Voyager Issues

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
deanolium

Voyager Issues

Post by deanolium » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:12 am

I've just bought a Voyager RME over the weekend from eBay and though I absolutely love it, I've found a couple of issues. So I'm wondering if other people have had similar issues, and figure out how to get them sorted.

The first one is Oscillator 1 can't do square waves. When moving the waveform knob beyond sawtooth, it just reduces the volume of it without any further shaping of the wave. All signs point to the square wave generation circuit to be broken - probably a dead cap in there. Being in the UK, shipping it to get fixed is probably going to be a pain - but without any schematics it seems like fixing it myself just isn't going to happen.

The second bug is a weird one with Oscillator 3 and the Noise generator. If I turn off Osc 3, then as long as the noise generator isn't on then everything works fine. However, if I turn noise on, then after about a minute or so, Osc 3 fades back in. This feels like either a software bug, or some weird current leak into a cap which eventually triggers Osc 3 bypassing the switch. Can anyone else reproduce this -- is it a known bug? Of course, I can deal with this by just setting the volume of Osc 3 to zero when using noise; but obviously that's a pain.

The final thing is needing to recalibrate the scale which is a little out. I've found a few posts on here which explain how so I'll give that a try later this week. Presumably it's possible during this tuning to make it so Osc 2 and 3 are in tune when they're set to 0 on the fine tuning (right now, it's around +2). No problems if not, just part of the character of the synth. But the pedantic side of me gets twitchy...

Dimi

Re: Voyager Issues

Post by Dimi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Is your serial number RME 1330-1925? Before i got my Voyager i had looked for any problematic serial numbers and i had found that those RME were supposed to be potentially problematic. Sorry to hear this. I'm also in the UK and i know how awful it is to not have some support. Perhaps you could send it to the distributor here in the UK for an out of warranty repair? http://www.sourcedistribution.co.uk/tec ... irform.asp

deanolium

Post by deanolium » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:49 am

It's even earlier - RM1263. I've already emailed the UK distributor and hoping they get back soon. Failing that, I'll contact the US support and see if there's any things I can do at home.

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!

For assistance with any issues like this please contact us directly for support:

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

Thanks!
Andy Hughes

deanolium

Post by deanolium » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Andy,

I've already emailed and it looks like it's part of the bad TI batch so I'm taking it to the UK support place next week. Despite the issues, it's still a really nice synth and I'm enjoying every minute on it -- great purchase!

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Has anyone replaced their board, in the serial number range, and had the problem recur? I replaced my board about two years ago, haven’t played it more than two hours, haven’t moved it and keep it unplugged. Today I tried it out and it’s doing the same things it did before I replaced the board. It played fine for about twenty minutes, then went crazy.

Anybody?
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.