Anyone else have this issue with their Sub37?

Everything Sub.
namahshaman

Anyone else have this issue with their Sub37?

Post by namahshaman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Several times now, my Sub37 has frozen or locked-up on me in the middle of rehearsal (all of a sudden nothing works, buttons, knobs, keys, nothing). A quick power cycle always seems to sort it out, but this should NOT be happening at all. I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Thanks

m10k

Re: Anyone else have this issue with their Sub37?

Post by m10k » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Nope, this has never happened to me and I've had the Sub37 for over a year (using it daily). What firmware version are you running?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:32 pm

And how do you have it hooked up? Are you using MIDI? Is it possibly a MIDI loop?

I have not had this issue and I have had my Sub37 for almost a year.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 pm

YES!!!!

I've meant to post about it but never gotten around to it.

I too have had my Sub 37 lock up in weird ways. Often something will go wrong with a preset and I'll try to change to a different one then back. Sometimes the preset name changes but the sound will remain the same. This happens no matter which bank or preset I select. Sometimes none of the buttons are responsive.

Even a MIDI PANIC (both octave buttons) won't save the day and a hard reset is all that works. Once I power cycle the Sub everything works fine again. This doesn't happen very regularly but has happened more than a few times.

I do have some MIDI devices connected;

My Yamaha Motif XF6 OUT (Ch. 3) goes to the Sub 37's IN (Ch. 4)
The Sub 37's OUT (Ch. 4) goes to a Yamaha DX7-II's IN (Ch. 15)
The DX7-II's Thru goes to an iPad running Waldorf's Nave synth (Ch. 5) (this is not hooked up more often than it is)

I use the Motif's MASTER MODE on occasion to drive both the other devices. Most times, however, the Motif is being used on its own but the Sub 37 will still lock up. The Motif is also used as the master clock.

I'm certain the lock-ups have to do with something MIDI, I just can't pinpoint what is causing the problem.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:20 am

I have a similar issue and although the Sub 37 doesn't completely lock up it's pretty close to it. I started a thread some time back but never did get a resolution. Here is my original post.
Bald Eagle wrote:Sub 37 was working fine ... then I started Sonar X3. The Sub 37 would not respond normally. I could play one note and then had to wait several seconds for it to respond again to anything.. keys, knobs, buttons ... anything. And same thing over and over.

So, after much playing around I finally disconnected all cables and just plugged in headphones, recycled power and still no good. I feared that it was fried. Then I came across the menu option "INIT SETTINGS". And all was well again.

Any thoughts on what Sonar (or any thing) could possibly send that would disable things so badly? Even power on restart didn't fix it. Maybe that's why that menu option is there.

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 am

I used to have the odd hung note / froze state, but since switching to the latest firmware months ago no problems.
I seem to recall i would get the hung notes regardless if i had midi involved. Sometimes with , sometimes without. All i was doing with midi was sending a clock to the 37 for tempo sync.
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm definitely not using MIDI in any way.

I still haven't updated the firmware... :oops: I suppose I'll try that first.

I guess I'm just a bit anxious since my serial number falls right in the sweet spot of where a lot of the issues happen to be, 00870.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 pm

I forgot to mention that I am using the 1.1 firmware and still have these issues
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Mine locked up on me during my gig this past weekend, and had to reboot it. Firmware 1.1, no midi nuthin,' just the 37 straight into the pedalboard and out to the amp. Power cycling resolved the issue for the rest of the evening.

The 37 had been on for about 3 hours by the time the issue presented itself. I wasn't doing anything knob-twiddly-wise that I haven't done at 100 other gigs.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:55 pm

mrberger wrote:Mine locked up on me during my gig this past weekend, and had to reboot it. Firmware 1.1, no midi nuthin,' just the 37 straight into the pedalboard and out to the amp. Power cycling resolved the issue for the rest of the evening.

The 37 had been on for about 3 hours by the time the issue presented itself. I wasn't doing anything knob-twiddly-wise that I haven't done at 100 other gigs.
THIS...this is what concerns me most, the glitch occurring in the middle of a gig.

MrBerger, have you contacted Moog?

I still haven't yet...wanted to make sure it wasn't user-error before I wasted anyone's time.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Did you install the latest Presets sys.ex file?

There was one Preset in there that was causing some trouble which I was able to fix without changing its sound.

Also, I made all of the INIT PRESETs so they match the result of pressing the INIT button (which was also slightly modified to make starting from scratch easier).
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm

I have no plans to contact Moog unless the issue presents itself more often.

@D_Dan is Presets sys.ex file part of the V1.1 firmware?

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:10 am

Happened to me again during rehearsal yesterday. This time the sound just went dead. No response from the keys. Power off then on and all was well.

I'm pretty sure it's MIDI related as I was switching around presets on my Yamaha Motif XF6. The Motif's MIDI OUT is connected to the Sub 37's MIDI IN. I think the Motif coughed up some kind of MIDI fur-ball and the Sub 37 choked on it. The Motif has a setting called Master Mode. This allows the Motif to send MIDI settings to devices attached. I've got it set to switch the Moog's preset and volume settings depending on the song I'm switching the Yamaha to.

My first thought was that it knocked the Moog's volume down so I turned it up and that didn't work. Only the power cycle finally did it.

This is not always the type of lock-up that occurs. Sometimes the sounds come out of the Sub 37 but they are the wrong ones for the preset selected. As I mentioned in an earlier post I will try to switch presets at this point but although the presets change on the Sub's display the sound remains the same.

I also want to mention that using the Motif's Master Mode isn't always a factor. Sometimes the Sub 37 locks up seemingly by itself. I'm convinced, however, that it is receiving something via the MIDI port.

I'd like to report it to Moog as well but until I see a definite pattern I don't want to waste their time. They should be aware though that something is getting by their MIDI IN that can really bugger up the machine.

During rehearsal it's a bother. Live it would be a catastrophe.

NOTE: I'm going to post this situation on the Motifator forum which is a hang-out for Motif users. Perhaps they can shed some light on what the Yamaha is spitting out its port.
Rich

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:04 pm

I posted this issue on Motifator.com and got a reply from a fellow who goes by the handle 5pinDIN. This guy is an encyclopedia of information both Motif and MIDI.

His reply was quite interesting and can be found here.

I know that the issue with the Motif is specific to my lock-ups but perhaps it may help shed some light on the problems experienced by others with MIDI connections.
Rich

pb21

Post by pb21 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:03 pm

The answer for me is a yes. These days its mainly the OT connected to the sub37 and it locks out as per the thread, the only way is to turn it off and on again.

I just accept it as I am a hobbyist so its not mission critical for me, then their is the time to establish whats causing it. Its a complex beast so Itll get its niggles ironed out in time. I find its also difficult what to blame with for example the OT going thru many firmware changes this past month, so rather than get hung up about it I just accept thats the nature of the beasts.