is it worth to do?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
JohnH

is it worth to do?

Post by JohnH » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:57 am

Hi, I want to sell my Voyager signature (maple) and buy a XL version. But I wonder if it is worth to do so?
thanks for any advice.

Gorillafoxi

Re: is it worth to do?

Post by Gorillafoxi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:23 am

Honestly, it's really up to identifying the need. What do you wish was on the Select? Are you going to use the extra keys? It has the ribbon controller, but how often are you using the touchpad, and how? Things like that. The Performer and Select are fantastic machines in their own right. I've had a Select since 2008, and maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake but it seems I'm learning something new about it every year. Having the augmented I/O panel would be pretty slick of course, but with the CP and VX out there you'll be covered in that department for considerably less cash. The second LFO (with the uber slow time available, and variable waveform shift) is pretty creamy but I could only hope that Moog will have something like that available for "legacy" Voyager performers in the future. I've noticed over the years that Moog are incredibly thoughtful in their designs and with what's made and what isn't. With the exception of a few things (that are ultimately either redundant or not a big deal), you can get quite more than you'd previously thought with a Performer/Select alone *even without* a CP or VX.
I guess the answer is "your call". I will say this: I cringe whenever I see a Voyager on eBay or whatever because it seems people sell them off for a song and a dance. I'd be fearful of selling it to raise funds for an XL, and ironically paying almost as much as you did for the *original* Voyager.
I'm playing devil's advocate here, and I'm fully aware that this isn't practical....but.....seeing as how anyone reading this has dropped a good chunk of change for a synth that plays one note at a time..........you see where I'm going with this. I would consider being patient, and....although it will take longer.....saving and buying the XL and using it in tandem with the Select. You'd be surprised. It may give you some motivation to dig REALLY deep into the Select and by the time you're ready for the XL, you'll be able to experiment with a dual Voyager set up which is....what do the kids say nowadays?....."nothing to f*ck with". Run a gritty OSC 1 and OSC 2 at '8 (waveforms a little off 12 o'clock each) running OSC 3 at '32 (with PWM affecting only OSC with the Mod Input Pot Mapping Trick) right next to a second Voyager pumping out subs, and tell me that isn't the most fun you've had since Arbor Day.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 am

thanks for the good arguments. Indeed it are the number of keys, ribbon and the left part which is similar to the VX which I also own. It is just having everything in one synth and controlling also more easy my modular. Again, your thought do give me stuff to consider to buy or not to buy. that's the question. (Hmm where have I heard this phrase before).
However, there is one thing additionally. I compared my Signature with later Voyagers and conclude that the filter of later Voyagers do sound much richer. Even after the filter hardware upgrade of my Signature. So, that would be actually the main reason left (+ the ribbon, as I also use the old ribbon on my model D frequently).
Good time to have a cup of coffee and thing over again. Thanks.

Gorillafoxi

Post by Gorillafoxi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:31 am

I getcha. Well, how old is your Select? My filter isn't packing too much of a punch without a bit of fiddling right now, but I'm thinking that may be due to it needing to visit the shop for calibration. Was the upgrade awhile ago?

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:12 am

Sorry, it is not a select, it is the signature. #250. the first series that came out. The update was done last year. I can do tuning and other calibrations myself very well. These kind of things I also carry out for friends only, as I am not a service guy, just a stupid scientist who plays Moogs since 1976 (hmm, getting old). Love all these sounds and creating music with these instruments. But that is another story.

So, still in doubt. sell the signature or not. I feel that I am getting in the Shakespeare mood. Actually the LX is really good priced: 3500 (it is a private selling).

Gorillafoxi

Post by Gorillafoxi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Have you considered taking it to a shop and maybe running it side by side with a Sub 37? That....in and if itself...would be a pretty wild enhancement, and probably still cost less in the long run. $3,500 is indeed a solid price for the XL. The scenario raises a couple of questions, though. 1) If we're finding XL's for $3,500 secondhand, how much would a Signature fetch nowadays? 2) If it's a private listing, is there a guarantee the XL will still be available by the time there's a buyer for the Perfomer?
Likewise (and crush me for saying this. I'm a sentimentalist.), wouldn't it be hard to shake letting go of the Stradivarius? Know what I mean?

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Personally I think it's worth it regardless of the cost. It's what I'm going to do one of these days when I find a good price on an XL. Yes, I already have the CP and the VX, though the addition of a larger keyboard, ribbon, second LFO, and everything in one place is a huge plus for me.

The main thing I'd be missing is the backlit panel (I have the Select Series) though that's a minor quibble.

Stephen

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Just in terms of whether or not to go XL vs regular + CP-251, I decided to go the full XL route last year. I weighed the pros and cons of price vs convenience, and ultimately having everything together in one piece of kit won out. And I have to say, it is fantastic... the XL is truly the centerpiece of my home studio, and I spend a lot of time conjuring up new sound ideas and patching them into existence. Haven't played enough with patching from the XL to the MF-104M, but when I get a poly urge, using it as a controller for the Analog 4, and then having the A4 control the XL via CV, well... it is a perfect combination. :mrgreen:

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:29 pm

yep indeed . . . . . well although I would love to have one XL I should be satisfied on what I have. especially with the signature although it could sound better. But for those part I do have the model D. Thanks for your thoughts.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:13 pm

With your permission, we encountered a vergence in the Force located around the Voyager XL, known to have some of the highest concentration of Midi-Chlorians around, it's our go to keyboard when jumping to lightspeed!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:30 am

dear all, thanks for your discussion. I made my conclusion and will continue with my Signature only. Need to work to improve its sound quality as I am not really happy with it. It is not the programming, but more VCOs and Filter (recently updated).
And of course with the rest of my set (Model D, MemoryMoog, taurus 3, Kurzweil PC3K8, theremin, and Modular COTK/dot.coms).
So, I also will check the quality of the sub37, does it sound different, and will it improve my total sound-palette.

Gorillafoxi

Post by Gorillafoxi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:34 pm

Good luck, John! Let's trade ideas if you're ever up for it.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Gordon Reid in Sound On Sound did an excellent review of the XL with extensive comparisons to the standard version http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun11/a ... ger-xl.htm
I have an XL and can't compare it to the other but I can tell you that every time I take off the cover I think "WOW!" and it is an endless delight to play and patch. Quickly patching up an Envelope controlled LFO beats a menu dive any day. Using the ribbon controller plugged in to a Moogerfooger CV-IN is just wonderful.You can also patch out your Pitch and Mod wheel and use them or the Ribbon with the Mults to each control 3 separate externals simultaneously . I doubt you would ever regret it.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20