Werkstatt+EHX 8 Step program= Moog Mother 32?

Everything Werkstatt.
Patch_adams

Werkstatt+EHX 8 Step program= Moog Mother 32?

Post by Patch_adams » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Hey guys, first time poster here. I have a few questions about my Werkstatt (which is my first Moog) that I absolutely love. Like most, I placed an order in November for the Mother 32 and I am waiting on confirmation of shipment. Impulsively, I also bought the Werkstatt to eventually hook up to the M32. While doing research I have read a few things about how the Mother is basically a Werkstatt with a sequencer and some other bells and whistles. Is this true? I'm still excited for the Mother 32 but I'm wondering if I bought a sequencer like the Electro Harmonix 8 step program (or something similar, suggestions?) and hooked it up to the Werkstatt, would I more or less have a M-32? In the description for the Mother, it says it's a perfect companion to the Werkstatt. True or just a good sales pitch? Sorry for the noob questions. This is (obviously) my first foray into synths which I know can be a rabbit hole. I'm just trying to understand all my options. Either way I can't wait to hook these up to each other.

slabwax

Re: Werkstatt+EHX 8 Step program= Moog Mother 32?

Post by slabwax » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:25 pm

I think the answer would be, kind of sort of. From my understanding the M32 and the Werkstatt share a similar synth engine but the M32 also appears to be a little more full featured. High pass filter for starts. Also the M32 has much more cv i/o control as well as midi in.

As far as a seq. for the Werkstatt, I use a Beat Step Pro with mine. The gate out on the Werkstatt works in reverse as a gate in.

grenert

Post by grenert » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:28 pm

The Mother-32 sequencer is a lot more sophisticated than the one in the EHX pedal.
It does seem that much of the voice architecture is similar, excluding highpass filter as mentioned, and simultaneous saw/pulse waves. I only have a Werkstatt, so can't do more than speculate. I can say it sounds great, however!
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

grenert

Post by grenert » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:30 pm

slabwax wrote:As far as a seq. for the Werkstatt, I use a Beat Step Pro with mine. The gate out on the Werkstatt works in reverse as a gate in.
Does the BSP trigger the Werkstatt envelope when used this way? The Korg SQ-1 won't, unfortunately.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M

Patch_adams

Post by Patch_adams » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:41 pm

slabwax wrote: As far as a seq. for the Werkstatt, I use a Beat Step Pro with mine. The gate out on the Werkstatt works in reverse as a gate in.

Thanks for the reply. There is so much involved with this form of music that it makes my head spin but in a good way. I guess my next question is will the Mothers sequencer also run the Werkstatt if I hook them up together or would it make sense to get something like the BSP or an Akai MPK 25 as well? Everyone posting videos with the M32 has a midi controller of some sort. I play guitar and love pedals so the familiarity of EHX stood out to me to run the Werkstatt but it seems a midi controller would be a better option? I can alreaDy see how addicting this can become.

Patch_adams

Post by Patch_adams » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:44 pm

grenert wrote:The Mother-32 sequencer is a lot more sophisticated than the one in the EHX pedal.
It does seem that much of the voice architecture is similar, excluding highpass filter as mentioned, and simultaneous saw/pulse waves. I only have a Werkstatt, so can't do more than speculate. I can say it sounds great, however!
Agreed. I was blown away how great the Werkstatt sounded and can't wait to hook it up to a Mother.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:30 am

Yes, my BSP triggers my werkstatt without any problem (I was sad the SQ1 wouldn't as well).

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Patch_adams wrote:...will the Mothers sequencer also run the Werkstatt if I hook them up together...?
Yes it will. Just run a cable from the CV output on the Mother to the CV input on the Werkstatt. This is where the mini-phone extension comes in real handy.

Stephen

CharlesDeBose

Post by CharlesDeBose » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 am

Hello there.

I also have a Werkstatt and as this is my first piece of analog gear I am a complete beginner. I was going to get cv expander with a SQ1... After reading this thread and other threads, I'm getting some mixed messages. Which is the sure shot for the Werkstatt beat step or SQ1?

I was also thinking of picking up a used electribe ea or er or em (super cheap in Japan) and using it as a midi sequencer for longer sequences...
Does anyone think this would be possible? Or should I focus on something a little more recently made??

grenert

Post by grenert » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:43 pm

I can't comment on either of the Beatstwp or Beatstep Pro, as I don't have them. Toryjames above seems to have good functioning with the BSP, however. The SQ-1 does not trigger the Werkstatt envelope, so will not fully work (note is either on or off, but nothing else). Personally, that is insufficient for me, so will probably modify the WS to get it to work.
MIDI sequencing will not work because it has no MIDI!

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:36 pm

I have heard the original Beatstep does not have a strong enough trigger voltage for opening the gate/env on the Werkstatt and neither does the SQ1 (5 volts I'm guessing) but the Beatstep Pro puts out a stronger trigger (8-10 volts) that works well in my experience. The Beatstep and SQ1 control voltages work fine controlling other aspects of the Werkstatt (pitch, filter, volume, etc.).

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:14 pm

The EHX 8-Step can only be a modulation source, because as far as I know, it doesn't send gate CV. It's just sending a generic voltage that's fine for things like frequency cutoff, but not consistent enough for pitch, and you'd have to get a gate signal from something else.

I use a beatstep pro, daily. It's more than enough to do everything you can think of with a werkstatt, and would even make a great addition to the mother32, using it's multiple sequencer lanes to transpose the built-in sequencer, and do some crazy modulations at the same time.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:38 pm

jsharpphoto wrote: using it's multiple sequencer lanes to transpose the built-in sequencer, and do some crazy modulations at the same time.
So can the BeatSteps' two sequencer lanes behave independently of each other with different tempos, numbers of steps, etc? Or do they always have to be synced?
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:46 pm

MaxFerency wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote: using it's multiple sequencer lanes to transpose the built-in sequencer, and do some crazy modulations at the same time.
So can the BeatSteps' two sequencer lanes behave independently of each other with different tempos, numbers of steps, etc? Or do they always have to be synced?
They are always sync'd to the same clock, but have:

1. Independent control number of steps
2. Independent clock division
3. Independent direction (forward, backward, back and forth, random, etc.)
4. Independent swing control (if you want swing)
5. Independent randomized fills.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Ok thanks.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202