Motion City Soundtrack guitar sound?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
iamthemovie

Motion City Soundtrack guitar sound?

Post by iamthemovie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:31 pm

Hey, new to moog here, and I'm looking into buying a pedal to cover some Motion City Soundtrack stuff. What would you all recommend?

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:09 pm

The Motion City soundtrack guitar sound is mostly distorted or clean. Unless you are new to guitar, I don't think that requires much explaining. Just find a distortion pedal that suits you. I use as many as four different distortions for a single set.

Most of the interesting textures in MCS come from the synth. A Moog-designed Realistic Concertmate MG-1. If you want to make those sounds with a synth, you might check out pedals like the Electro Harmonix guitar synth, or maybe a Moog low-pass filter. I don't know much about either of those pedals, though.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:07 am

if you want motion city guitar tone, buy a cheap graphic equalizer pedal. turn the 2k slider all the way up (+12db) and notch every other slider all the way down (-12db)... then run that thru a DOD "grunge" pedal with your guitars volume knob at 1.5

OR...

play any guitar through a pair of Walgreens headphones, then have the sound engineer mic the left headphone. With a Radioshack Hi-z mic.

voila!

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:42 pm

writeroxie wrote:if you want motion city guitar tone, buy a cheap graphic equalizer pedal. turn the 2k slider all the way up (+12db) and notch every other slider all the way down (-12db)... then run that thru a DOD "grunge" pedal with your guitars volume knob at 1.5

OR...

play any guitar through a pair of Walgreens headphones, then have the sound engineer mic the left headphone. With a Radioshack Hi-z mic.

voila!
Ouch...burrrrrrn