Which Moog to buy

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
motion drive

Which Moog to buy

Post by motion drive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:51 am

Hello Folks

I'm about to buy a Moog, but for each model there’s somehow a downer :(

Voyager
Off course the first choice...but out of budget...price is the downer

Little Phatty
I once had this model, but had a lot of tuning and timing Problems. I like the sound of the Little Phatty very much, but I’m afraid to have tons of bugs again. Another downer is the interface which is not hands on at all.

Sub Phatty / Sub 37
Actually the Sub37 would be my first choice considering the handling. Just the very best interface Moog ever did imo. I tried it several times in a store, checked probably every demo on YouTube and I have to say...I don’t like the Sound as much as on the LP. Sounds way too harsh and not that creamy.

Minitaur
This on would be my second choice, as I like the simplicity and the Sound. The big downer here is the 3 octaves...I want to play high leads as well...big downer.

So...my dream Moog would be the Sub37 with the Sound of the Little Phatty. I'M LOST

MoogProg

Re: Which Moog to buy

Post by MoogProg » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:31 am

I have the Slim Phatty and the Sub37 and while I do think they each sound different, I can tell you the Sub37 is actually the smoother sounding of the two. The harsh/noise-oriented reviews online are misleading, because the Sub37 does classic Moog-creamy very well IMHO.

I've posted this before, but here is a short piece I did a while back using the Sub37 for the lead lines. First solo is a classic Moog lead with after-touch sent to both resonance and LFO. Second solo is a clean organ sound using duo mode, where the Mod Wheel controls the LFO Speed. Hopefully, this helps you hear the smooth side of what you can do with the Sub37.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-h-geimer/camera

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:38 am

Modular or Memory... you can't go wrong... :D

Cheers,
Tom

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:13 pm

noddyspuncture wrote:Modular or Memory... you can't go wrong... :D
Like motion drive would say: "...price is the downer" certainly on those also. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

motion drive

Post by motion drive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Thx for the inputs guys :)

Memory or Modular is way over budget...indeed big downer :)

Moogprog..I cheked your track and it sounds indeed nice. Still not exactly what I'm looking for. On my old days I started to do more chilled lounge music so what im looking for are sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrHAsEO ... fE&index=2

somehow I dont see doing those kind of sounds on the sub phatty / sub37...shame though...the sub37 is such a nice looking gear and so nice in use.

I'm tempted to re-buy the LP...kinda stupid as i sold mine two years ago. But I had so many problems using it with my DAW and Cubase. Still those demos from keybdwizrd on youtube are exactly what im looking for. Its to me the classic moog sound. Adding some decent delays and reverbs it will blast out in ambient sounds.

Still I hope someone can convince me in buying the Sub37...so much less to care about. Tuned OSC, Proper working editor, best handling etc...

More inputs very welcome :)

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 pm

If the Voyager is out of your price range then get a Sub 37, you will never regret it! The functionality blows away the the Slim and Little Phattys, although their oscillators sound more like a Voyager, but the variance setting on the 37 can achieve some of that flavor.
If you havent seen it yet watch Daniel Fisher's demo of the Sub 37, it is absolutely the best and most diverse demonstration of the Sub 37 I have ever seen. It's just 40 minutes of masterful tweaking. He is DemonDan on here btw. https://youtu.be/aDXESToG4p8
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Wow, thanks MacAquinas. :oops:

Hey motion drive,

I've been considering selling my Solar Phatty (burnt orange back, CV Outs, black end caps) as I now have a Voyager RME, along with my Sub 37s, Minitaur, and Braille Sub Phatty. It is in excellent condition and has its original box and manual.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15
(Scroll down to see a pic of the back a Solar Phatty.)

I've been holding out for someone who would truly appreciate and use it.

If you decide to go that way, send me a private message.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 pm

@motion drive, if you can't swing the Voyager*, then I would go for the Sub37 - which has been my focus since I bought it last week - so much modulation functionality than the LP, not to mention the sequencer. I think a lot of the flavor of the video you posted comes from the MX200, once you subtract that, or conversely add it to a Sub37, you'll have much the same, if not identical sound.

In any case, you can't go wrong with any of the Mooog synths listed - although I found the Sub Phatty really limiting with the indirect 'hidden' option controls, and small preset memory. It had a huge sound though, and I loved the overdrive sounds you could get with it.

*- if you think you'll go modular or Foogular some day, then the Voyager is a slam dunk as a central control keyboard with it's expanded CV I/O.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

motion drive

Post by motion drive » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:38 am

Thx for the Inputs guys

@MacAquias
Of course I watched the demo from Daniel Fisher. Nice one...but still not many soft and smooth sounds in there. But it shows very well some of the variance this beast can do.

@Demondan
Thx for the offer, but I guess sending it over to Switzerland would cost a lot, so at the end getting a second Hand over here would be cheaper.

How much you think is a fair Price for a second hand Voyager?

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 am

I'm a big fan of the LP, though I haven't tried the 37 to be honest, my wallet doesn't want me to. I like the sound, hands-on operation and the CV outs. You can get a great deal on a used LP at the moment

*edit: It needs to settle after being switched on to play in tune, but I have no other issues with mine at all.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:28 am

I’m quite in the same boat here.

I love the LP’s sound, have CV outs (…I’ve barely used, in fact…) and like the immediacy of it. The only-4-knobs factor has proved not to be too annoying actually (I bought it when I discovered that  ) plus tweaking the presets live is way more comfortable with those LED collars. The filter configuration and the overload seduce my ears more that the Sub line’s.

On the other hand, the Sub37 is so much capable and so much hands-on. I have to say the only two points retaining me are the CV-out impossibility and the sound. But it may change some day 

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:24 am

sub37 +1
very good synth, very good price quality

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:43 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Wow, thanks MacAquinas. :oops:
Than you Dan for all your contributions in here, I can't tell you how much I have learned from your posts. You are the Moog Yoda. May the Moog Source be with you! :mrgreen:
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

motion drive

Post by motion drive » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 pm

I was again in a store and checked the Sub37. Still feeling the same about it. Great interface but not the sound I admire in a moog. Theres some second hand Little Phattys online here in Switzerland for around 700 dollars. I'm almost sure to give the Little phatty another try. I think at the time i didnt had OS 3.2...so maybe the midi issues are better now. Lets say I prefer to take the risk again. Watched all the Jordan Rudess Phatty demos again...and i think im convinced :)

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm

motion drive wrote:Hello Folks

I'm about to buy a Moog, but for each model there’s somehow a downer :(

Voyager
Off course the first choice...but out of budget...price is the downer
More of a downer, to me, are the problems I see documented in the Voyager forum with things that are apparently wrong inside that synth.

I'd look for a Model D in good condition, myself. Those always worked great

That being said, I am by no means the consensus but I don't really like their current synths enough.