Any Mother-32 Questions?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
mmarsh100

Re: Any Mother-32 Questions?

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:50 pm

If you haven't already, make the one-time investment of memorizing how to quickly put all the knobs to their actual INIT PRESET values.
I use a preset for that.

:P

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:05 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:
If you haven't already, make the one-time investment of memorizing how to quickly put all the knobs to their actual INIT PRESET values.
I use a preset for that. :P
You're missing the point. Yes, using an INIT PRESET electronically will get you all the default values, I'm saying that, after loading an INIT PRESET, if you then put all the knobs in the same positions as the INIT PRESET values, you then effectively have all knobs physically representing where their values actually are. It becomes a WYSIWYG synth that also has all of the best values for starting from scratch.

(Unless, of course, you were just being funny re: the "Presets Are For The Weak" response...)

{Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to who wrote it. Based on your long history of well thought out answers, it's obvious you were being funny!}
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Maybe not so funny after all :? but, yeah, it was a lame joke.

I got what you were saying, although I have to say that I don't work that way. I find an Init Preset somewhere or Init an existing one and go to town. I think I have a map in my head of where the knobs are for Init but then I physically move them to where I want them to be for the sound that also occupies my head at the moment. I love the tactile feedback of the knobs but I don't necessarily need the visual cues. At least not in all cases.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:43 am

mmarsh100 wrote:I have to say that I don't work that way. I find an Init Preset somewhere or Init an existing one and go to town. I think I have a map in my head of where the knobs are for Init but then I physically move them to where I want them to be for the sound that also occupies my head at the moment.
I'm actually the same way as you.
I do almost all of my Sub 37 in near or complete darkness other than its LEDs.
{Major props to Moog for the excellent knob layout. Every section looks and feels different.}

My "presetting-of-knobs-to-INIT PRESET-values suggestion" is for those who want a deeper and more intuitive understanding of the Sub 37.

But I still make the challenge to all Sub 37 owners:
Can you quickly set all of the Sub 37's knobs to the INIT PRESET values?
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

pnorris79

Post by pnorris79 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:47 pm

you're talking about mother-32's permanent panel mode feature! :D

It saves me from having to make sure that light is on all the time like on my sub phatty.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:02 pm

:)!

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:05 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
mmarsh100 wrote:
I use a preset for that. :P
You're missing the point. Yes, using an INIT PRESET electronically will get you all the default values, I'm saying that, after loading an INIT PRESET, if you then put all the knobs in the same positions as the INIT PRESET values, you then effectively have all knobs physically representing where their values actually are. It becomes a WYSIWYG synth that also has all of the best values for starting from scratch.
I go to PANEL mode - do an INIT - then press PRESET then PANEL again - that puts everything into WYSIWYG. I usually just save that and then edit it as a PRESET - but it's still WYSIWYG.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

0netwo0netwo

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:19 pm

yes

i would like to know why it is taking soo long for Moog to send some over to Sweetwater. I preordered mine the week they were announced and still nothing

all i hear is delays in shipments, and not the good kinds we all love

jealous that everyone else has already begun to enjoy and learn theirs

what gives?

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:24 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote:yes

i would like to know why it is taking soo long for Moog to send some over to Sweetwater. I preordered mine the week they were announced and still nothing

all i hear is delays in shipments, and not the good kinds we all love

jealous that everyone else has already begun to enjoy and learn theirs

what gives?
They have. Several times. I don't think you realize how many pre-orders there actually are...

If Moog are making these by hand (which they are) and they can make, say, 100 a week (I have no clue, just made up that number, but it could be less, or more) and they have to ship 80 of those to Guitar Center (because GC has 262 stores!) and 20 to Sweewater... and 5000 people (or more) have pre-ordered from those two retailers alone (not to mention all the hundreds of other music retailers waiting on them world-wide!), do you really think it's unreasonable that there is a bit of a delay in getting yours?

The demand for the Mother-32 was WAY higher than anyone expected!

If you had the foresight to pre-order on the very first day like many of us did, then you should have got yours by now... anytime after that, expect to wait.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Mine is finally on its way :) I ordered the *DAY AFTER* the official announcement and this is how long it took! Not complaining, my fault for waiting a day to get on a list I knew was going to be long. Tuesday is the magic day.

0netwo0netwo

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:31 pm

yeah i get that

just excited and needed to vent somewhere

i apologize if it was inconsiderate to Moog, i love them and i NEED to have them

:wink:

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:19 pm

:D don't we all! I don't think any offense was taken.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:43 pm

There are plenty of things going on 'behind the scenes' that we rarely get to hear about. For instance, I was contacted by my sales guy who forwarded a letter from Moog outlining what happened to be a bad batch of components that they found and are having to replace. This set back production by about a week. But I'd rather have a working Mother than one that I have to return even if it means waiting an extra week or so.

Moog have taken the approach of building based on orders rather than assuming that the market will buy them if they make them. This is a very sound business practice and very commendable. Again, I'd rather see everyone get their gear in good nick and also see the company remain viable for the next few decades at least. To do this requires that we all wait a bit. Once you have it you'll be able to make music on it for years and years. It will be worth the wait.

Stephen

monokit

Post by monokit » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 am

Regarding the demand...note that ppl. are often, like me, ordered not only one, but two and maybe even three! I ordered mina also as soon as the dealers here in Germany listed the Mom. But it seems this year we wont see any in Geemany anymore...

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:29 am

Ya, well I ordered four. :P

Okay, two of them were for friends and only two for myself... Still, I'll have four at my disposal for a few days until my friends come over to pick them up.

Got a great deal on them since I ordered so many.

Stephen