The tone of sub phatty and sub37

Everything Sub.
Tech321

The tone of sub phatty and sub37

Post by Tech321 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 pm

I have thought that Sub37 was an upgrade version of Sub Phatty. But in my experience visiting shop and some trial, the tone was quite different from each other.
I love Sub Phatty tone, and I will choose Sub37 if 37 has same tone with Phatty. But any demos in YouTube also show the difference. Phatty
is aggressive and 37 is mild.

Is it true? Or it was caused by my poor operation?

Blackout

Re: The tone of sub phatty and sub37

Post by Blackout » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:08 am

i have both. the basic aggressiveness and tone of the raw saw oscillator, for instance, sound identical to me.

if youre skipping through presets in a shop and you came to this conclusion then maybe thats because theres a lot of strings and plonky sounds in the presets?

i hear a significant difference between a Jupiter 6 and a Jupiter 8, and a difference between them and the rackmount version MKS80. so im fairly tuned into subtle differences. these are (according to the advertising literature of the day) meant to be the same. But theyre certainly not.

the sub phatty and the Sub37 are to my ears the same. other than the Sub37s scope for taking things futher with more functions.

buy the Sub37 with confidence man. you wont need them both.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:30 am

I also have both and I agree with Blackout that they sound the same. The differences you hear may be due to the additional modulation possibilities used in the Sub 37 presets.

You won't NEED them both but you may WANT them both. Hopefully polychain support will soon be added for the Sub P but in the mean time you can still use it as extra oscillators.

Tech321

Post by Tech321 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Thank you, Blackout and Bald Eagle,

The tone should be same, and some additional parameter would mask some character.
i will try them again.

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 pm

When faced with the choice of getting the Slim Phatty vs. the Sub Phatty, I chose the Slim for what I perceived as a more pure Moog tone. I really like the function and design of the Sub37. However I am not in love with the tone of either of the Subs based on most of the demos I have seen. To my ears it sounds a little 'buzzy.' It's also one of the most distinctive in terms of tone. I find it to be much more colored than any of Moog's synths. Another criticism of the Sub sound is that it is too precise.

But I don't know if this just because there are not a lot of good demos out there that showcase something other than factory presets.
One comment I read on another forum said that a lot of the sounds you hear in these demos are where there is drive or distortion before the filter.

Just wondering if any Sub Phatty or Sub37 users find this to be the case?

More recently, I have heard a few examples of sounds from the Sub37 that I do like. I am now wondering if I just need to get my hands on one, especially as much
as people are raving about how much they like their Sub37, in order to make a more informed opinion.

At this time I'm learning more towards a Voyager RME but I would like to know are the Subs capable of producing a more pure, brighter, Moog tone?

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:11 am

hey dmod....wait wait....we were not talking about the Slim Phatty.

the Slim Phatty definately sounds different. from what ive heard and from what many have said, the Slim Phatty beats the Subs (Phatty and 37) by a small margin when it comes to raw sound. Im sure there are ppl here who know more about it than me but my guess is that the Slim Phatty was more based on the Voyager oscillator architecture?

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Blackout wrote:wait wait....we were not talking about the Slim Phatty.
Yep, noticed that too, but as someone who owns a Sub37 and then purchased a Slim Phatty, the differences are clearly audible*, but the feature-set of the Sub37 is overwhelmingly positive.

*Please do not make me choose!

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:49 pm

MoogProg wrote:
Blackout wrote:wait wait....we were not talking about the Slim Phatty.
Yep, noticed that too, but as someone who owns a Sub37 and then purchased a Slim Phatty, the differences are clearly audible*, but the feature-set of the Sub37 is overwhelmingly positive.

*Please do not make me choose!
yeah a "best of both worlds" in a synth would be nice. not that im complaining about the sound of the Sub37!

meantime the best of both worlds can be had by ...having.. um both.

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:41 pm

I would like to see and hear more demos of the Subs 'playing nice.' I've seen only a few. The Subs definitely have their own unique charcter and there may be a place for it yet in my sound pallette.
Unforturnately, I am not drawn to them based on what I've heard so far and what I have read on these forums. I get that it is a 'very rude' sounding synth. That's not a good or bad thing; it IS different.

440hz

Post by 440hz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:13 am

dmodhotr wrote:I would like to see and hear more demos of the Subs 'playing nice.' I've seen only a few. The Subs definitely have their own unique charcter and there may be a place for it yet in my sound pallette.
Unforturnately, I am not drawn to them based on what I've heard so far and what I have read on these forums. I get that it is a 'very rude' sounding synth. That's not a good or bad thing; it IS different.
Here is one I made, 100% Sub Phatty. :)

http://soundcloud.com/woolight/hepta-moog

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Tech321 wrote:I have thought that Sub37 was an upgrade version of Sub Phatty. But in my experience visiting shop and some trial, the tone was quite different from each other.
I love Sub Phatty tone, and I will choose Sub37 if 37 has same tone with Phatty. But any demos in YouTube also show the difference. Phatty
is aggressive and 37 is mild.

Is it true? Or it was caused by my poor operation?
I have the 37 and had the Sub Phatty. Now the Sub Phatty is gone but i kept it many months after the purchase of my 37. For me there's some differences in tone. I remember that my Sub Phatty was a bit punchier and has more low end. In my opinion, the 37 has more presence in the medium than the Sub P.
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

till

Post by till » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 pm

I did some A/B comparisons with my SubPhatty and a friends Sub37.
They sounded on all tried sounds very much alike.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:10 pm

Wicked demo 440hz! Thanks for sharing! This is exactly what I was looking for in regard to the Subs sounding old school, and yes very Moogish, but with it's own unique character.