RE: Mini / Multi - Home Recording (FX)?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
monsterjazzlicks

RE: Mini / Multi - Home Recording (FX)?

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi folks,

I was looking for an appropriate place to ask a question and after searching around, this here LOUNGE seems very fitting:

If one was going to RECORD a MOOG (which I should have at least made an attempt at ages ago) then what would be some good FX to use with it please? I have CUBASE ARTIST 8 but do not own any 3rd party FX plug-in's (nor can I really see myself purchasing any to be honest [with me being something of a studio hobby-ist]). I know lots of people use WAVES.

Of course, I could just record either the MINIMOOG or MULTIMOOG as DRY and they would sound ok (well they do to my ears). But I am sure that most RECORDIST's would add a plethora of FX and what-not to spice up the sound/recording. I have been playing on my MULTIMOOG this weekend thinking about how one might COMPOSE a tune for it which is when I started to wonder how much (or how little) FX might play a part in this.

I have used FX for a few of my YAMAHA DX21 synth demonstrations albeit most of them have been somewhat mainstream (eg. Delay, Reverb, Chorus, etc), though perhaps, sometimes at least, this may be all that is required.

I would be playing the either the MINI or MULTI in isolation and probably not even layering any OVERDUB's.

Anyway, those are my thought/questions at this point for anyone able to kindly offer any experience in this area. As I say, I am more of a player/arranger/composer (and [now] a not too bad FM synth programmer) but the area of RECORDING is something I do still need to greatly explore.

Many thanks in advance . . .

Paul David Seaman
Moog Subsequent 25 / MiniMoog Model D / Cubase 9 / Sibelius 8.6

MRNUTTY

Re: RE: Mini / Multi - Home Recording (FX)?

Post by MRNUTTY » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Paul, what I like to do is record whatever FX get me into the groove I use for the performance on a seperate track(s), then the instruments are recorded dry on their own tracks. Don't fotget a click and MIDI timing track. Then in the mixdown I can elect to retain the original FX, or recreate them in whatever fashion I like to improve it.

Have fun!
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks Mr Nutty,

Do you mean that you record a track using some of your favourite FX which inspire you musically (rather than record DRY)? And then once the track is recorded, you then decide whether or not to KEEP the FX on, leave it DRY, or apply DIFFERENT FX to it?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

willstring

Post by willstring » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:38 am

hey jazzlicks,

love the user name --fellow jazz player here :)

I run my Mini through an Roland RE-101 space echo and it sounds just killer, especially with a single osc triangle wave. Geoffrey Keezer uses this sound alot. In fact one of the presets on the Voyager is named after him :) This is the only effect I use with the Mini though and it seems sufficient, but there are plenty of others one could experiment with

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:38 am

Paul,
I almost always add a little reverb to enhance a synth's sound. I choose a reverb I like and record it directly on the track with the instrument. Lots of recording engineers record the dry synth and wet reverb signals to different tracks but I've found what works for me is to find the reverb I like and then that combination of reverb and synth becomes the sound of my instrument on that track (I don't use a computer for recording, if I did I might do things differently). I use two digital muli-effects units for my reverbs but there are sweet analog reverbs out there as well.

I have other hardware effects - delay, ring mod, murf, freqbox, flanger, pitch shifter, phaser, and distortion, but they don't get used very often in my current style of writing. Usually I'll be messing around with an effect and if I find something I like, I track it and then design a song around it. Again, for me, it is easier to find an effect I like and add it to the track with the synth when recording, therefore becoming the new sound of that synth. Does that make sense?

When starting out I spent a lot of months researching the best ways to record. I tried to figure out how compression and EQ worked, and I tried to emulate what the pros did. Eventually I decided to just do what sounded good to me. The research is definately beneficial, but don't get caught up in it all. I'm a hobbyist like yourself, not a professional recording engineer. :)

Cheers,
Mark

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 am

Paul, yes I record the synths dry, plus extra tracks for the FX I used for the performance (that I recorded). That way, you can choose to keep the performances FX, or recreate them in a differernt fashion. I recommend recording any timing on seperate tracks to synchronize new FX with the original recorded music if you used delays synch's to the beat, etc...
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:44 am

Hello Will,
willstring wrote:t sounds just killer, especially with a single osc triangle wave. Geoffrey Keezer uses this sound alot. In fact one of the presets on the Voyager is named after him :) This is the only effect I use with the Mini though and it seems sufficient, but there are plenty of others one could experiment with
Thanks very much mate.

It seems though that the device you kindly mention costs 500GBP upwards if I am correct!?

I will check out Geoff Keezer as I have not heard of him before.

Best,

Paul

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 am

Paul,

I think you should try these VST plugins, as they are freeware but they are very good.
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com

I think one should almost always record dry (because then you are not committed to an effect or EQ that one usually finds out later doesn't really fit into the mix) then use VST's per track. Your synth will then benefit (when mixing and listening to everything) to reverb, most definitely EQ and oftentimes compression.

Try those plugins I linked you. Some are better than commercial VST plugins.

Have fun!

