Bass synth

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MNordex

Bass synth

Post by MNordex » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm looking for a compact setup in a bass & lead synth (two synths or an all-in-one). I've tested a Minitaur, Sub Phatty and Sub 37 all great sounding synths with all some pros and cons. Does anyone has good tips for me? Which synth works great in a live set up? And do you use anther synth beside it? And does anyone know if there will be a next Moog Bass synth soon with more/other possibilities?

stiiiiiiive

Re: Bass synth

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:25 am

Hey MNordex, welcome to the forum :)

Really? None of the existing Moog synths fits your needs? ;)

It depends on how you’re planning to “play” your instrument live.
It is sequence oriented vs. hand played? For hand playing, the Minitaur will require a MIDI or CV keyboard, the SubPhatty will offer only 2 octaves, the Sub37 offers 3 octaves which seems to be the minimum to me.
Will you play bass and lead simultaneously? In this case, you’ll need more than one Moog synth, or the newer Sub37 for its special (limited) duo-mode flavor.
Be aware that the Minitaur cannot play notes over the C5 limit, i.e. leads will have a special flavor here too.

My experience:
I’ve been a keyboardist for yeaaaars now, not a great technician but need keys. In one of my bands, the Little Phatty is the bassist (with my left hand). I play it along with a Clavia G2 for more harmonic parts, so I cannot use the knobs a lot, but when I need to, I feel comfortable.
In order not to move 30 kg of gear each time I rehearse, I often use my guitarist’s Sub Phatty. On a sidenote, I prefer the LP’s sound over the Sub’s. I first though the two octaves of the SubPhatty would be too short, but in practice, for basslines, it’s ok, just ok.
Oh and if weight matters, the LP / Sub37 in their soft bag weigh around 12 kg.

MNordex

Post by MNordex » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:06 am

I will play bass guitar and bass synth with lead synth in this band, that's why I want it to be as compact as possible. I need both hands by playing the synth so in that case the Minitaur should be the best option because it's the most compact solution and I cannot use the knobs and modulation etc. and that is on the other hand a shame because that makes the instruments much cooler. But it doesn't has a screen so for live I do not know when to switch to what preset... The Sub Phatty doesn't have aftertouch and I miss a screen on it and the Sub 37 is awesome too if I could use it as a stand alone synth but I need another synth besides it because I cannot play two parts at the same time, neither with the pharaphonic knob (Ive tried but that doesn't gives me the right lead sound). So for no on I guess will use my Inegra-7 module with 49 midi keyboard and I will wait for Moog's next synth I guess...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:33 am

So you actually had your answer already :D

Waiting for the next Moog synth... mmk, maybe you should buy another synth right now, I don't know. Better play something good than nothing at all.

MNordex

Post by MNordex » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:46 pm

That's why I post a message. I hope people can inspire and advice me with (other) options en their experiences.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Saying that the current offerings have their pros and cons, without mentioning what those are, doesn't give us much information. None, actually. And what is your synthesis experience? Do the synths not make the right sounds, or do you just not know how to create those sounds? If you need two small synths, why not look at a used phatty or a new sub37, an addition to a microbrute? The microbrute doesn't sound like a moog, because it isn't, but it's bassy, stand-alone, and basically free. Cheaper than a microkorg, even.

And FYI, most analog synths can do a simple filter sweep with an expression pedal. Just look for one with "Filter CV Input".
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MNordex

Post by MNordex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 am

The sounds of all these synths are great, the Sub 37 is my favorite.

The Minitaur is compact but I couldn't integrede it with my other synths with midi and the software/firmware didn't install on my computer (error, missing files). that frustrated me, so I send that synth back because I want a user friendly synth. Sounds are easy to create by the way, the bass sounds are really bassy and it't easy to create the sounds. But i miss a screen for save and choose presets.

The Sub Phatty is a great synth, but I should want to use this one as stand alone because Otherwise I can't use the modulation/pitchband and other knobs on stage. I really miss the aftertouch of this synth. If I only play bass parts on it, 2 octaves is enough. I miss a screen for save sound and choose sounds and I don't like the button 'hidden' menu's and only 16 presets to save.

