Recommend an analog flanger?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
latigid on

Recommend an analog flanger?

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:03 pm

Anyone? At the moment I use a Boss BF-3, but would like something a little less sterile, but still phat and able to handle Bass frequencies.

Anyone used a 104 as a flange? Got any settings?

Thankyou all

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:25 pm

Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:13 pm

WOW! That guitar sounds ALIVE! A bit pricey, but sounds worth it.

Anyone tried Bel Electronics Flangers?

Or Lovetone "?" (flange with no name). I know they cost, like, a thousand dollars, but you never know.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:59 pm

The minimum delay on the (original) 104 is 40ms, not short enough for flanging.

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:11 am

i have the foxrox tzf. great versatile flanger and very expressive with expression pedals.
www.peterripa.com
http://www.peterripa.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=musik

opeth_669

Post by opeth_669 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:08 am

latigid on wrote:WOW! That guitar sounds ALIVE! A bit pricey, but sounds worth it.

Anyone tried Bel Electronics Flangers?

Or Lovetone "?" (flange with no name). I know they cost, like, a thousand dollars, but you never know.
I just bought the Lovetone ? and Ring Stinger, I'll describe the flanger for you when they arrive in 2-9 days if you want.

Look at the harmony central reviews for it too. From what I can tell after reading those it seems to be more an analog modulation multi effect pedal than a specialized flanger though. So if you're looking for a more traditional flanging sound I'd definately say the TZF takes the cake.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm

Opeth, that would be cool. Do you now have a 102 also? Could you compare the two when they arrive? (gotta love the photo-theremin CV :) )

When it comes to effects, I think the quirkier and crazier the better.

Don't emulate; reinvent!

opeth_669

Post by opeth_669 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:22 pm

latigid on wrote:Opeth, that would be cool. Do you now have a 102 also? Could you compare the two when they arrive? (gotta love the photo-theremin CV :) )

When it comes to effects, I think the quirkier and crazier the better.

Don't emulate; reinvent!
The Ring Stinger is going to be my first ring mod, so I can't really do a first hand comparison, but I'll give it a bit of a review along with the ?.

I agree completely about wierd and interesting effects, too bad Lovetone are gone for "the forseeable future", but hey, we still have Moog :) .

Jyoti

Re: Recommend an analog flanger?

Post by Jyoti » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:58 pm

latigid on wrote:Anyone? At the moment I use a Boss BF-3, but would like something a little less sterile, but still phat and able to handle Bass frequencies.
If you can find one, I can heartily recommend the Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress. I used to have one of the original pedals and it was the maddest flanger ever. Also had a notch filter setting which is handy for those Kraftwerk ringy snares.

Sadly, my Mistress blew up one day. Cue smoke and tears. :cry:

Deathbycalculator

Post by Deathbycalculator » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:43 pm

ADA Flanger all the way and it has CV inputs. I miss mine.

dylan

Systech 4000a flanger

Post by dylan » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:04 pm

I highly recommend the Systech rack flangers (4000 and 7012) if you can find one. Voltage Controlled, great sound..i use one along with MF-103 and MAM RS-3 for CV controlled modulation. the BEL flangers are wonderful as well, but harder to find and more expensive in my experience.

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:48 pm

Well, I love my Ibanez FL9, is very liquid sounding. I have the original version that was released in the 80's, but its my understanding that Ibanez just reissused the pedal. You can probably find the original Ibanez FL9 on ebay for a good price.

Laters.....

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Yep, have tried an original FL-9, very cool, but tended to sound very thin when used on bass frequencies. Save the pennies and go for a "?" I reckon!!!

opeth_669

Post by opeth_669 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:35 pm

So I finally got the Lovetones today, this is what I've gathered so far...

The ? is very very nice. Like many people said I've found it can go from phasing (but it's very subtle phasing), to flanging, to chorus, aswell as psuedo reverb and a bit of slapback too (both somewhat noisy), plus tremolo, PLUS ring mod-ish sounds. Some of the modulation sounds can be very bizarre, examples I've found so far is a very vocal sounding chorus/flange, and also a very beautiful but very out of tune chorus, plus it can be tweaked to have a very weird background (or very loud) pulse which can simulate a heartbeat oddly enough. Normal sounding effects are just as easy (or hard, depending on whether you read and understand the manual) to get as bizarre effects. Sound quality is pristine, unless you tweak the Manual control past 3 o'clock, then it's get a little lofi and noisy, but some very un-subtle effects are around this point!

Self occillation is where is get very amusing, you can get anything from pulsing bass, to a hilarious simulation of someone whining, or ooooing, siren sounds are possible too. Very useful and versatile effect.

The Ring Stinger is perhaps too weird for most, very hard to get anything remotely normal (impossible perhaps?), but some very interesting sounds are possible, it can get very high pitched. Insect noise is easy to get, aswell as the classic ringmod weirdness and very useable sounds are possible if you use the blend/mix. There also this weird thing I think they call gating
(not sure/don't remember though), where a note or chord will repeat and decay much like a delay BUT if you let go of the note it will disappear instantly.

If you want anything clean, sorry that's not possible with the Ring Stinger, it's pretty filthy and apparently that's the nature of the circuitry. They also make a specific reference to the Minimoog and how to get the Ring Stinger plugged in!

Hope that helps.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:00 pm

Thank's for that; I'll save my pennies (unless they run out, then it would be a modular instead ;)).