Minitaur Note Range

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
joelsampson

Minitaur Note Range

Post by joelsampson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:05 am

Does the Moog Minitaur with current firmware now play higher notes or just lower bass notes? I never understood this limitation from a user stand point.

Thanks!

joel in Dallas

cousinofdeath

Re: Minitaur Note Range

Post by cousinofdeath » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 am

it's a hardware limitation unfortunately, and it cannot be changed with a firmware update. that is my understanding. i suppose it was to keep costs lower, or to perhaps empha$ize that the minitaur is a bass instrument (though i use it for baritone leads from time to time as well)
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:55 pm

I understand that the nature of the oscillators and the filter would not work properly on a higher register, it is not based on costs but in the sound itself, which would've been sacrificed if it had a bigger range.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:21 am

The updated firmware just gave you the option to have it wrap the scale. Meaning, it would play the highest octave of that particular note, vs the old method of just getting "stuck" on C3. Personally, I never really play much above there for for the types of sounds I make with my minitaur(s).
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:54 am

Most VCOs are v/oct (volts per octave) - in a one volt per octave system, a one volt increment doubles the frequency (octave change). These are exponential VCOs.

A cheaper simpler VCO can be built to operate on v/hz (volts per hertz). Doubling the voltage doubles the frequency (octave change). These are linear VCOs. But linear VCOs have limits.

The original Taurus was built with v/hz VCOs. To stay faithful to the original design (and its huge bass sound), the Minitaur and Taurus III are built with v/hz VCOs.

In a v/hz VCO, you double the voltage to raise the frequency one octave. There are limits to the voltage - you can't exceed the power supply rails in the synth, and you can't have too low a voltage or error signals inherent in the opamps/transistors will throw off the pitch (can't be calibrated out). The power rails limit the upper frequency, and the opamp error signals limit the lower frequency. For a bass synth the lowest frequencies are designed to make the error signals insignificant (you don't want pitch drift, do you? Didn't think so).

Using a v/hz VCO, assume that 1/2 volt establishes the lowest frequency. To raise it an octave, it is doubled to 1 volt. A second octave, double 1 volt to 2 volts. A third octave, double to 4 volts. A fourth octave, double to 8 volts. A fifth octave, double to 16 volts STOP our power supply rail is 15 volts, cannot go higher than that.

So we got four whole octaves with a v/hz system. It doesn't take long to reach a limit.

Contrast that with a one volt per octave VCO with 1/2 volt establishing the lowest frequency. To raise it an octave, we add one volt resulting in 1.5 volts. A second octave, add another one volt to raise to 2.5 volts. Third octave, 3.5 volts. Fourth octave, 4.5 volts. Fifth octave 5.5 volts (still under power rails!). We can add another nine octaves up to 14.5 volts and still be under the power supply rails, and we got 14 octaves total. This is a hypothetical case for illustration, most synth v/oct VCOs have a ten octave range; higher ranges need some error correction of their own (read: more $$$), and a ten octave range has been plenty since the 1960s.

Linear v/hz VCOs also are not easy to modulate. A pitch bend on 1/2 volt may yield a pitch change of 1/4 octave at one note, but as you play other notes the pitch change using the same 1/2 volt won't be the same! That is why the original Taurus did not have an LFO or pitch modulation of any kind (I do not know how it is accomplished in the T3/Minitaur). Exponential v/oct VCOs are much easier to modulate, which is why they are more prevalent in synths.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm logging in here just to thank you for that excellent lesson.