TheSub 37 is my favorite but I also should want to use this as a stand alone. I tried to use it with the paraphonic option but the sounds I need, cannot make with this synth, or played with both hands, than I need another type of synth ( a poly one). It's very easy to create sounds, there is a screen to save and choose much of presets. I don't need the sequencer and arpeggiator for the band but it's a nice option. It has aftertouch, a bigger keyboard and it looks great. But I also need another synth besides it for the synth/lead sounds and than this one is too expensive for me and too big for on stage. If you play a moog, you only should have one moog on stage without another synth above or near it so you can use all options on stage.

For bass sounds I really want the moog sound, but a small one, with a screen, with enough presets to save, with aftertouch and if it's possible with some effects on board. A great moog should be one with 49 keys with split function. Left side mono, right side poly.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 am

MNordex wrote:The sounds of all these synths are great, the Sub 37 is my favorite.

The Minitaur is compact but I couldn't integrede it with my other synths with midi and the software/firmware didn't install on my computer (error, missing files). that frustrated me, so I send that synth back because I want a user friendly synth. Sounds are easy to create by the way, the bass sounds are really bassy and it't easy to create the sounds. But i miss a screen for save and choose presets.

The Sub Phatty is a great synth, but I should want to use this one as stand alone because Otherwise I can't use the modulation/pitchband and other knobs on stage. I really miss the aftertouch of this synth. If I only play bass parts on it, 2 octaves is enough. I miss a screen for save sound and choose sounds and I don't like the button 'hidden' menu's and only 16 presets to save.

TheSub 37 is my favorite but I also should want to use this as a stand alone. I tried to use it with the paraphonic option but the sounds I need, cannot make with this synth, or played with both hands, than I need another type of synth ( a poly one). It's very easy to create sounds, there is a screen to save and choose much of presets. I don't need the sequencer and arpeggiator for the band but it's a nice option. It has aftertouch, a bigger keyboard and it looks great. But I also need another synth besides it for the synth/lead sounds and than this one is too expensive for me and too big for on stage. If you play a moog, you only should have one moog on stage without another synth above or near it so you can use all options on stage.

For bass sounds I really want the moog sound, but a small one, with a screen, with enough presets to save, with aftertouch and if it's possible with some effects on board. A great moog should be one with 49 keys with split function. Left side mono, right side poly.
I don't know where to start. You want a small moog, with a screen, that somehow had 49 keys, and a mono+poly split function. Terrific! You've cracked the code. The moog engineers now have a purpose in life. Would you like this $15,000 synth to have Ash side panels or rosewood?

It sounds like the only thing that's going to make you happy, is a cheap laptop running Arturia's Analog Lab, and a keylab 49 controller. It will do the keysplit like you want and sound "analog" to people who don't know better. The whole setup should cost less than a $1,000
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:58 pm

The discontinued Slim Phatty (available on eBay at really good prices) is compact, has the Moog sound, can store presets, and has a screen. Maybe that will work for your situation when you combine it with a polyphonic synth that has keys.

If you want to be able to split the keyboard and play the Moog in the lower register while you are also playing the poly synth in the upper register I don't know if that is possible. Maybe via Midi using separate Midi channels. That's not something I know about. You'll have to ask others here about that.

I'd suggest you get an analog or virtual analog poly synth. It's not a Moog, but it may be more convenient to use in your situation.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:45 pm

There are polyphonic analog synths to be had from other manufacturers, fully digital, hybrid, and/or fully analog. If you are OK with digital reproduction (VA) you can get a nice instrument for a very good price. Shop around! If you want fully analog, the choice is more limited but available and somewhat costly.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:14 pm

I understand you could use a Roland A-PRO which is able to do splits on different channels/ports. In that way you can control a Minitaur on the low register and a software polysynth on the upper.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

MNordex

Post by MNordex » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:58 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Minitaur / Sub Phatty / Sub 37 (which I all tried at home near my synths) sounds very thick and full while my other synths (which I thought they sound great) sound thin and flat. So now I really want a Moog... And besides a Moog a poly synth which sounds better than my Roland Integra-7 and Nord Stage (this last one sounds great but isn't that compact). Any suggestions?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:50 am

For starters, you can try Nord Leads for cool digital with analogue feel or DSIs P08 or MophoX4 for real analogue.