It can't be said often enough - read the manual!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Gladmarr

It can't be said often enough - read the manual!

Post by Gladmarr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:11 pm

I just now - today - realized that the CP-251 Sample and Hold has two different outputs. I've been running output 1 through the lag processor to get a "smoothed" sample and hold for years. I just realized that output 2 gives a "smoothed" sample and hold. Ugh!!

Ledbetter

Re: It can't be said often enough - read the manual!

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm with you. I find it most helpful to read, turn knobs, read again, and repeat. Most manuals contain too much info to take it all in at once.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 pm

The manuals for these are great and worth reading and re-reading!
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 pm

You'd think there would be some kind of a hint on the panel....

...just sayin'.....

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:25 pm

After I saw this post, I reread the CP-251 manual and found at least 1 thing new and interesting:

The Lowpass Filter cutoff on the smoothed S&H output is proportional to the LFO speed, so you can send CV to the LFO to control the smoothing Filter!

I have no idea how I will use this information, but it is interesting and something new to experiment with no less.

Another thing is the Noise output is 1.2vPP, which seems like a very low range for a Sample and Hold. I bet you could patch a better noise source into there and get different resulting output too. ...or run the noise out to a lowpass filter and back to the S&H to limit the range of noise and have CV control over that effect by controlling the filter.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Bryan B wrote:The Lowpass Filter cutoff on the smoothed S&H output is proportional to the LFO speed, so you can send CV to the LFO to control the smoothing Filter!
This is actually pretty important, as far as I'm concerned. That means your smoothed Sample and Hold will always be smooth at every sampling rate. I tried to duplicate the smoothed sample and hold from this thing, and my version is very "not smooth" at very low sampling rate.
Last edited by Gladmarr on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:12 pm

I guess an external LFO could be used and the internal one's rate would dictate the filtering frequency.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Oh yeah, that way you can vary how smooth the smoothed sample and hold is at different frequencies.

I also learned a couple weeks ago that you can run audio into the input of the sample and hold, clock the sample and hold with a much faster LFO, and the output will be a sample rate reducer (or nyquist aliaser) when you slow down the external LFO.