RE: Mini / Multi - Home Recording (FX)?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Piktor

Re: RE: Mini / Multi - Home Recording (FX)?

Post by Piktor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Paul, run the audio output from the Juno into audio input of the Mutimoog. Run the Mulitmoog's audio output into your mixer (or amp). Don't run anything back into the Juno. Turn the Multi's oscillators to off. Turn the Multi's volume knob up. Do not set filter mode to tone; set it to norm or full. I prefer full (see item 2 below). Now you need to do one of two things to the Multimoog.
1. Set the Multi's loudness bypass to on so the the Juno's audio can pass through the Multi, by way of the filter and amp section.
2. OR leave loudness bypass to set to off. Hold a note or chord on the Juno. At the same time press a key on the Multi. Now you can trigger the Multi's envelopes with one hand. If you set filter mode to full and the resonance to high, and the multi filter about 3/5 open, you will hear tonal changes, depending on which keys you play on the multi. TIP: Use a bright (i.e. Open filter) sound on the Juno, so the Moog's filtering effect can have lots of overtones to filter.

Let's see if that works.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks Piktor,

I appreciate that. But I need to sleep on it to try and get my head around it (not that your description is below excellent; just that it is totally new to me and I seem to take ages to understand things!). Just me being a bit slow really!

Do you have any You Tube videos where you demonstrate this sort of wiring?

I was kind I hoping/wanting to only have my hands on (playing) the JUNO, and so not actually pressing any of the NOTES on the MULTI. So that the only time I have ONE hand on the JUNO and ONE hand on the MULTI is when I am tweaking the dials/knobs on that latter. This may very well not achieve the same aural effects that you were describing above, but I wondered if it would still produce enough timbre/tone manipulation for my wants and needs?

Hope that makes sense! :shock:

Ta man,

Paul

Piktor

Post by Piktor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:04 pm

You're welcome Paul. I don't have any other YT videos going at the moment, though I have been giving some thought to adding to the series.

I get what you mean about not triggering the Multi while passing Juno audio through it. If you just want the Moog's filter to be static (no modulation), then just set the Multi in the first way that I described, open the filter to where you like it and off you go. You will probably want to do something a bit more interesting. You can set the Multi's modulation source up with the square wave, the triangle wave, or the S&H, set the destination to filter, set the modulation wheel and rate to taste (probably at some division of the tempo that you want to play) and play the Juno. For added fun, also set your delay pedal's echo rate to some division of the tempo too.

I found a couple videos of folks running guitar and synth through some of the new Moogs. Using the VC pedal or the midi to control voltage converter (MPU 101) that I have, you could do what they are doing with your Multimoog. However, the new Moogs look like they make the endeavor more hassle-free than using the pre-midi Multimoog. The newer synths respond to common midi expression pedals and their envelopes, etc. can be triggered via the Juno's (or Nord's) midi out, without all the trouble of having to use an old midi to control voltage converter like the MPU 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0JW2kTDKa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bNRzvHby8

See if these give you an idea of what could be done. The guitar guy shows you the routing, though I suspect that you won't be using an distortion pedal the way that he does.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 am

Hi Piktor,
Piktor wrote:You're welcome Paul. I don't have any other YT videos going at the moment, though I have been giving some thought to adding to the series.
Ok, that would be great if you expanded upon your current You Tube library of MOOG upload videos. I am sure that they would prove quite popular.
Piktor wrote:I get what you mean about not triggering the Multi while passing Juno audio through it. If you just want the Moog's filter to be static (no modulation), then just set the Multi in the first way that I described, open the filter to where you like it and off you go. You will probably want to do something a bit more interesting. You can set the Multi's modulation source up with the square wave, the triangle wave, or the S&H, set the destination to filter, set the modulation wheel and rate to taste (probably at some division of the tempo that you want to play) and play the Juno. For added fun, also set your delay pedal's echo rate to some division of the tempo too.
All great ideas there thank you Piktor. Yes, those suggestions of MULTI settings will certainly create plenty of (much desired) movement (in the timbre of the JUNO).
Piktor wrote:I found a couple videos of folks running guitar and synth through some of the new Moogs. Using the VC pedal or the midi to control voltage converter (MPU 101) that I have, you could do what they are doing with your Multimoog. However, the new Moogs look like they make the endeavor more hassle-free than using the pre-midi Multimoog. The newer synths respond to common midi expression pedals and their envelopes, etc. can be triggered via the Juno's (or Nord's) midi out, without all the trouble of having to use an old midi to control voltage converter like the MPU 101.
Ok, cheers.
Piktor wrote:See if these give you an idea of what could be done. The guitar guy shows you the routing, though I suspect that you won't be using an distortion pedal the way that he does.
Thanks a lot. I will check out the two LINKS shortly.

Best,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 am

Hi,
I the first video, when he adds RES and disables the OVERDRIVE pedal, his GUITAR sounds very much like a SITAR! In the 70's, I know Miles Davis's guitarist (Pete Cosey) used a SYNTHI guitar. Not sure if that will have been something similar?

In the second, the POLY 800 and PHATTY configuration sound very nice and fat!

Paul

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Hey Everyone! Here's a something I did recently using the Sub37's Audio Input to create a unique filter sweep effect. MonsterJazzLicks made a comment on my Soundclud asking how. Figure, I'll reply here where there is some general interest in these things.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-h-geimer/random-pad

What did first was set-up the repeating note sequence using a TR-505 Drum Machine and the step-sequencer on a MicroBrute. This is the bed of the track, and it is sending MIDI clock out to the Sub37 which is playing nothing. Instead the Sub37 is processing the audio from another synth—the string-pad chords—to create the 'arpeggiator' sound we hear in the background.

