Custom Koma

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
jsharpphoto

Custom Koma

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:27 am

I got my Koma ST201 in last week. I opted to get the black version so it would match the MF-104m next to it.

Here's how it came.
image.jpg
I cut new side panels to replace the plywood ones. I also made it a little bit taller in the back to match the slope of the MF104.
image.jpg
Like most people who have made their own panels, I used a scrap of red oak from Home Depot. This particular piece didn't have much of a pink tone to it, pretty neutral. I used one coat of minwax "gun stock" stain, a coat of "espresso" stain, then one last light coat of "gun stock". The match is perfect. Gun stock is a little to orange to match the current moogerfoogers and the sub37. Finished off with a light coat of 100% tung oil.

Build time - 1.5 hours, accumulated.

I'm sure all of this has been done before, but I hadn't seen this combo posted before, and since I'm new, I thought I would try and contribute something.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Re: Custom Koma

Post by DonutDude » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Nice job and welcome to the forum!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:41 am

That, nice job and welcome :)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Very nice work. Now we all want to hear how well the Koma plays with the Foogers.

Stephen

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Very nice work. Now we all want to hear how well the Koma plays with the Foogers.
I will wholeheartedly second that vote!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Very nice work. Now we all want to hear how well the Koma plays with the Foogers.

Stephen

I am just getting everything set back up. Whenever I get multiple pieces of new gear a the same time, i go a little ADD and need to learn to experiment with one thing at a time. I have however, used it directly with my Sub37. Honestly, I don't love the filters with the synth running through it. They are no comparison to the magic of the moog filter. They do, however, sound great with my drum machines cranking through them. The CV step sequencer is a real treat. I'd say, it's functionality is a mix between a Murf, a CP-251, and a photo-theremin. I have run the optical sensor out to the Pitch CV of my synth, and it acts like a theremin controlling the pitch bender. You still have to hold your root voltage (key) or latch it, but then the gestures will effect pitch from there. You can run the sequencer output (CV) to the the CV input of any fooger, and use the step sequencer to control it. The possibilities are endless. In theory, you could run the sequencer out, to the "pedal input" on a CP-251, and then multiply it out to multiple destinations. Preaching to the choir, i guess. Bottom line is, I bought it knowing (from youtube videos) that the filters weren't amazing, but it plays very well with everything else.

videos to come, i promise.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2