Smartest purchase tactic

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Buzrei

Smartest purchase tactic

Post by Buzrei » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:01 am

How is it best to buy the new mom. Is it best to buy two of them and couple with other devices? Or is it best to buy three moms at one time. Or is it best to buy one with either a sub phatty or sub 37 or little/slim phatty. What's the best scenario??? Just a mom and learn it then choose..... Just asking

Bertotti

Re: Smartest purchase tactic

Post by Bertotti » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:57 am

If I had the cash I would do the sub 37 first, much more machine, and add moms as I go. If I was short on cash and I didn't want to wait and save for the sub 37 then I would go for the mom, in my case I went for a Minitaur, but I really wanted that tone. I will chase one of the others next year, which will depend on how much patience I can muster. Good hunting!

Buzrei

Post by Buzrei » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:04 pm

I have thought about the sub 37 and do like it but mostly for the sequencer. I am, I think a die hard little/slim phatty lover considering I still don't own one at this time. I love the Minitaur too and do intend to get one. I want the mother beause of the sequencer which is a device I too don't own at this time. The sound of the mom to me seems closer to the slim/little phatty and minimoog than the others I've heard. (I am a fifties child) I also consider it extremely important to be able to use the patch points of mom to be able to expand ever so much more. I think that with moms patch points and a little with the stage 2 cv out kit that the combo would probably rival a minimoog sound wise . I don't know for sure but I think it's gonna be kinda close. I could be wrong which is why I'm asking this question at this time because I'm close to getting a slight moog package of sorts at this time and am trying to sort out whats the best combination to get. should I get aminmal pkg and a strymon etc? you see.

I was gonna get a slim or little and Minitaur earlier this year and just as the money became a real option the Mother 32 came around and put the kibosh on all that but, in a good way. So now Xmas is about and I'm thinking nows a good time or maybe early january that way it doesnt interfere with the family needs (already getting the stink eye from my wife on any mention of "my toys" as she calls it. So considering the stink eye affect which is the most intelligent purchase tactic and of course I'm familiar with the se1x but is it a distraction or should it also be considered........

Edit there is a guy named Genshi Media Group on you tube that makes the best music using 2 and or 3 moms and other farkles that would make my wife cringe. That is the what I'm after sound wise but like I said before whats the best combo towards that end. At this time I can do about 2500. in damage without being ushered from my home by police, assisted by big brothers and dad.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:58 pm

See if NovaMusik can get you the best deal on one, whatever you want to do.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Buzrei wrote:
Edit there is a guy named Genshi Media Group on you tube that makes the best music using 2 and or 3 moms and other farkles that would make my wife cringe. That is the what I'm after sound wise but like I said before whats the best combo towards that end. At this time I can do about 2500. in damage without being ushered from my home by police, assisted by big brothers and dad.
:) Thank you for the plug! I appreciate that! I own both the Sub 37 as well as three Moog Mother-32s (as you already mentioned)... but it really depends on what your experience is with music/synths and what you are trying to achieve. There is a Mother-32 group on Facebook and there are a couple of guys, new to music, that jumped in and bought two Mother-32s (and a bunch of other stuff) but they seem to be struggling with making any sort of actual music with it all; they just seem a bit lost... You got to walk before you run, ya know?

In my case, though I had the Sub 37 for my recording studio, and I love it to death, I've been wanting to get into Eurorack Modular for my live performances, but found an even basic, two row system was just too expensive (every time I priced out a Eurorack system, it came to $4000!) Then Moog announced the Mother-32 and unveiled that initial video with Max, Bana and Erika, and I knew right away that I needed three of them because I knew exactly what I was going to do with them. What surprised me was how well they recorded... they seem to have a very Vintage Moog sound, even more so than any other modern Moog.

So, I would say, if you are new to all of this stuff, get one Mother-32, try it out and see how you like it. You can always build on it further. You may decide to add on to it with additional Eurorack modules instead of going the fixed synth route like a Sub 37. The Mother-32 is a great gateway for both fixed synths as well as Modulars... Moog really knocked it out of the park with this one!

EDIT: Also, you will want to get a good delay pedal for your Mother-32 (I tend to like delay over reverb for analog synths as you can simulate "reverb" with a delay, but not the other way around.) And though I am sure the Moog delays are great (never used them yet) my favorite is the Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo. I pair it with all of my analog synths! Just sounds beautiful and vintage!

EDIT 2: You mentioned January is right around the corner, and it is! That means (in case you didn't know) the NAMM show is also just around the corner in January... that's where all the Music Manufacturers debut and/or announce new products. Moog may be announcing something then as well. My hope is that it will be "children" modules to go along with the Mother-32 (why else would they name it "Mother"?) So, in my opinion, I would buy a Mother-32 and a good delay pedal; save the rest of your money until after NAMM so you won't be disappointed if something ultra cool comes out and you've already spent all of your money!

