Does the Sub 37 MIDI go to sleep after inactivity?

Everything Sub.
Libertine Lush

Does the Sub 37 MIDI go to sleep after inactivity?

Post by Libertine Lush » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:51 pm

When using the Sub 37 as controlling for other synths, I find that sometimes it stops sending MIDI (the MIDI button also no longer flickers red) after a short period of inactivity. Is this a feature of the Sub 37 and Is there a way to reactivate its MIDI function besides turning it off and on again?

Also related, when power an analog synthesizer on and off, should you wait briefly before powering it on again? Could synths with DCOs, unlike the Sub 37's VCOs, be powered on and off more quickly?

In case other things are the culprit: my setup uses OSX, Logic and a powered USB hub.

Thank you.

MRNUTTY

Re: Does the Sub 37 MIDI go to sleep after inactivity?

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:19 am

To put it simply, most digital hardware design is done using a logic simulator to verify functionality. Analog simulators are so slow that only the simplest designs can be verified. A synth like the Sub37, which has a large mix of analog and digitial is tough to verify completely without building prototypes. When you throw a microprocessor is there, is even tougher to get it right.

So, as to the MIDI, it's possible your processor gets hung. Does it do any other digitial functions besides MIDI?

With respect to powering on and off, anything can happen, but most everyone expects you to leave it off at least 5 seconds before powering it on again. But who actually does that? :-)

Other culprits? sure! I would simplfy your setup to just the Sub37, and one other thing, no hub. Then add stuff back until the problem shows up again.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:17 pm

MRNUTTY wrote: So, as to the MIDI, it's possible your processor gets hung. Does it do any other digitial functions besides MIDI?
I do leave other apps open, along with Logic, most of the time, unless I need all CPU power for recording, then I'll reboot for a fresh start and close all other apps.
MRNUTTY wrote:With respect to powering on and off, anything can happen, but most everyone expects you to leave it off at least 5 seconds before powering it on again. But who actually does that? :-)
Oh! 5 seconds is actually manageable for me :lol: I felt it would be something longer. I recall what was recommended to me as kid for my computer. I waited maybe 5 seconds then at most.
MRNUTTY wrote:Other culprits? sure! I would simplfy your setup to just the Sub37, and one other thing, no hub. Then add stuff back until the problem shows up again.
I'll try that. Thank you.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:52 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:So, as to the MIDI, it's possible your processor gets hung.
Hmmmm. I've noticed the "light show" on my Sub37 sometimes hangs after running for a while. Not particularly related to Libertine Lush's issue, but circumstantial evidence that MCU hangs might be possible.

--
Moose

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:55 pm

ObtuseMoose wrote: Hmmmm. I've noticed the "light show" on my Sub37 sometimes hangs after running for a while.
That happens to mine too. I had just assumed it was to preserve the life of the lights, thinking all the rapid flickering for extended durations might age them faster.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:04 pm

My experience is; I don't use MIDI in or out, I leave always leave it on, and it's never hung up.

To clarify, when I said processor I meant the one inside the Sub37.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.