Final Production of the Voyager Announced

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wordsdrawnigh

Final Production of the Voyager Announced

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I was surprised that this had not yet been mentioned here.

"End of a Voyage":
http://www.moogmusic.com/news/end-voyag ... ynthesizer

Fantastca

Re: Final Production of the Voyager Announced

Post by Fantastca » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:15 pm

You were quick bro

Does it mean updated Voyager??? Oh ma Got!
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

MC

Post by MC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:24 pm

13 years and 14,000 units. Impressive run by most standards.

The original minimoog was in production for 11 years with over 12,000 units built.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm scared to see what the upcoming Mother 32 is that they refer to in the announcement. I *just* bought a Sub 37! Now I'm going to be GASing for whatever new thing Moog made. My own character fault, of course, haha

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:39 pm

midilifestyle wrote:I'm scared to see what the upcoming Mother 32 is that they refer to in the announcement. I *just* bought a Sub 37! Now I'm going to be GASing for whatever new thing Moog made. My own character fault, of course, haha
I wouldn't be concerned about Mother-32 ... it's a smaller one oscillator synth module which can be racked or euroracked and has CV connections. Sub 37 is a great synth and should gel with other newer Moog products coming down the pipe. No idea what else they may be coming out with though as a replacement for voyager.

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:38 pm

My dealer offered this explanation:

"I heard a rumor a couple years ago from my resource at Moogfest that they can't source the oscillator chips in those anymore, and all resources are allocated for the new chip they debuted for the Sub series. My understanding is that it means no more CV outputs for moog synths."
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:43 pm

The Voyager will be an instant classic.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Hopefully this means better used market prices in case I ever have to part with mine.
I was shocked to see, for instance, that you can't find an mf104m for less than $950 lately. The Voyager prices have been hovering as low as $1995 for a while now, though, unfortunately, which is a devaluation that you never saw with the 104...

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Scott Rolf wrote:My dealer offered this explanation:

"I heard a rumor a couple years ago from my resource at Moogfest that they can't source the oscillator chips in those anymore, and all resources are allocated for the new chip they debuted for the Sub series. My understanding is that it means no more CV outputs for moog synths."
Wow, I sure hope this is not the case, and that the new flagship will have CV outs, seeing as how the Werkstatt (and, presumably, the Mother-32) have them...

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Scott Rolf wrote:My dealer offered this explanation:

Mom has C/V ins and outs. So do lots of other Brand new synths. So I don't completely buy that story. Now maybe a number of the chips in the Voyager are no longer available and Moog would need to redesign things. so it's no longer a "Voyager" as it has been.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:46 pm

Looking at the analog board of my Voyager I can tell you that my BS meter is PEGGED. All the ICs are common easy-to-get components, there are no custom ICs on that board.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:43 am

In saying that it's a huge through hole board, which I bet is getting more costly to produce. At least when likened to a comparable surface mount one (already smaller) that's mostly populated by a pick'n'place machine.

johnts

Post by johnts » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:56 am

MC wrote:
Looking at the analog board of my Voyager I can tell you that my BS meter is PEGGED. All the ICs are common easy-to-get components, there are no custom ICs on that board.
That's good news then for the service longevity for my pair of Voyagers. Service is always a worry when electronic instruments reach end of life.
Minimoog Model D reissue | Arturia Matrixbrute | Moog One 16 voice | Nord Stage 3 | David Gilmour Fender Black Strat NOS | Roger Waters Fender Bass |

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:22 am

I would expect someone from moog to officially chime in here at some point to end all of the speculation as to the "why".
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

MC

Post by MC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:36 am

latigid on wrote:In saying that it's a huge through hole board, which I bet is getting more costly to produce. At least when likened to a comparable surface mount one (already smaller) that's mostly populated by a pick'n'place machine.
TH boards have been populated with PnP machines since the 1970s, and there are plenty of contract houses that still offer them.

I think it's more of falling sales due to a crowded market of cheaper devices than obsolete technology. More and more I am seeing the refrain that Voyagers cost too much.

Moog Music from the 1970s were seeing the same market trends. When the Voyager first was released in 2003 there were a lot fewer analog non-modular monophonic synths in the market.