Moog Mother-32

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
pnorris79

Re: Moog Mother-32

Post by pnorris79 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:01 pm

I preordered one when I got the email. It looks amazing. Can't wait to hear how it sounds without the youtube filter.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Actually, I was thinking that the Werkstatt would be the perfect compliment to the Mother. Just ordered one - I have a small Euro system, too :)

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:32 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:Actually, I was thinking that the Werkstatt would be the perfect compliment to the Mother. Just ordered one - I have a small Euro system, too :)

I thought that a second Werkstatt would be a perfect compliment to my first Werkstatt, and it is.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Well, good!

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:05 pm

OK, so I'll eat a little bit of crow here -
I finally had the chance to watch & listen to the demo with decent speakers.

Dang, this thing sounds awesome! 8)
Granted, it sounds processed through some mysterious unnamed effects pedal... :wink:... but still, awesome, and with some very cool features!
SO, while I still like the bigger knobs and jacks better - I could see this winding up on my Moog stack someday!

Anyone interested in a good deal on a Dark Energy II?

I can see Moog selling a LOT of these -kudos!!

And I still want a Voyager, BTW ... :mrgreen:
Stuka wrote:It's officially on the main web page now.

Looks cool ~
but SO Eurorack! :?

Not bad for the price; but -
Call me Old School -
I'll take bigger knobs and 1/4" jacks any day over little knobs and 1/8" jacks.
(Tried both; bigger is better for my aging eyes and hands!!)

This is probably a really cool way to add Moog gear into the mix for guys & gals into Eurorack -
but I think I'll be saving my money for the hopes of snagging a Voyager before they're all gone.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

pnorris79

Post by pnorris79 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:52 am

I'm even more excited after seeing the 10-15 minute warm up time recommendation in the manual. It should compliment the precision of the sub phatty oscillators nicely.

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:46 pm

I am very curious to see how people will use Mother in their set-up, be it with other synths or in a eurorack system.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:12 am

This is just a quick, getting to know you, first test of the Moog Mother-32. I came up with this patching and sequence literally 10 minutes after unboxing. This was done in one take, no multi-tracking, and every sound you hear is coming from the Mother-32 in real time, including the percussion.

With all of the patch points, along with the noise source, you can get very interesting percussion elements going at the same time as both your Saw and Pulse wave voices... not bad for a "one oscillator" synth! (a touch of reverb was added from Valhalla VintageVerb.)

Now I'm just waiting for my 3-Tier Rack to be delivered so I can add my other two Mother-32s... which means more and much better videos coming real soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7wquBKwzA4

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:03 am

I love it when an instrument comes with good music built in! Nice work.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:54 pm

Mr Genshi,

Have you interfaced your S37 and your M32 yet? I'm more then curious how the midi to C/V on the M32 works.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:24 am

slabwax wrote:Mr Genshi,

Have you interfaced your S37 and your M32 yet? I'm more then curious how the midi to C/V on the M32 works.
MIDI to CV seems to work nicely. I first tried MIDI Sync from Ableton Live to start/sync the first Mother-32 which also started the second Mother-32 which was sync'd via CV from the first one (see video link below.) Later, I used the Sub 37 MIDI Out to play one of the Mother-32s... but I still need to then CV the second one to see how well it tracks when playing notes via MIDI from the first unit; will be testing that in the morning.

This is just another simple "getting to know you" session video with the Mother-32. I wanted to try out the sync capabilities, the "live ratching" as well as introduce the Korg SQ-1 sequencer into the mix...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoo_MKiB8o

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:13 am

Mr Genshi,

Another great video. I look forward to one of your full production videos. Thanks for taking the time.

Thufir

Post by Thufir » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Can anyone help me understand what CV out capabilities the Mother will have. I'm tempted to order one and sell my Doepfer Dark Time but I read the manual and find it confusing. i want to sequence my Sub 37 with it.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:43 pm

Thufir wrote:Can anyone help me understand what CV out capabilities the Mother will have. I'm tempted to order one and sell my Doepfer Dark Time but I read the manual and find it confusing. i want to sequence my Sub 37 with it.
The manual really has the best explanation... and since the Sub 37 already has a sequencer and great modulation points, I don't think you would need the Mother-32 to "sequence" the Sub 37. What would be more interesting is if you kept the Dark Time and got a Mother-32 and used the Dark Time to sequence the filters of the Mother-32 while the Mother-32 is sequencing it's own VCO (that's what I did with the Korg SQ-1 sequencer in one of my videos.) Just curious what you are using the Dark Time for now?
slabwax wrote:Mr Genshi,

Another great video. I look forward to one of your full production videos. Thanks for taking the time.
Thanks! And I tested the MIDI to CV more thoroughly. Here are the notes from my third video I just uploaded (and it may be my last until I finally get that 3-tier rack and can use all three of the Mother-32s):
--------------------------------------------------------
Ok, this is a two part test... PART ONE: Raw sound, no effects, testing to see how well the second (top) Mother-32 tracks via CV when the first (bottom) Mother-32 is being played via MIDI keyboard (in this case, the KMI QuNexus with MIDI Expander.)

PART TWO: "Almost Berlin-School" test with delay and reverb effects, first (bottom) Mother-32 sync'd via MIDI from Ableton Live and second (top) Mother-32 being played via MIDI from a Moog Sub 37, then sequencer sync'd via CV from the first Mother-32... these are definitely two little boxes with a big sound! I can't wait for my 3-Tier rack to be delivered so I can add the third Mother-32 to this setup!

Additional Note: on part two of this video, I was trying to sync the second Mother-32 in a different way; previously I was syncing from GATE out of one M32 to RUN/STOP in (or to TEMPO in) to the second unit, but the problem with that is, if there is Ratcheting or Gate length changes on the first unit, then the second unit will pick those up. So in this video I used the ASSIGN CV as a sequence tempo out to the TEMPO in of the second unit... unfortunately it didn't work quite like I had hoped, so I'll need to experiment with this more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7VxECHLkQ

Khim-Zen

Post by Khim-Zen » Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Does anyone know if I can change the pitch bend range on Moog mother 32?
Best regards Kim Kristensen