Buzrei

Post by Buzrei » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Mr. Genshi himself this is indeed an honor, and you are very welcome. Your music offerings are exactly what I intend to try and accomplish. I already own a few baubles (Alesis ion, a minibrute I had a microbrute also but sold it on an impulse to get a pedal that I thought I could not do without. I've got some Fender, Epiphone Novation, Yamaha stuff and Roland of course). But no Moog yet, as I wrote earlier I like the sound of the of the older moog devices over the newer ones this is why I prefer the slim or little phatty over the sub 37. Also I think the cv out option would be a real plus to be able to get as close to the voyager as possible and be able to get some more oscillators within the price range that I have. My thinking or want here is to be able to achieve synth chording for synth sound structure, which is why I'd would like to have 2 or 3 of the mono voiced items. There are a few vids on you tube that show a stacked phatty arrangement that is what got me started towards this, and then the Mothership came on the scene and out the window went that want and here we are taking now.
I too will be struggling to make anything anyone would like to hear this is entirely a hobby for me. I came up as sousaphone player in hs and really love the bass. I also was a chorus member for a lot of years so for me I'm quite abnormal musically. I don't think I fit into the puzzle the same as others do.
One of my things I currently enjoy doing is to listen and play along with others as I record my output and then go back and listen to that without the original input to see if anything developes and then build upon that.
Pedals I have a Nova delay and reverb and today I bought a Nova modulation pedal too, so for now I think I'm covered. Eventually I do want a Big Sky or Strymon but it will be as sound dictates if that ever happens.
You mentioned Namm and I must admit I did not think of that at all. This of course puts every thing on hold again because there could be more damage done if I did'nt wait you are so right my man so right, Thank You so much for chiming in.

zen4one

Post by zen4one » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 pm

I'd also like to put in a plug and Thanks to the great music and videos by Genshi Media! Having thrown myself back into getting a keyboard studio setup in the last few months his forum comments and especially his YouTube videos have been informative and musically great!

I decided to go with the "bit of everything" approach - Sub 37, Minitaur and just pre-ordered a single Mother 32. That along with some Mooger Foogers and the Akai keyboard for Midi should be a ton of fun for learning and exploration. Can't wait for a couple of weeks break in business travel over the holidays to start putting it all together...
~ Ward ~ zen4one ~

Moog Sub 37, Mother 32, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-105M, M-107
Other Akai Advance 49, Beatstep Pro
System Windows 10 Pro, Ableton Live 9.6, Scarlett 6i6, MOTU micro lite

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:51 pm

zen4one wrote:I'd also like to put in a plug and Thanks to the great music and videos by Genshi Media! Having thrown myself back into getting a keyboard studio setup in the last few months his forum comments and especially his YouTube videos have been informative and musically great!

I decided to go with the "bit of everything" approach - Sub 37, Minitaur and just pre-ordered a single Mother 32. That along with some Mooger Foogers and the Akai keyboard for Midi should be a ton of fun for learning and exploration. Can't wait for a couple of weeks break in business travel over the holidays to start putting it all together...
You guys are gonna make me blush! It really does mean a lot to me though, that people are appreciating my efforts... so thanks to you all!

And that'll be a nice setup with those three Moogs; Minitaur handling the bass, the Sub 37 doing either leads or pseudo chords and the Mother-32 doing interesting sequencing and/or percussive stuff.

- Craig (a.k.a. genshi or jido-genshi of Genshi Media Group)

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:14 pm

I've been looking at the Mother to augment my Sub37 but the only thing that deters me is that you can't polychain it like you can the Slim or Minitaur, right? If you could do that it would be the perfect addition for me considering the CV out but without that it seems limited in potential as a pair, or am I missing something there?
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Buzrei

Post by Buzrei » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:32 am

Ok have a mother and a slim phatty but I find I gravitate to the slim way more often than I do the mom. Its time for me to buy more gear if I can figure out which is the more sane to do. Mom has an in\out patch bay and a single osc. which if thoughtful can be manipulated to become more, but the filter as it stands leaves a little to be desired and I don't want at this time to go modular. I understand this and find myself a little uncomfortable compounding the mom because I always warmup and spend my time with the slim. Don't get me wrong I don't intend to sell or get rid of mom it's just that I am so preoccupied at this time with the facilities that the slim has to offer.The slim has 2 osc and a much more encaptivating filter setup but no cv outs. But you can polychain them to get your sonic goodness on but it has no cv outs. I do find myself sometimes alone with mom and must admit her learning curve is a steep one considering the sequencer and that vague manual that came with it. I have a beatstep pro still in the box for sequence related stuff beyond mom when needed. I feel that with the right amount of time behind us, I too will come to cherish the mom as i do the slim but at this time I'm at a cross road.
I kinda wish I had not bought the two platforms at the same time. You know this purchase started out as I was gonna get a minitaur but through research I found it has its limitations too . So I went from there to considering an erebus or maybe a lancet 15 or a blofeld but I came down to wanting another mother or slim and then I can branch out from there. So how about it, which one is the better buy? What would you guys do? I can do either one but only one at this time. And no I'm not interested in opening up any new distractions because these two are intense enough for me at this time. I think two moms and a slim would be a sweet combo but I'd never be able to forgive myself if I did'nt pose this dilema to my peers and consider your input too if anyone cares to elaborate.