Sub 37 Filter Cutoff Sequencing

Everything Sub.
richc90

Sub 37 Filter Cutoff Sequencing

Post by richc90 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Does anyone know whether (and how) the sequencer on the sub 37 can be used to sequence the filter cutoff?

I want emulate something like this --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzBJhoMR4C8

Thanks!

jsharpphoto

Re: Sub 37 Filter Cutoff Sequencing

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:54 pm

The sequencer can do modulation. Modulation can effect cutoff. So yes.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Edit: it's actually directly controllable, see paul_sub37's posting below

I use a modulation bus to do this. Using modulation bus 1 (MOD 1):

- set MOD 1 SOURCE to F.EG/PGM for MOD 1
- press the CONTROLLER button of MOD 1
- select MOD 1 EDIT in the menu
- set PGM SRC in the menu to SEQ MOD

Now the recorded mod wheel settings will affect the filter cutoff when you turn up FILTER AMT for MOD 1.

It may seem counter intuitive that you must use a mod bus for this when the sequencer has the the SEQ DST and SEQ MOD AMT parameters. However, as the OP probably has discovered, the filter cutoff frequency is not in the list of destinations, so the only way to reach the filter cutoff is through a mod bus. It would be nice if the filter cutoff and a few other parameters was in the modulation destination list, but they're not. If doing the above, the SEQ DST and SEQ MOD AMT parameters are still available to control something else at the same time.
Last edited by DrJustice on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 pm

I was doing this exact thing, but I wanted to use it to add rhythmic texture to some pads and drones. And using the built in sequencer wouldn't allow this because each step would be a new note.

The work around is to use an external sequencer like the Korg SQ1. It's $99, and very useful as a cv modulation source. However, I kind of hated it as a melody source. But it was nice to be able to run and modify the sequence in real time, independently from what the sub is doing.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:55 am

There's another method discussed in this thread that uses the sequencers note velocity ...

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23586

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:25 am

DrJustice wrote:It may seem counter intuitive that you must use a mod bus for this when the sequencer has the the SEQ DST and SEQ MOD AMT parameters. However, as the OP probably has discovered, the filter cutoff frequency is not in the list of destinations, so the only way to reach the filter cutoff is through a mod bus. It would be nice if the filter cutoff and a few other parameters was in the modulation destination list, but they're not. If doing the above, the SEQ DST and SEQ MOD AMT parameters are still available to control something else at the same time.
Filter cutoff frequency *is* available as a Sequencer MOD DEST as "F. CUTOFF "- it's the second to last destination, coming before RTCHT.CT - and it works as expected in conjunction with SEQ MOD AMT, so you don't need to use up a MOD bus.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 am

^ It is indeed - thanks for correcting that! :)

It's not in the "normal" list of destinations though - I wrongly assumed that the destination lists were the same, especially since SEQ DST has no specific list of destinations mentioned in the manual. Apart from taking out OUT VOL and adding F.CUTOFF, the lists are identical. This needs documenting in the manual as the otherwise identical lists are evidently confusing (four of five people in this thread didn't spot the two differing list items...).
Last edited by DrJustice on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:49 pm

I guess the near-mythical editor/librarian will make this kind of thing more obvious... :)
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2