Question on modular forum content

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
JohnLRice

Question on modular forum content

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi,

Kudos on making a separate modular sub-forum! 8) I'm a little unclear though on what should be posted here and what should be kept in the General Topics sub-forum.

Should only Moog brand original and reissue modulars be discussed here or is it OK to mention user DIY and third party manufacturer clones of Moog modules that may be of interest to Moog brand modular users? For instance, Mos-Lab recently announced they are coming out with their own 960 sequencer clone and I though people here might be interested but I'm not sure now which section to post it in.

Thanks!
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

analogmonster

Re: Question on modular forum content

Post by analogmonster » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:30 am

It has already happened :mrgreen:

I am not a lucky owner of an original Moog Modular, but I am in the cloning business of them, so I dived deeply into the guts of the Moog Systems and circuits, and I would love to discuss about tricks and specials of the Moog modules and the schematics behind them with others. I would be happy if - beside topics about the originals - discussing about clones and DIY would be possible here also.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:31 am

I would bet that at least some of the owners of the new Moog modulars could benefit from discussions of all things modular even if that isn't just Moog brand. There is so much to learn and this is a great place to do that. The idea that you could expand what your system does by simply adding a module or two is the basis of owning a modular. There are a lot of manufacturers out there and they offer some really cool things (that Moog doesn't), so I would find it very limiting to ignore all of the newer advances and options. I frequent the MoogerFooger part of the forum, and there is some discussion of other pedal brands to be used along with them.

I think the ideal situation for Moog would be for the user to be considerate and self regulate depending on if their posting helps or hurts their business (since they are providing this lovely forum to us all free of charge).
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I've been operating under the presumption that it's okay to mention other brands here and there as good complimentary products to fill vacuums in the Moog product lineup. I would also steer someone to what I think the best product for them might be irregardless of whether or not that product is Moog. I can't speak for Moog, but I think they would rather see a truly satisfied customer than someone who has a less-than-stellar experience with a Moog product for whatever reason and chooses another manufacturer over them consistently over the long term. That's my personal "customer service ethos." We are all synth-heads and threads deviate here and there. I think that's healthy for any vibrant community.

As far as the modular stuff is concerned I won't overtly make a million mos-lab posts, but rather patching techniques which may overlap. The love for the Moog sound/aesthetic is what drives the clone industry and I think that as long as Moog isn't making individual modules then we can talk about the merits of the clones for a basis of comparison. There is a bit of a caveat though, because some of the patching philosophy regarding the original modulars, which is likely to be similar on their current line may not carry over. Things such as dealing with voltage drops and such.

See this thread for details on that:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=mixer

By the way I saw where the System 15 SN 001 has arrived at its home.

I also noticed that after I posted the "Individual Modules" thread in the forum, Moog added "System 15 55 and 35" to the description so there may be a possibility that they really only mean they want this to be the place where people go with pictures/questions for their new systems.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:40 pm

EricK wrote:I also noticed that after I posted the "Individual Modules" thread in the forum, Moog added "System 15 55 and 35" to the description so there may be a possibility that they really only mean they want this to be the place where people go with pictures/questions for their new systems.
Yeah, that's partly what prompted my question, along with the fact they haven't tried to move the modular related threads from General Topics to the Modular section. (which would be a tedious task for someone to do anyways! :wink: )

I'm fine either way, I just didn't want to create a headache for the mods if I posted to the wrong area. 8)
John L Rice

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:38 am

Hi All
This topic was created by request of our forum users for the purpose of discussing classic and modern Moog modulars. Other related modular discussions are welcome by the moderator, but it's ultimately up to the users to determine what conversations/topics they are interested in engaging with.

- Your friends at Moog

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:46 am

Moog Music wrote:Hi All
This topic was created by request of our forum users for the purpose of discussing classic and modern Moog modulars. Other related modular discussions are welcome by the moderator, but it's ultimately up to the users to determine what conversations/topics they are interested in engaging with.

- Your friends at Moog
Sounds good, thank you! :-)
John L Rice

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:22 pm

There you have it folks! The official word.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.