But, it is not an Arpeggio or Sequence that creates the effect. It is a combination of both MODs affecting different aspects of the Filter (FREQ and RES).
MOD1 uses a downward Sawtooth, sync'd to the incoming MIDI clock but with a very long period spanning something like six measures. It sweeps the filter from high to low over its long length.
MOD2 uses the S&H also in sync to the MIDI clock, and it is affecting the RESONANCE of the filter, and is the crux of the effect.

For the recording, I played the string pads sounds on a Dr-Synth module, live to tape along with the drum machine and step-sequence. The effect was just doing its thing to my pad chords as the audio passed through the Sub37. I was not personally controlling it any way. So when you hear the effect start over, it is really just MOD1 starting its downward saw over again.

Worth noting that the whole idea is somewhat inspired by Won't Get Fooled Again. Hope my explanation is helpful, and encourages people to use those Audio Inputs.

Piktor

Post by Piktor » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:40 am

Hey Moogprog,

Great sound and ideas. Thanks for the link and the description of how you set everything up.

P

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:12 am

Very nice Moogprog, really liked it!

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks ProgMoog,

Yes I remember hearing this excellent track on SoundCloud last month.

Appreciate the comprehensive explanation and also the LINK.

I am a big TV fan of CSI (Vegas) and so I really like the tune "WGFA".

Best,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 am

Hi,
monsterjazzlicks wrote:If you assign the PEDAL to control PITCH BEND (as you do in the above video), then does this allow you to free up the MOD WHEEL to control something totally different? For instance, use the PEDAL for PITCH BENDING and and MOD WHEEL for FILTER MOD? I am taking the RIBBON CONTROLLER completely out of the equation here (as mine is non-functioning).
If I was to get the RIBBON CONTROLLER completely DISABLED on my MULTI, and also ditto for the FORCE SENSOR (is the AFTER TOUCH sense)+

then would connecting a PEDAL (as recently discussed) still allow me to control parameters (PITCH BEND, FILER MOD, etc)? Or will this (PEDAL) facility be automatically DISABLED alongside the RIBBON and FORCE SENSOR please?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:20 am

Hello,
monsterjazzlicks wrote:What I was specifically trying to achieve was to record a jazzy track using the MULTI exclusively. So to not include any other keyboards if possible. In any case, I don't think I will be able to perform what I had originally planned (something like a STAN GETZ solo) and so I am going to have to find a workaround of sorts.
I think that I am going to have to use my ROLAND XV5050 module and NORD STAGE CLASSIC alongside the (self created) MULTIMOOG SAX patch in my (hopefully!) soon coming jazzy demonstration.

It (the MULTIMOOG SAX) is simply just not sounding strong enough in isolation and so needs some kind of cushion underneath it (either a PIANO, PAD or BASS [or all three!]). Plus, the SAX will have to be DOUBLED (at the very least!) in order for it to provide a somewhat (much needed) thicker texture.

The MXR DELAY does not work in this instance because, stylistically, it's sonic contribution is not at all conducive to old style jazz band genre.

Help, does anyone know Stevie Winwood's number please?! :o

Cheers,

Paul

Piktor

Post by Piktor » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:46 am

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
If I was to get the RIBBON CONTROLLER completely DISABLED on my MULTI, and also ditto for the FORCE SENSOR (is the AFTER TOUCH sense)

then would connecting a PEDAL (as recently discussed) still allow me to control parameters (PITCH BEND, FILER MOD, etc)? Or will this (PEDAL) facility be automatically DISABLED alongside the RIBBON and FORCE SENSOR please?[/quote]

Hi Paul,

You might have already described what was wrong with the pressure sensor on your Multi, but I am not sure if you did. Why do you want to disengage it? When you pull off the Multi's two bottom plastic panels you can see how the force sensor works "mechanically". Maybe your problem is cureable. You might already know this, but you can also set the controls up so that keyboard pressure does not do anything. I also think that your ribbon is repairable, but if you want to put that off for a future repair, you could probably disconnect the thing. Though I have not tried disconnecting the ribbon and force sensor, I am pretty sure that a VC pedal could still work on the Multi, even if the pitch ribbon and force sensor are disconnected.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:58 am

Hello Piktor,
Piktor wrote:
monsterjazzlicks wrote: If I was to get the RIBBON CONTROLLER completely DISABLED on my MULTI, and also ditto for the FORCE SENSOR (is the AFTER TOUCH sense)then would connecting a PEDAL (as recently discussed) still allow me to control parameters (PITCH BEND, FILER MOD, etc)? Or will this (PEDAL) facility be automatically DISABLED alongside the RIBBON and FORCE SENSOR please?
Hi Paul,

You might have already described what was wrong with the pressure sensor on your Multi, but I am not sure if you did. Why do you want to disengage it? When you pull off the Multi's two bottom plastic panels you can see how the force sensor works "mechanically". Maybe your problem is cureable. You might already know this, but you can also set the controls up so that keyboard pressure does not do anything. I also think that your ribbon is repairable, but if you want to put that off for a future repair, you could probably disconnect the thing. Though I have not tried disconnecting the ribbon and force sensor, I am pretty sure that a VC pedal could still work on the Multi, even if the pitch ribbon and force sensor are disconnected.
The FORCE SENSOR (AFTERTOUCH) seems to work pretty much ok but the RIBBON does not.

I can happily live without both facility's to be honest. But I was kind of interested in trying out the VC PEDAL since you mentioned it last month. So that's why I was wondering if the latter would work if the two aforementioned controllers were both mechanically DISABLED.

Thanks,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:03 pm

<IGNORE>
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Piktor

Post by Piktor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:33 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Help, does anyone know Stevie Winwood's number please?! :o

Cheers,

Paul
Sorry, but I couldn't help with that. Here's my cheap substitute: http://youtu.be/cEtOGgYBy-I

:wink: