VX-351/CP-251 For Dummies

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Ankaret

VX-351/CP-251 For Dummies

Post by Ankaret » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Im a very new and very very happy Voyager owner. Ive been reading a little bit about the 351/251 boxes and wondering whether these are worth picking up and how relevant they might be to my future use of this instrument.

So I wondered, will these add much flexibility to the Voyager BESIDES giving it flexible CV routing possibilities to OTHER gear (foogers/modular)? For example, if I didn't go down the fooger or modular route any time soon, would either of the boxes give significantly increased routing/patching options for the Voyager with itself? Or are these basically just for expanding routing of voyager with other gear and pretty useless unless you have an idea of how you want it interacting with other CV gear down the line?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance, I realize this is a bit of a newbie question.

Vsyevolod

Re: VX-351/CP-251 For Dummies

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Welcome to the wide world of Voyager owners.

The VX-351 is best used with other gear as it's sending the otherwise unavailable outputs to external sources. Not a whole lot of use can be made of it by rerouting these outputs back into the inputs.

The CP-251 on the other hand will play nicely with the Voyager as it offers an LFO, a lag processor, two attenuators, noise source, S/H, a mult, and a four input mixer for both audio and CV.

If you're going to look seriously at either one of these, the CP is the main one to grab your attention. Once you have the CP, the VX will then become more useful as you can grab the outputs and process them through the CP before going back into the Voyager.

Others may have further ideas that I haven't yet thought of to add to this mix.

Good luck!

Stephen

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Ok, so if Im understanding correctly, the VX would expand capabilities of the voyager controls to send signals to control other CV gear, and the CP would be something that would be ready to be fed into the Voyager's CV ins to offer additional control over the modules already in the voyager? Is that right?

If so, a follow up question is: If the VX breaks out the CV outs from the Voyager, can I then route the CV outs from the Voyager VX box BACK into the Voyager's CV ins on the back panel? Thus making it essentially a modular (semi-modular)?? Or am I missing something? Seems like with the VX by itself one should be able to greatly open up patching possibilities of signals just within the voyager itself, or no?

Thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:10 pm

You're not missing anything :) It essentially can be used as supplementary mod busses.

oyarsa

Post by oyarsa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Be sure to examine the capabilities of the Pot Mapping feature as well. Much can be done here without the use of the VX unit. But I'll bet one could still find uses for the VX even when maximizing the Pot Mapping.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:40 am

Ankaret,

Yes, you're understanding things correctly. My sense is that the CP is more useful than the VX if you're only staying within the one box. However both can be used with the Voyager alone.

Stephen

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Hello Ankaret

You might find this helpful:

Pot Mapping.pdf - Learn how to get the most from the Voyager's Pot Mapping function

Look in KnobTweak/Files/Voyager

- Greg

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:30 am

Thanks for the responses, they are helpful!

I will go and check out the pot mapping guide from Knob Tweak now, excited to get under the hood on this synth. Been slowly going through the manual too and uncovering the little nuances and flexibility of this beautiful instrument.

ramdam

Post by ramdam » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:22 pm

GregAE wrote:Hello Ankaret

You might find this helpful:

Pot Mapping.pdf - Learn how to get the most from the Voyager's Pot Mapping function

Look in KnobTweak/Files/Voyager

- Greg
Hello, I signed up for knobtweak, but was unable to access files. would anyone mind sending me a pdf of the pot mapping pdf?

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:33 pm

I also was not able to get it after signing up for the group. Can someone send the document to me as well please?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Ankaret wrote:I also was not able to get it after signing up for the group. Can someone send the document to me as well please?
Patience, grasshopper! You were just approved for KT. Try again?