104Z loosing the momentum in a amp effect loop

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
alexdecker

104Z loosing the momentum in a amp effect loop

Post by alexdecker » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:00 am

Hi all

I have three Moogerfoogers, and I use them all with my Fender Rhodes. When I only use the delay, it acts pretty much as described in the manual. If I turn the feedback up to 8 or above, it pretty much feeds back into itself and goes crazy. Which I like.

But when I use them all together (Low Pass > Ring Modulator > Delay), its like the delay looses some momentum in the end, and even when I turn the feedback all the way up 'til 10, I don't get that crazy feed backing. Just a long delay tail. Same thing when I use them in the effect loop of my amp (fender blues deluxe).

Has anyone experienced this too? Is it true that the delay looses some of its momentum when put in an effect loop or as the end of a pedal train?

I don't know… maybe I am not gaining them all right… Any help is appreciated!

– Alex

facon

Re: 104Z loosing the momentum in a amp effect loop

Post by facon » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:33 am

Try increasing the drive and/or loop gain until you get to the point where it oscillates how you want. It sounds like your other pedals may not be set correctly to unity gain, though. Remember that the MF-101 and MF-102 are not true bypass and have the drive permanently enabled even if the effect is disabled.

The feedback control just feeds the delayed signal back into the delay. If the source signal is lowered (by lowering the volume beforehand somehow), then the feedback will also be lower.
Last edited by facon on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:08 am

Seconding that.

Try to have the Drive/Output setting of each of them carfully adjusted, as explained in the manuals.

metron

Post by metron » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:59 pm

I thought all foogers had true bypass?
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

facon

Post by facon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:17 am

None of them are true bypass. Don't let that scare you though. Many of the greatest and most valuable effects in the world are buffered bypass. It all comes down to how good the buffer is. If you couldn't tell, odds are it's pretty good buffer.

alexdecker

Post by alexdecker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

Only problem with increasing the drive is that I also increase the volume. And if I have to increase the drive so the feedback is satisfactory, my amp will play so insanely loud that I'll blow out the windows!

I guess the best solution would be to just put all the pedals in before the amp, instead of the feedback loop of the amp. Just annoying, as I can only use them with one instrument at the time…

– Alex

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:19 pm

There is a drive and an output volume knob. If you crank the drive, turn down the output.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 am

When you notice the delay won't self oscillate, immediately remove everything else from the chain to be positive that it is not the 104z itself malfunctioning.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

alexdecker

Post by alexdecker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:56 pm

[quote="Alien8"]There is a drive and an output volume knob. If you crank the drive, turn down the output.[/quote

I know, but the output knob is already all the way down.

- Alex