How to fix a key on a Voyager (OS)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Nordlicht

How to fix a key on a Voyager (OS)

Post by Nordlicht » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:45 am

Hi together,

my Little Phatty got a big brother, a Voyager Old School that I got in mint condition (btw: its mainboard was already changed in 2013).

Unfortunately one key was "displaced" during transport (despite of a flight case!). Before shipping the keyboard was definitely fine.
The key itself works, I assume it is just a mechanical problem.

So here my question: What is the best and easiest way to have access to the keys (i.e. to remove the wooden part above the keybed) in order to check and hopefully to re-adjust the key? I didn't find any clue in the forum or the web about that.

I really appreciate every tip :)

Thanks a lot in advance!
Attachments
20151111_160625987_iOS.jpg
https://www.spektralfarben-music.com

KAWAI ES7, Uhl X3-2, Korg Kronos2-61, Nord Stage 3, Sequential Take 5, Nord Lead A1, Korg Pa3XLe.

Control_Voltage

Re: How to fix a key on a Voyager (OS)

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi there,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!

Please contact us directly for assistance with this issue, we will be happy to help you get it sorted out.

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

Nordlicht

Post by Nordlicht » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi Andy,

thanks for your quick answer!

I already managed to make a diagnosis: this thin plastic part (that holds the key when releasing) at the underside of that key is broken (s. photos of an intact and the defective key).
Because I am living in Germany I'll try first to get a spare key from the German Moog importer.
If I wouldn't be successful there, I'll contact you at Moog.

Thanks again, and also thanks for having built this wonderful and incredibly sounding instrument. It is a real beauty with a musical soul :)
Attachments
P1020151 [Desktop Auflösung].JPG

KAWAI ES7, Uhl X3-2, Korg Kronos2-61, Nord Stage 3, Sequential Take 5, Nord Lead A1, Korg Pa3XLe.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:14 am

If you could find the missing piece, perhaps you could just glue it back onto the key assembly?

Nordlicht

Post by Nordlicht » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:46 am

mayidunk wrote:If you could find the missing piece, perhaps you could just glue it back onto the key assembly?
Thanks! I actually considered gluing the two (!) parts that I found back onto the key, but I discarded this idea: the parts are much too small, so that wouldn't have been fixed for more than 10 times using that key :)

I managed to make another temporarily solution by adhering a self-sticking damper pad at the lowest part of this area of the key. It works quite well, it can't fall off, and probably this will stay longer than just "temporarily" ;)

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi all, finally got around to registering on the forum and have a question. I just got a EB and noticed one of the keys made a clack noise. Upon further inspection realized the flap underneath is cracked and hanging by a thread. I think some glue should do the trick, but I need better access. Can anyone tell me the best/easiest way to get to the key without taking too much apart? I've been trying to find some kind of tutorial, but no luck. Thanks all!
Attachments
image.jpeg

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:25 am

This is an excerpt from an email from Moog Customer Service containing the steps to removing the keybed from the Voyager for the purposes of replacing the keyscan board inside. The entire text can be found on the yahoo group Knob Tweak.

It is advisable to have a flat surface handy that is capable of supporting the weight of the Voyager and free of static electricity. Lay out several thick towels on the surface so that it is very soft.
It's usually a good idea to read over them a couple of times before you start the process.
1. Open up the LHC compartment (with the pitch/mod wheels) via two screws and disconnect the keyboard cables. There are two them. One has a blue connector and one has a red one. You can see that they are coming over from the keyboard.
2. Next CAREFULLY flip the unit over (face down) onto a soft surface. Remove the ten keyboard screws slowly and carefully.
3. Pull the keyboard out very carefully. Make sure no cables are still attached!!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.