Final Production of the Voyager Announced

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Mike37

Re: Final Production of the Voyager Announced

Post by Mike37 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:57 am

The big question is:
Was the Voyager discontinued to make way for a new flagship model?

music.maker

Post by music.maker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:40 am

My first post. Always wanted, and could afford, a Voyager but have hold off due to the oldt technology inside and the stories about defect units, hard to repair and stability of the oscillators and thus service. Truly hope Moog will find ways to re-create the Voyager with modern parts, SMD, shrinking it into a rack size format with optional keyboard where the module and expanders can fit in or both expanders in a 1/2u rack . Looking at the the Sub37, it's much more clean and board are small. Unimaginable if they would let go of this product. Roland has off the shelf analog circuitry in the JDXi, as well as has DSI in the Prophets, so it looks not impossible. Perhaps the timing is just right to clean out the inventory at resellers before winter NAMM.
The pictures come from the videos of Markus Fuller's youtube posts, but you may have guessed that already :D . https://www.youtube.com/user/markusfuller
Attachments
JDXA analog part
JDXA analog part
Sub37
Sub37
P12
P12

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:10 pm

I was told today by a store rep that there is nothing in the works to replace the voyager, then system 55 was brought up which is not even in my sights. I hope he is wrong. I would love to see a poly sub37 or voyager. I guess time will tell.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Apparently they're still producing the XL...

Dimi

Post by Dimi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:13 pm

music.maker wrote:My first post. Always wanted, and could afford, a Voyager but have hold off due to the oldt technology inside and the stories about defect units, hard to repair and stability of the oscillators and thus service. Truly hope Moog will find ways to re-create the Voyager with modern parts, SMD, shrinking it into a rack size format with optional keyboard where the module and expanders can fit in or both expanders in a 1/2u rack . Looking at the the Sub37, it's much more clean and board are small. Unimaginable if they would let go of this product. Roland has off the shelf analog circuitry in the JDXi, as well as has DSI in the Prophets, so it looks not impossible. Perhaps the timing is just right to clean out the inventory at resellers before winter NAMM.
The pictures come from the videos of Markus Fuller's youtube posts, but you may have guessed that already :D . https://www.youtube.com/user/markusfuller
Hmm... the Yamaha CS-80 and the Jupiter-8 have "older" technologies but most people would sell a kidney - or both - for either :D

Gorillafoxi

Post by Gorillafoxi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:45 pm

Moog was kind enough to respond to someone's concern on FB and stated that the XL "is sticking around".

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 am

I think it has more to do with product demand vs material availability. My thoughts on why the Voyager is being discontinued is due to a drop in sales lowering revenue. We don't see the numbers that Adams and the board room sees. Moog is a great company, employee owned. They have to keep people working. For that I understand the discontinuation of the Voyager.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 am

It's like Porsche stopped making the 911..............................

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 am

Rob Smith wrote:It's like Porsche stopped making the 911..............................
That is a very different market, both in size and nature, imho
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Well..... the 'Voyager Discontinued' email finally spurred me into action and I know own a Voyager Performer Edition in all it's loveliness and, alright old technology, but it can keep my Little Phatty Stage II, Sub Phatty and Sub 37 company :D

Weighs a bit, doesn't it :shock:

R.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:42 pm

bichuelo wrote:
Rob Smith wrote:It's like Porsche stopped making the 911..............................
That is a very different market, both in size and nature, imho
They both have wheels :roll:

philr1971

Post by philr1971 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Well I recently added a refurbished Old School to my collection to keep the XL company, so now have an embarrassment of riches that should no doubt go up in value...particularly the OS. Look at the insane prices paid for Minimoog model D's. I bought one 10 years ago for £1000 UK and then sold it on...what an idiot, I should have kept it, you can't get a good one for love nor money under £5000 and thats daft for what it is, but the law of supply and demand...