a new polyphonic Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
XAXAU

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by XAXAU » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Moog has done poly before and should do it again with the "Sub" line. However the knobs are too low quality I think so I sold my 37 and bought a Voyager RME instead.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:56 am

hoping one will come, so i can sell the prophet8 and get a better sound and bigger knobs instead
afcourse there is a market ( coming) for a real good analog poly.
i bought a p8 as replacement for my old ( but great) jp8. i think it's time something more then the p8 will come soon. just hope it's from moog
prophet 6 did a go for it, but i think 8 voice is neccesary

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:............so i can sell the prophet8................
Oh, I`d think about several times before you really do.........or later you`ll think of these words probably with much regrets........
My tech and I we found out (A/B) that the 08 is pretty close to the JP8 as for the sound, although nobody else on this planet likes to confirm ever..........

I`ve got two 08s and I`d rather sell my balls than one of those two.........
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:58 pm

megavoice wrote:
sunny pedaal wrote:............so i can sell the prophet8................
Oh, I`d think about several times before you really do.........or later you`ll think of these words probably with much regrets........
My tech and I we found out (A/B) that the 08 is pretty close to the JP8 as for the sound, although nobody else on this planet likes to confirm ever..........

I`ve got two 08s and I`d rather sell my balls than one of those two.........
I love my Prophet 08 too and no matter what comes out, I will be keeping it. Great synth.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:18 pm

I would give almost anything - except the going rate - for an OB-8. They were seriously sweet.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:14 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:I would give almost anything - except the going rate - for an OB-8. They were seriously sweet.
Yes, I am after a well looked after OB8 or OBX-a for the studio. It's the only old synth I really want for my studio and I will wit until I come across the right one. Would rather buy newer analog/DCO synths hence the Prophet 08.
Would be great if Moog had a serious stab at an 8 voice poly at a DSI price. :-)

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:49 pm

megavoice wrote: My tech and I we found out (A/B) that the 08 is pretty close to the JP8 as for the sound, although nobody else on this planet likes to confirm ever
Since I'll never be able to afford a Jupiter 8, have you ever compared the Prophet 08 and the Poly-Evolver keyboard? Connected to my Poly-Evolver Rack I have 8 voices as well, but have always wondered if it was worth looking into the Prophet 08. Do you think the 08 and Poly-Evolver are pretty similar in sound, or quite a bit different?

Thanks

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:14 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
MRNUTTY wrote:I would give almost anything - except the going rate - for an OB-8. They were seriously sweet.
Yes, I am after a well looked after OB8 or OBX-a for the studio. It's the only old synth I really want for my studio and I will wit until I come across the right one. Would rather buy newer analog/DCO synths hence the Prophet 08.
Would be great if Moog had a serious stab at an 8 voice poly at a DSI price. :-)
I had a P08, it was a disappointment. It didnt sound 'alive' like the OB-8 did. Good resale value if you bide your time though, so no harm in trying one out.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:25 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:
I had a P08, it was a disappointment. It didnt sound 'alive' like the OB-8 did. Good resale value if you bide your time though, so no harm in trying one out.
Love my pro 08 :-)
I do know the OB-8 well although I am a guitarist by trade. The singer in my band Darren had one for years when we first started our band in 85. He was the keyboard player in Thin Lizzy although with Lizzy, I think he used an OBX-a when he used an Oberheim.
When the scene went digital and DCO in the mid 80's and all those great analog synths went out of fashion, I used to take the OB-8 to my house as there were now DX7, Akai S900, JX8p, and a JX10 in our studio and they were the current flavour at the time.
Used to love the Oberheim OB-8 although it was not the most reliable synth... Even in the studio :-) Live it was generally a nightmare and get retired pretty quickly.
No internet back then. Things are much easier to get serviced now. Just a quick google search or a message on a forum and you get to know all the great people who know these synths inside out. Back then in the UK, not many people we knew up in Manchester could fix them.
I have had a history of playing in bands with synths. After that band above (Dare), I joined Asia with Geoff Downes for their Aqua world tour then after that, spent a few years in Ultravox with Billy Currie. In another of my bands (Ten) we had Don Airey play with us for an album and a tour. I have played with some fantastic keyboard players and been around a lot of great synths and sounds. Been lucky.
Anyway. Come on Moog. Get a good poly synth out of the door :-)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:48 pm

For everyone that complains that polychaining moots is "too expensive" it looks like the akai timbre wolf is now shipping. $500 for a four voice analog? Not really my thing, but it might hold some of you guys over until something better comes along.

http://youtu.be/3DqH7SWv7Gk
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:30 am

jsharpphoto wrote:For everyone that complains that polychaining moots is "too expensive" it looks like the akai timbre wolf is now shipping. $500 for a four voice analog? Not really my thing, but it might hold some of you guys over until something better comes along.

http://youtu.be/3DqH7SWv7Gk
To be fair, that is more of a toy. All the reviews and demos i read and saw said they could not get that Akai remotely in tune over any usable range.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:51 am

Agreed. from the looks of it, there is a filter per voice, but u couldn't see ADSR on it anywhere. Not just per-voice. But I might just not have seen it. I think the demos are pre-production, full of glitches, in true Akai fashion. That demo sounded usable though.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MC

Post by MC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 am

MRNUTTY wrote:I had a P08, it was a disappointment. It didnt sound 'alive' like the OB-8 did.
Agreed. I auditioned an '08 in a store and the filters were too weak for my taste. The 12dB filter had no b@lls at all.
vinnyburns wrote:The singer in my band Darren had one for years when we first started our band in 85. He was the keyboard player in Thin Lizzy although with Lizzy, I think he used an OBX-a when he used an Oberheim.
OB-X actually. I have a DVD of one of those Thin Lizzy concerts.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:35 pm

ASTONISHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And impressioning about the SO positive feedback about the 08. You hit the target heavily.
But, MC, you`re right and wrong.
The key is, and this has been now often discussed: When the filter, exspecially 24dB, is fully open it sounds week. But that`s absolutely NO PROBLEM. The more you close, the more sound becoms fatter and fatter.
That`s the key.
That`s a worldwide common mistake that people crank up the filter and judge without going more deeply into.
If you start moving the filter with all the modulation sources, ENV, etc you`ll get head-blowing.
I don`t know what you did in that store then. :wink:

But despite, hope also we`ll get a fat "Moog" Poly, regardless with or without the Moog brand.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:41 pm

MC wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:The singer in my band Darren had one for years when we first started our band in 85. He was the keyboard player in Thin Lizzy although with Lizzy, I think he used an OBX-a when he used an Oberheim.
OB-X actually. I have a DVD of one of those Thin Lizzy concerts.
You are probably right. There were a couple OB's that Lizzy owned. I remember Lizzy's management selling off all the assets and all Phil and Darren's keys came into our local studio shop Audio Services on commission sale.
There were two OB's One was definitely an OBX-a and the other I am sure was black. Would that have been the OBX? I think the Oberheim's were actually from Phil's 8 track studio originally.
Was such shame because we were skint at the time and trying to get our studio together for our demos and all his gear was there including the Arp Odyssey and his Mini Moog and there was no money to buy them. Always wondered where they ended up. They were all in Lizzy flight cases.
Later the same year I got my publishing deal with Chrysalis. Our manager offered me a flight cased Jupiter 8 for £500 but I bought a Revox B-77 instead. Always kicked myself for that haha.
PS After Darren moved back to Manchester when Lizzy split, it was on OB-8 he bought for himself. So, although he used an OBX/OBX-a in Lizzy, we definitely had an OB-8 in Dare. I have pictures of it from the studio and the odd gig where we were still using it.