Voyager EB Filter Env Sustain not working

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
prog_keys

Voyager EB Filter Env Sustain not working

Post by prog_keys » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 am

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I've been on here! My Voyager doesn't get used a huge amount these days (mainly for recording as I'm not too comfortable taking it out live), but I still love it and occasionally get the urge to noodle on it.

Recently I've noticed some aberrant behaviour in the Filter Envelope section. The Sustain parameter appear to have no effect on the sound being produced on any of the patches on the Voyager. Attack and Release are fine, can't tell with Decay as it's function can only really be heard if the Sustain parameter is working correctly. I've tried a variety of patches, including default patches, and as far as I can tell Sustain doesn't work - no change is heard in the filter cutoff (with positive or negative amounts of the envelope sent to the filter). Filter Envelope trigger behaviour seems to be fine, have tried initialising parameters etc. but no change.

I've got my Voyager MIDI'd up to a Studio Electronics Boomstar and the filter envelope behaviour between the two instruments is clearly different. Really not sure what could be causing this, so any help/advice is appreciated.

I've already emailed Moog tech support and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully it's nothing major as the nearest authorised tech centre is almost 3500km away!

voyager0500

Re: Voyager EB Filter Env Sustain not working

Post by voyager0500 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Prog

"Minimoog Voyagers built between mid-2010 and January 2013 with the following serial numbers: Select Series 829-1724, Performer 2990-3445, Electric Blue 1506-2075, RME 1330-1925, XL 1-545, and Lunar Select Series 1-57. If your Minimoog Voyager is not within this serial number range, you should not expect these issues and we would appreciate it if you do not unnecessarily burden our small Service Staff with a call."

If your Voyager falls under any of the above serial numbers then it might be an issue that Moog need to look at. the above is from the support email that was sent to all registered Voyager owners.
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:13 pm

voyager0500 wrote:Hi Prog

"Minimoog Voyagers built between mid-2010 and January 2013 with the following serial numbers: Select Series 829-1724, Performer 2990-3445, Electric Blue 1506-2075, RME 1330-1925, XL 1-545, and Lunar Select Series 1-57. If your Minimoog Voyager is not within this serial number range, you should not expect these issues and we would appreciate it if you do not unnecessarily burden our small Service Staff with a call."

If your Voyager falls under any of the above serial numbers then it might be an issue that Moog need to look at. the above is from the support email that was sent to all registered Voyager owners.
My Voyager does not fall within these numbers BUT - The plate on it says "Select Series" and the S/N begins with "EB" (EB 2423) which I'm assuming means Electric Blue (since it has a blue illuminated panel). So, I'm wondering what classification it really falls under. Select or Electric Blue?
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

prog_keys

Post by prog_keys » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

voyager0500 wrote:Hi Prog

Thanks for that voyager0500, was aware of that email from earlier. My serial number is higher (newer) than those mentioned in the email, but it could possibly be an issue with one of the IC's that caused it. Still waiting to hear from Moog themselves.

machinea

Post by machinea » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:35 am

fyi Mine fell outside the stated serials as well and was bought in 2009. I had the IC failure and had to have the board replaced.