

Cheers!