Good compact keyboard for mothers?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
DaveBee

Good compact keyboard for mothers?

Post by DaveBee » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 pm

This question is more about available midi keyboards. I have 2 mothers on order. While I have 2 keyboard synths (incl Sub 37) and a 61 key remote ... I was thinking it might be convenient to have a dedicated compact keyboard for the mothers and maybe any future modules. The mothers will be close to my Sub 37 and I would like to play the two mothers as a separate synth ... at the same time as a different patch on the Sub 37 ... otherwise I would just midi out from the Sub 37.

Requirements are a half decent keyboard 25-32 keys (37 max) with pitch bend and mod wheel. Aftertouch and velocity would be nice ... maybe not essential. A midi out port and powered via power supply rather than usb to computer ... which I don't really need. I also don't need or really want a bunch of buttons/sliders/pads for controlling a daw.

If I could just cut off the keyboard from a sub phatty with the octave transpose that would be perfect! I even considered buying a sub phatty but seems a might bit of overkill lol. Also not really keen on getting a micro/mini brute just for a keyboard.

Checking out sweetwater catalog and mostly seeing controllers made to connect to and control daw via usb.

Any suggestions?

Bald Eagle

Re: Good compact keyboard for mothers?

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:36 am

CME XKey 37. It has MIDI DIN out via included adapter cable. Velocity and Aftertouch. Pitch bend and Mod buttons (not wheels). USB powered but an iPhone charger or similar would work. Keys are full size but flat so a little getting used to.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XKey37

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks for the suggestion Bald Eagle. It's not traditional design but looks like it has all the basic specs. Will give this one a closer look thanks. Worst case scenario I might just use my Remote 61 and see how that goes. Seeing as I just ordered the mothers though I may not need to deal with this for a couple of months or more ack.

dumbledog

Post by dumbledog » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Yeah I use the XKey 37 and it's great. Only annoying part is that it tends to be a bit... clacky.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:55 am

I use the Keith McMillen QeNexus. It may look small, but it's incredibly expressive. Many of the Modular guys use this because of the optional CV Out Kit, but I use it with the MIDI Out (You would need the optional MIDI Expander, but it still comes in less than the XKey.) Here's a video of me testing it out for the first time with two Mother-32s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7VxECHLkQ

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks for suggestions all. After more online research I ordered an Akai MPK225 (25 key). One left in the store so I jumped on it. It seems to have all the features I wanted and a bit more. It has MIDI out and also accepts an expression or sustain pedal. Also midi in to set tempo which seems like will allow me to clock sync to my Rytm. I didn't really need mobility either. Also a built-in arpeggiator to play the mothers with so I think that will be a cool addition.

It will be weird having an extra keyboard arrive before the mothers .... poor lil orphan :lol:

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:04 pm

I have the QuNexus and like it but the variability of the sweet spot pad to pad drives me nuts when I use it with velocity.

I so want the new Roli Rise!

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Bertotti wrote:I have the QuNexus and like it but the variability of the sweet spot pad to pad drives me nuts when I use it with velocity.

I so want the new Roli Rise!
Wow, the Roli Rise looks very interesting! Now I am thinking about selling my Linnstrument to get one (more suited to what I am looking for in an MPE controlller, even if it's only 2 octaves). It is unfortunate that the Rise is only MIDI over USB though...

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:15 pm

I wonder is the mid converter for the QuNexus specific to the QuNexus?

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:37 pm

I have been doing some reading and it seems the KMI midi expander is just for some of their products but something like the iconnectmidi would work to cover the usb to din, and if I understand correctly you could even do so with out the need to be connected to a computer. I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I will have a rise in a week. I don'y have a mother yet but I do have a Minitaur I can only assume if it works well wit it it will work as well with mother. I will let you know.