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Atomic,
atomicsynth wrote:I think you should try these VST plugins, as they are freeware but they are very good.
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com

I think one should almost always record dry (because then you are not committed to an effect or EQ that one usually finds out later doesn't really fit into the mix) then use VST's per track. Your synth will then benefit (when mixing and listening to everything) to reverb, most definitely EQ and oftentimes compression.
I very much worry about downloading FREEWARE as I have had to have both my Win7 and Win8 REFORMATTED at least 3 x times each, and so last month I kind of vowed not to INSTALL anything which was not a PAID PURCHASE from a recognised company. This may sound a bit extreme I know, but I can't deal with taking anymore risks. Plus I just laid out over 200GBP on an INTERNAL SSD.

I have only ever recorded DRY and then I decide if I am to add any FX upon listening to the playback. Personally, from what my ears tell me, if you are performing LEAD LINE stuff on the MULTI, then this can have a tendency to sound a little nasily/reedy in isolation. So I am sure it would benefit from something added.

Cheers,

Paul

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Paul.

I use external effects with my synths (Moog, Korg, etc...). Mainly guitar effect pedals, like reverb (EHX Cathedral), delay (Boss DD-7 and EHX DMM), flanger (Boss BF-3), phaser (EHX Small Stone). I have the drawback of not being able to change their levels afterwards (I record them live), but I prefer to hear them as I play for a better feeling, rather then adding them later.
It's all recorded live, track by track, in Audacity on my Mac Mini using the regular stéréo audio in (but sampled at 96 KHz two channels 32 bits floating in audacity, then brought back to 44 KHz and 16 bits for exporting as a lossless .wav file).

BTW, on a Mac, you need to use the "Audio MIDI Set-up" app (found in utilities directory) to be able to change the default sampling rate input of the Mac from 44K 16 bits to 96K 32 bits floating.
And of course you need to set Audacity (or your favorite DAW) to work with the same resolution internally. :wink:

Cheers,
Alain.
Last edited by thealien666 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

willstring

Post by willstring » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hello Will,
willstring wrote:t sounds just killer, especially with a single osc triangle wave. Geoffrey Keezer uses this sound alot. In fact one of the presets on the Voyager is named after him :) This is the only effect I use with the Mini though and it seems sufficient, but there are plenty of others one could experiment with
Thanks very much mate.

It seems though that the device you kindly mention costs 500GBP upwards if I am correct!?

I will check out Geoff Keezer as I have not heard of him before.

Best,

Paul
I got pretty lucky and got one for about 115GBP. There is a Plug-in version of it for much less here: http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=26. I did an A/B test of the plug-in vs. the real thing once with my Mini and it was quite close-- i'll try to dig it up and post.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Cheers Alien,
thealien666 wrote:I use external effects with my synths (Moog, Korg, etc...). Mainly guitar effect pedals, like reverb (EHX Cathedral), delay (Boss DD-7 and EHX DMM), flanger (Boss BF-3), phaser (EHX Small Stone). I have the drawback of not being able to change their levels afterwards (I record them live), but I prefer to hear them as I play for a better feeling, rather then adding them later.
Well, like yourself, I have external hardware FX including Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah, Boss CE-1 Chorus, Boss Auto-Pan, Boss Carbon Copy Delay etc, which I use for my FENDER RHODES and HOHNER CLAVINET (live performances). But as yet, have never hooked them up to the MOOG (nor even hooked up the MOOG to CUBASE).
thealien666 wrote:It's all recorded live, track by track, in Audacity on my Mac Mini using the regular stéréo audio in (but sampled at 96 KHz two channels 32 bits floating in audacity, then brought back to 44 KHz and 16 bits for exporting as a lossless .wav file).
Ok, I will bear that in mind when I get to that point!
thealien666 wrote:BTW, on a Mac, you need to use the "Audio MIDI Set-up" app (found in utilities directory) to be able to change the default sampling rate input of the Mac from 44K 16 bits to 96K 32 bits floating. And of course you need to set Audacity (or your favorite DAW) to work with the same resolution internally.
I am on Win7 and Win8 PC using CUBASE ARTIST (which is a scaled down version of CUBASE PRO [as they now call it]).

Ta,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Ta Will,
willstring wrote:I got pretty lucky and got one for about 115GBP. There is a Plug-in version of it for much less here: http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=26. I did an A/B test of the plug-in vs. the real thing once with my Mini and it was quite close-- i'll try to dig it up and post.
Ok, well you did well to grab that at a steal!

I would very much like to hear your MINI thru both of the TAPE ECHO versions please?

I think that after a while, on the hardware version, you need to REPLACE the TAPE inside? Not sure how regularly though? There is a guy in London UK who offers a postal service.

Best,

Paul

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Everyone knows that pros use a Mac... (just kidding :lol: )

I've worked with a PC on Win XP for many years to record my drumming videos and record my synths (using Adobe Audition), without too many problems, until I switched to a Mac about 5 years ago (should have done that earlier).
Since then, smooth sailing all the way...
Last edited by thealien666 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Hello Mr Nutty,
MRNUTTY wrote:I recommend recording any timing on seperate tracks to synchronize new FX with the original recorded music if you used delays synch's to the beat, etc...
I will be asking you more about this later on down the line if that's ok.

Thanks,

Paul