Will moog eventually add MIDI to all the foogers?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
stuart_melvey

Will moog eventually add MIDI to all the foogers?

Post by stuart_melvey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 am

Do you think Moog will go back and reinvent all of them? I'm surprised the only ones they have updated is the 105m and 104m delay, the last of which came out in 2012. I've been dying for them to release a 101m. I play guitar alongside ableton and the MIDI foogers are a treat. Would love to know your thoughts/reasons why this hasn't happened yet.

Bryan B

Re: Will moog eventually add MIDI to all the foogers?

Post by Bryan B » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:47 pm

I think they should at least have a MIDI Freqbox (to be able to play the VCO with a keyboard) and Lowpass Filter. Why not make MIDI versions of all of them? I guess the cost of developing them would need to be recouped through sales.

I honestly think they are done with this line. They have moved on to Minifoogers and who knows what else might come to life as a Moog product.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:23 pm

I'd kill for an MF-101M with an LFO and midi controlled drive. Who knows about the Moogerfooger's future though.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:25 pm

I fear they might be killing off all the moogerfoogers.
We will see. Unless they bring updated ones out to replace 107, and 105m,
I think they are phasing them out. Time will tell.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:19 pm

I hope not! I like to think that Moog's specialty is over-functional, over-optioned musical gadgets that only a few discerning souls want. I think of the Minifoogers as just some cheap pedals to help pay the electric bills at the factory.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Terms like out of stock, discontinued, are the kind of things that led to a land of confusion. We're finding the whole out-of-chip thing disconcerting. Only one manufacture in the world has those chips? We got the XL because the patch panel would be fun with the Moogers. Great Scott, we hope there isn't someone on a beanstalk clamoring FE, FI, Fooger, I smell the end of Mooger. Being a newbie to Moog and MIDI, maybe this why direction is changing. Discontinue, Redesign, Re-issue one for MIDI, MIDI for ALL!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Terms like out of stock, discontinued, are the kind of things that led to a land of confusion. We're finding the whole out-of-chip thing disconcerting. Only one manufacture in the world has those chips? We got the XL because the patch panel would be fun with the Moogers. Great Scott, we hope there isn't someone on a beanstalk clamoring FE, FI, Fooger, I smell the end of Mooger. Being a newbie to Moog and MIDI, maybe this why direction is changing. Discontinue, Redesign, Re-issue one for MIDI, MIDI for ALL!!!
Yes, seeing as how the use of the same Panasonic chips as the 104SD was a key feature and selling point of the 104MSD, there is only one delay chip manufacturer that counts. If you want to try your luck with a different chip try the MiniFooger Delay.

re: availability of recently discontinued Moogers:

There are still plenty of MuRF's and Freq boxes available new, and plenty of used ones too. I bought a 103 and a CP-251 used and they were each in excellent condition and have served me well.

Adding MIDI to all of the Foogers would very likely turn out to be a very cool upgrade.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:14 am

I would hope that they didn't add midi to them, but I agree that they are probably going to phase some more of them out. The market has to be about saturated by now, there are over 10,000 Ringmods and 101s. That was announced 4 years ago.

The 102 would probably be the last to go and the first to get some Midi enhancements if not for any other reason than it is their most popular fooger.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 am

TBH, I haven't even tried the MIDI ports on mine. The CV's are cool enough.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:40 am

How many times will we ask this?

The answer is . . . NEVER!

Actually, I don't know, but our pleas for upgrades and expansions to the existing foogers seem to fall on deaf ears.

All I do know is that there haven't been any new developments in the Moogerfooger line for over a year now. I'm not really sure I even count the 104MSD as a development . . . yes yes, I owned and loved one until my tape echo replaced it, I miss it dearly, and I acknowledge that it was an upgrade of the normal 104M . . . but it just fell in the "tried and true" design patterns that Moog has issued in the past.

I did meet a couple of Reps at the Dallas Guitar Show in May. The Sales Manager guy did suggest that they hadn't forgotten about the foogers despite discontinuing the MF-105M and the MF-107, but he gave me no assurances or indication that anything was in the pipeline, instead he wanted to shift our conversation to the minifoogers.

I even queried him about upgrading the other foogers and the feeling I got was that it wasn't even being considered.

We all know that tap tempo/the LFO switch/MIDI would greatly expand the foogers, but unless we organize the MILLION MOOGERFOOGER MARCH on Asheville nothing will change, my brothers.

RISE FELLOW MOOGERS!

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:26 am

Okay . .. well I'm guessing there's not a million of us. Maybe a few thousand . . . :oops:

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:41 am

I'll provide the donuts.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:48 am

I have been wanting to tour the factory, maybe I could hitch-hike out for a a Fooger right to design enhancements march! Especially if there is Donuts involved.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Get a small eurorack case, throw in Expert Sleepers ES-3, bingo synced CVs (LFOs, DC off sets, clocks, stepped LFOs, S&H, S&G, envelopes...etc) from your DAW to any moogerfooger CV input..
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:24 am

nectarios wrote:Get a small eurorack case, throw in Expert Sleepers ES-3, bingo synced CVs (LFOs, DC off sets, clocks, stepped LFOs, S&H, S&G, envelopes...etc) from your DAW to any moogerfooger CV input..
I'm not really sure if you're trying to be helpful or support Moog Music's indolence. :lol:

I can understand your perspective but not everybody finds it convenient to use a DAW all the time when they are performing or for their particular style. I certainly don't. Pedals by themselves are difficult enough to incorporate in live performances much of the time for my style of playing, but if they have tap tempo or at least a tap tempo attachment like the MURF does it makes it much easier to sync the modulation or whatever to the piece I'm performing or interpreting.

It may be a different story while recording; however, if the pedals were equipped with these suggested upgrades then the CV inputs can be combined with your Euro stuff (and 4-5 Sausages, a Chocolate Cigarette, and an Espresso . . .)