how to download or see preset settings?

Everything Phatty.
drossi

how to download or see preset settings?

Post by drossi » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:13 pm

I expected the preset settings would be documented and cannot find that. How can I determine the preset settings?

I know there is an editor coming from MoogMusic later this decade and I expect that will work. Otherwise how?

Thanks

GregVDS

Re: how to download or see preset settings?

Post by GregVDS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 am

Currently, you can't.

More precisely, you can download sysex files for a given rest, all the presets, a full dump of the entire synth, but the sysex file I can't read with anything, all that one can do currently, is to upload it back to the synth (a preset file can be updloaded to another preset place, the rest comes back to its former place (all presets to all presets, entire dump to entire synth).

We all hope to have the Sub37 editor sometimes during the summer; it should come with a nice sub37 panel lookalike, helping us to understand how the presets are made (at least I hope to better understand one thing or two).

All the best,

Greg

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:50 pm

I ordered a Sub 37, and have the same question about how, if possible, to edit/recall presets, as I've never worked with an analog synthesizer before.

Based on what Greg said, Moog would need to make an editor specifically for the Sub 37 for presets to be viewable and editable?; I cannot do so through a generic sysex editor, like Sysex Librarian? It seems you're saying you can dump the data to your computer, however, you just can't parse what is there.

Presumably, this process of Sysex dumping requires transferring the data on the computer, then subsequently viewing it, and not actually being able to view and edit in real time as you're tweaking the knobs on the synth?

Lastly, if you wish to figure out the parameters of a newly loaded preset on an analog synth without digital controls, how would you do so? You would need to tweak every knob a bit to find out where it's actually at?

Thank you.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:26 am

I don't know if the Moog Sub37 editor will be a realtime one. I hope so, but nothing is known. I know it will have a virtual panel of the Sub37 of some kind, so One can hope to see the actual position and settings of a given preste. I hope there will be a means to know exact values too. I don't know if this will work in realtime (I don't think so, as the USB protocol currently seems to only download and upload sysex files).

Currently (firmware V1.1), yes, you have to tweak every knob to find the parameter value of a new loaded preset.

I didn't try to find out what's inside the sysex dump files. I prefer to wait Moog editor than corrupt something in the file, upload it and brickdown my Sub37 just for kicks.

All the best,

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:05 am

GregVDS wrote:I don't know if the Moog Sub37 editor will be a realtime one.
Speaking more broadly, does realtime editing of patches through Sysex or USB exist for any other analog synths?
GregVDS wrote:I hope so, but nothing is known. I know it will have a virtual panel of the Sub37 of some kind...
Had Moog spoken recently about releasing an editor publicly?
GregVDS wrote:Currently (firmware V1.1), yes, you have to tweak every knob to find the parameter value of a new loaded preset.
Would you happen to have an tips that would expedite this process? I've been checking the manual in advance, and at the least, I imagine setting the knobs to "Pass Through" mode would be helpful.
GregVDS wrote:I didn't try to find out what's inside the sysex dump files. I prefer to wait Moog editor than corrupt something in the file, upload it and brickdown my Sub37 just for kicks.
Oh god! Is that really something that can happen? Is that to say you should generally never edit sysex data and upload it back to a synth unless you're using an editor made by the manufacturer?

Thanks again.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:54 am

I'm not good at quoting, so here are my answers:

1. Dunno,
2. Yes, somewhere here in the forum, I think it was Amos from Moog that told us the Editor should be done during the summer,
3. Passthrough, yes, that's how I try to do it,
4. Dunno again, maybe brickdown is a tad too strong, but you're on your own there, I never did it. I don't have the time to figure out what's inside the sysex file, and as long as I know Moog will produce an editor, I'm ok to wait for it. Until then, I play the synth, I save presets, and that's all.

The most advanced and risky stuff I did with the synth is send a Moogerfooger MF-104m firmware sysex file into USB to the Sub37 that sent it through Midi to the MF-104m, and it worked and the Sub37 didn't blinked or whatever. But I suppose that sysex was clearly identified as NOT for the Sub37. But what if the sysex is recognized, accepted, but wrong, I really don't know how the Sub37 would handle that.

All the best,

Greg

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm

GregVDS wrote: 2. Yes, somewhere here in the forum, I think it was Amos from Moog that told us the Editor should be done during the summer,
Ah, awesome. I'll be anxious to see how that works.

Thanks for the rest of your thorough answers!

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 am

Don't forget to register your Sub37 on the Moog website, to be contacted by Moog when there is a new firmware or when the editor is available.

Greg

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:41 am

GregVDS wrote:Don't forget to register your Sub37 on the Moog website, to be contacted by Moog when there is a new firmware or when the editor is available.
Yep, definitely! :D