Touchscreen Friction

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Lengai

Touchscreen Friction

Post by Lengai » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas that will make your finger have less friction to use on the touchscreen. I've thought of a piece of nylon/silk with a rubber band or dipping my finger in candle wax but, it seems these would do damage to the surface. My finger "jumps" instead of sliding.

:?:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:08 pm

You can get some of your nose oil and use that. Thats an old bass player trick to make your hands glide smoother.

Or you can just develop some caluses.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Don't push so hard. You just have to touch, not press on the screen. Also, set the range of the axis to make it easier to control. I can get a nice trem or vibrato depending how I rock the fingertip on the pad using X,Y and Area.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Ankaret

Re: Touchscreen Friction

Post by Ankaret » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Im digging up this old thread only to ask a question about the sensitivity of the touch screen on the voyager and see what other people's experiences are...

In getting used to using the touch screen, Im noticing the threshold of sensitivity for it to register my finger is not super light. Not that I have to press it hard, but there is a range of my finger resting or touching the surface very very gently at which the surface does not register it. Is that in line with other Voyagers? For example, can you touch your finger to the pad very lightly and not have it affect the sound?

It seems like it needs to not only touch the pad, but also push hard enough to make contact with the 2nd layer of the pad or whatever it contacts underneath to register. Is this how it was designed, or is the sensitivity on my new voyager just a little weak? It is not dramatic, and maybe Im just not quite used to it yet, but sometimes I want to play the touch pad a little bit lighter and it triggers/jumps on and off when Im not intending it to. But maybe that's just an artifact of my not having learned how to "play" it well yet. Does this happen to you guys and gals, sometimes you let the pressure off but your finger is still touching the pad, but the touch trigger is totally off before you apply a bit more pressure to the contact?

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Anybody? That could shed light on the touch pad sensitivity questions I have above? Thanks in advance!

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 pm

The touch screen is completely unnatural and uncomfortable to use IMO, and the friction on it is far more than touch pads on quality notebooks. It is unusable and a waste of front panel real estate. You are right, Ankret, you need to press on the surface for it to work and this pressure causes friction. The diagonal scratches on it from the factory shows you the assemblers didn't like touching it with their fingers either.

B
I've stopped talking now.

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Hmmm. Ok so it definitely takes a bit of force to make contact and read the signal, as opposed to how say a touchpad mouse on a laptop works (the most minmal and slightest contact registers)? That's everyone else's experience?

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:09 am

So I played a moog voyager in a local shop yesterday and sad to say my brand new Voyager performer edition has a messed up sensitivity for the touch pad as I feared :(

The touch pad on the voyager in the shop was amazing, as soon as my finger made contact it was very responsive and consistent and made for extremely expressive and musical use. The one on my brand new voyager takes some pushing down and as I play that consistency of pushing down varies as I drag my finger around on the touch pad and it triggers on and off as I swipe and makes for some very clunky sounds. Basically limits the use-ability of the touch pad for me, which is a huge drag given how nice it is on the other voyager I tried.

Have any of you had a touch pad replaced by moog? Basically my options right now are to send it in to moog for hopefully having touch screen repaired/replaced or getting an exchange for another from where I bought it from online and hoping the next one is just as nice but without this problem. But Im so bonded with my current voyager which I love otherwise, and so I will probably call moog tomorrow and see how likely it is that they'd be able to sort this out nicely for me if I shipped it to them.

oyarsa

Post by oyarsa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 am

Sounds like a sketchy component. Depending on where you bought this, there should certainly be a return/exchange policy for a faulty product, after all it is under warranty and, I assume, quite new. Talk to Moog, but also talk to your dealer....if it were me with a 3k unit, I would want a replacement that worked....100%

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:43 am

I find the touchscreen very good actually. It has an area control that no other touch surface has...
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra