[Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Everything Sub.
chicovinko

Re: [Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Post by chicovinko » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 am

... I also just noticed that the BEND UP and BEND DOWN values don't really work properly.

When BEND UP is set to+24, it only gets to about +19 when you bend the not (when BEND DOWN is at -0)
If BEND DOWN is set to -24, then bending the wheel up results in about a +27 in pitch.

I love the Sub 37, but with this issue I don't consider it to be properly playable. I would hate to return this for something else.

For the people at Moog: Is this a problem across the board with all Sub 37s, or just a certain batch/supply?

Thank you

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:10 pm

chicovinko wrote:... I also just noticed that the BEND UP and BEND DOWN values don't really work properly.

When BEND UP is set to+24, it only gets to about +19 when you bend the not (when BEND DOWN is at -0)
If BEND DOWN is set to -24, then bending the wheel up results in about a +27 in pitch.

I love the Sub 37, but with this issue I don't consider it to be properly playable. I would hate to return this for something else.

For the people at Moog: Is this a problem across the board with all Sub 37s, or just a certain batch/supply?

Thank you
We are very sorry to hear you are having this issue. In most cases, it is a simple calibration issue that we can walk you through over the phone. If it is a bad pitch wheel, we can easily send you a replacement that takes 5 minutes to drop in.

Please give us a call on Monday and we will take care of your issue immediately - 828-251-0090

-Your Friends at Moog

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:39 pm

hi Chic, i just wanted to add that i thought i had this problem with my Sub Phatty, but it turned out to be problem in the first patch i used to make sounds from, where the oscillator pitch offset setting was out, and then i continued to make sounds from this one sound and before i knew it i had made 16 sounds and save them all, and then suddenly all the presets had this problem and i thought it was a problem with the Pitch wheel hardware!

Moog walked me through it and i also did the calibration instructions and it all came good.

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 am

Hi guys,

Andy from the Moog Tech Lab here.

If recalibrating the pitch wheel(and other pots) is not permanently correcting the issue, and it does not appear to be an EEPROM issue as described by Amos above, then it is entirely possible that there is a defective or damaged potentiometer in the pitch wheel.

We will be happy to assist you with setting up an RMA to get your synth repaired under warranty, and we apologize for the trouble. We test all of our gear very thoroughly before it leaves our factory, but despite our best efforts at due diligence sometimes these types of situations occur.

Rest assured, Moog will stand behind our products, and we will do our best to make the repair process as quick and hassle free as possible.

Please contact me directly for assistance in setting up the RMA: [email protected] or by phone (828) 251-0090 (tech support extensions are 221, 217, and 204).

Thank you,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

gian77

Post by gian77 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:08 am

Hi,

First of all, i want to wish you all a happy new year ;)

Yesterday i noticed wrong behavior of the pitch wheel on my Sub 37.

MIDI-Monitor gave me these values :
- Low position : 14
- Center : 85
- High position : 127 (value get before reaching the higher position)

As related in this post, a wheel calibration could resolve the problem.
In // of this post, i sent an e-mail to Andy in order to get the sysex file and instructions to perform this calibration.

I recently updated to 1.1.13 firmware version, i don’t know if the issue appeared at this moment.
The editor report these wrong values (as soon as i touch the wheel) :

Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

synththeory

Post by synththeory » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:42 pm

gian77 wrote:Hi,

First of all, i want to wish you all a happy new year ;)

Yesterday i noticed wrong behavior of the pitch wheel on my Sub 37.

MIDI-Monitor gave me these values :
- Low position : 14
- Center : 85
- High position : 127 (value get before reaching the higher position)

As related in this post, a wheel calibration could resolve the problem.
In // of this post, i sent an e-mail to Andy in order to get the sysex file and instructions to perform this calibration.

I recently updated to 1.1.13 firmware version, i don’t know if the issue appeared at this moment.
The editor report these wrong values (as soon as i touch the wheel) :

Hi, I have exactly the same issue and updated to 1.1.13 as soon as I received my Sub37 so like you , do not know if it was present before the firmware update. Patch plays at correct pitch before using pitch bend and then pitch is incorrect after.

my Image grab from editor seems to exact same as yours:
PB.PNG
PB.PNG (28.73 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
I have contacted support.
Beta test system:Windows7 x 64 pro SP1/Cubase Pro 8.0.35/Cubase Pro 8.5/Intel i7 3770k 4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM, SSD System Drive/RME interfaces

synththeory

Post by synththeory » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Update:

I reckon it is a dodgy pot'!

After going from max to min on the pitch bend wheel afew times the pitch wheel will not pitch down and on the editor the pitch wheel GUI is stuck at the bottom. The pitch is stuck a semitone down after using the pitch wheel. Leading up to this midi monitor was reading inconsistent values for the return to centre.

Have contacted support but I am not optimistic that this can be easily solved with calibration as I have had pitch bend pot issues with various synths in the past and a dodgy pot is a dodgy pot.
Beta test system:Windows7 x 64 pro SP1/Cubase Pro 8.0.35/Cubase Pro 8.5/Intel i7 3770k 4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM, SSD System Drive/RME interfaces

gian77

Post by gian77 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:22 am

Hi Synththeory,

Pot calibration didn't worked for me :(

I performed it several times and always get these new values :
- Low : 0 (calibration seems to work because it was 12 before)
- Center : 62
- High : 127 (but reached at 80% of the curse)

I tested the high position calibration with the pitch wheel released to the center and get a good 0 to 127 curse from the lower position to the center.

Tech support are very helpful, RMA is in progress to change the LHC (Left Hand Controller).
Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

synththeory

Post by synththeory » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:48 am

gian77 wrote:Hi Synththeory,

Pot calibration didn't worked for me :(

I performed it several times and always get these new values :
- Low : 0 (calibration seems to work because it was 12 before)
- Center : 62
- High : 127 (but reached at 80% of the curse)

I tested the high position calibration with the pitch wheel released to the center and get a good 0 to 127 curse from the lower position to the center.

Tech support are very helpful, RMA is in progress to change the LHC (Left Hand Controller).
Hi gian77, RMA in progress for me too. The pot is definitely faulty or the wheel has completely slipped off the optimal position on the pot shaft due to whatever reason, I am not sure how the wheel position is fixed to the pot shaft in the Sub 37)

Was good to go through the calibration process, even though it did not work. (which I kinda expected)