Sub 37 Issues (Arpeggiator and Bank Selection)

Everything Sub.
tomorrowstops

Sub 37 Issues (Arpeggiator and Bank Selection)

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Just got mine a couple of days ago, new from Sweetwater. In Panel Mode, when I start with an Init patch, the arpeggiator modes act wonky. 'Down' works normally, but the 3 other modes change amplitude, rhythm, and overall pitch of the arpeggio. If I start in preset mode, all arpeggiator functions act normally.

Serial number is 7595. Firmware version 1.1.0. I loaded this version up before I played my first note, so I'm not sure if the problem existed in the earlier version. I've reloaded the file several times, as well as reloading the factory presets file. I haven't performed any calibration procedures yet.

Here's a audio sample of this issue: https://soundcloud.com/nathaniel-johnso ... rd/s-tQOVa

Another issue is I can't seem to select banks using the bank button. Whether I press or hold the button, select bank number - nothing changes, other than buttons lighting up. Preset selections via buttons work normally. I can still change banks using the up/down/cursor buttons under the screen.

Both of these issues are minor, and I'm able to completely work around them. However, if its a symptom of a bigger and possibly evolving problem, I'd like to get it squared away as soon as possible.

ObtuseMoose

Re: Sub 37 Issues (Arpeggiator and Bank Selection)

Post by ObtuseMoose » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:26 am

Can't help with the Arpeggiator problem. The link you posted doesn't seem to work.

As for the bank/preset select, it may be working correctly, although unintuitively. The display doesn't change until after you've selected a bank AND a preset, and after selecting a new bank, all the buttons go dark until you select a preset within that bank. Here's what I see on mine:

1. Press and release the BANK button. The BANK button lights up and one of the 16 buttons across the bottom of the panel lights up, corresponding to the current bank.

2. Press one of the 16 buttons to select a new bank. The BANK button goes dark and all 16 buttons go dark. The display doesn't change, but you've selected a bank and it's waiting for you to select a preset within that bank.

3. Press one of the 16 buttons to select a preset within the selected bank. That button lights up and now the display changes to show the new bank and preset.

It's that second step that's kind of confusing because you've pressed a button, but it looks like nothing has happened.

Hope this helps.

--
Moose

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Oops, here's the correct link:

https://soundcloud.com/nathaniel-johnso ... rd/s-tQOVa

And yup, I was totally not doing the bank selection thing properly - thanks for explaining it, obtusemoose! So, no problems with button bank/preset selection.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:14 am

Keep in mind that in PANEL mode, the synth plays whatever the knobs are set to (unless you press and hold the PANEL button to get the "init" sound, in which case it's NOT playing what the knobs are set to, which doesn't make any sense to me. But I digress...) Those settings include the arpeggiator/sequencer RATE (tempo) setting. So if you are on a preset and turn on the arpeggiator and hold down some keys, you'll hear the preset being arpeggiated. Then while still holding the keys if you press the PANEL button, you'll hear whatever sound the current knobs are set to produce being arpeggiated. If the RATE knob is set to something very different from the preset rate, you would expect to hear the tempo change when switching to PANEL mode.

The thing that's throwing me off is that you say "Down" works normally. I think you're saying that the arp works as expected in all modes (up, down, random, etc.) if you're using it with a preset sound. But if you use it with the synth in PANEL mode, only "down" works as expected, the other direction modes give you the weird results. If that's correct, I don't know what's going on. I would suggest switching to panel mode and manually setting up a really simple, straightforward patch by doing an INIT, and then twiddling every knob, an,,,d then see if the arp works as expected with that.

After thinking about it for a while, I remembered I had some weirdness with the sequencer that went away when I did a "Quick Erase", I know you said you're seeing the problem with the arpeggiator and not the sequencer, but I think they're related, and it's simple, so it's worth a try.

With the sequencer stopped and while in PANEL mode, hold the BANK button and turn the PATTERN switch to REC. Then release the BANK button and turn the PATTERN switch to one of the direction settings. That clears everything from the sequencer memory. See if that changes the behavior you're seeing.

If none of this helps, hopefully someone else might have some other ideas.

--
Moose

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Guys,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!!!

Feel free to call or email us for support with these sorts of issues, sometimes these are quite simple to suss out over the phone:

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Moog Music, Inc.

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Moose - I figured it out. You must have been spot on. When I turned the Sub37 on for the first time, I went to go mess with the arp. Played some keys, nothing was happening, and I realized, shoot, I'm in on of the sequence modes. I flicked it back to arp and away I went. It wasn't until the next day I noticed different arp modes being strange.

Anyways, unrelated (and out of boredom) last night, I flicked over to the sequencer and messed around with it for a while. Everything worked fine there and then I switched back to arp - voila - all modes worked perfectly! I must done something strange in sequencer mode by accident on day 1, and then cleared the sequencer when I was messing around last night!

Thanks for all help, all of my issues are sorted out - good ol' operator error!

Time to drift back into the galaxy of sound shapes.... :mrgreen:

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:47 pm

all of my issues are sorted out
Yay! Glad you've got it going. :D I speculate that the testing before they leave the factory leaves some weird data in the arp/seq memory.

The Sub37 is a fantastic and rather deep instrument. The more I use it the happier I am that I got it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

--
Moose

Ollimac73

Post by Ollimac73 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 am

I love the Forum (and Moog)...just got the Sub37 few days ago, it is absolutely amazing sound-machine....went thorough some PRESETS, trying the Arpeggiator, everything was great (fantastic sound)....
After that, I went in INIT / PANEL to finally create some basic patches.... I tried to use the Arpeggiator and ONLY the DOWN mode was working properly. ...UP and RANDOM modes were acting strange, I could hear a "sound" only with extremely low rate...I tried to check some SYNC behavior, some Envelope settings.
Coming from a SubPhatty the Sub37 is a totally different beast ... so deep.

Long story short, I was getting worried....until I saw this thread :mrgreen: looking fwd to go home and CLEAR the SEQUENCER :P
"...A fatal attraction is holding me fast
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?.."

boris_keys

Post by boris_keys » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Just quickly adding that I had arpeggiator issues as well in panel mode - and that clearing the sequencer as described above resolved them. For me, the entire board would slow down when the arp was on in panel mode. The tempo knob was not functioning as expected and button lights would turn on a few seconds after they were engaged.
Again, hard-clearing the sequencer fixed all that.
Thanks for saving me a phone call :D