Time For New Moogerfoogers!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Croyote

Re: Time For New Moogerfoogers!

Post by Croyote » Tue May 19, 2015 2:29 am

They just need to add the LFO, tap tempo, and MIDI to all of the Moogerfoogers they already make; as a first step.

Think of how amazing the Phaser or Ring Mod would be if you could change the LFO waveforms and control the rate to match your song on the fly.

Of course, the problem is it would massively devalue a huge back stock in these pedals that most dealers and even Moog probably has in the factory.

To be quite honest, I've about lost faith in Moog; I think they are just going to kill the Moogerfoogers off one by one. The Cluster Flux is next.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue May 19, 2015 10:25 am

Croyote wrote: To be quite honest, I've about lost faith in Moog; I think they are just going to kill the Moogerfoogers off one by one. The Cluster Flux is next.
That seems a tad bit harsh. Moog has always said the the 104m and the 108m had a limited life due to the chip availability. Moog said "PRODUCTION SUSPENDED" not discontinued. They might need to find a new chip and redesign the unit.
Everyone has said they wanted midi on the 107 maybe we will see a 107M. Who knows what will become of the Murf (I do need to buy one again).

For years there has been pages upon pages posted about the want for cp-style Foogers maybe this is a transition. Now that Moog has the basics covered for guitar pedals (still would like to see a phaser) in the Mini Fooger line maybe they will build the CP Fooger line. if that is the case I say be gone with your Mooger Foogers.

Who knows what they are doing? Only the Shadow knows and they're not talking.

Marcie609

Post by Marcie609 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:03 pm

"Think of how amazing the Phaser or Ring Mod would be if you could change the LFO waveforms and control the rate to match your song on the fly."

Get a EHX 8 Step. they are like $100

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed May 20, 2015 5:05 am

slabwax wrote: That seems a tad bit harsh. Moog has always said the the 104m and the 108m had a limited life due to the chip availability. Moog said "PRODUCTION SUSPENDED" not discontinued. They might need to find a new chip and redesign the unit.
You're probably right, dude. I was being a bit rough, and I've beaten this issue to death.
Marcie609 wrote:
Get a EHX 8 Step. they are like $100

Sorry but the issue goes far deeper than this simple fix Marcie!

I own a CP-251 and a CoPilotFx Broadcast, so I have plenty of exciting CV and EXP options available. I would love to add a EHX 8 step at some point.

The deeper problem is the design of the circuits and their inherent limitation that prevent radical expansion.

The MF-103 Phaser is a 12 stage phaser, but the first 6 stages are fixed to being modulated by a Triangle wave LFO. You can add another LFO to the last 6 stages via the sweep-in jack.

I would prefer to see the first 6 stages have a variable LFO, and the second 6 stages have another variabe LFO or the sweep-in jack. This way, The Moog Phaser would finally prove it is more versatile that the Mutron Bi-Phase, which at least allows two LFO options for each grouping of 6 stages. I could even see a Moog Phaser with distinct groupings of stages synched to various LFOs. Tap Tempo would really clinch it's place as the best.

The MF-102 Ring Mod has a built in Triangle or Square Wave LFO that controls the Carrier. You can insert a different LFO into the Carrier In jack, but doing so disables the Hi-Lo Switch, Frequency and the Mix Knob. This is a MAJOR drawback that requires a complex LFO/CV generator to work around.

Furthermore, maybe Moog should actually even expand the recent Waveform LFO circuit to have more possibilities available. The Subdecay DLX circuit, for instance, has nearly twice as many options to explore.

Just my thoughts.
Last edited by Croyote on Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed May 20, 2015 10:40 am

Plenty of modular out there that will do what you want, for example check Tides by Mutable instruments. It's even open source so you could convert it to Big format :).

If Moog choose to keep to the MF form factor then they limit themselves to 4-8 knob controls and 10 1/4" sockets (less if there's MIDI). Koma has pinched the MF style and added front-mounted sockets. Lots of choice is no bad thing!

willi

Post by willi » Fri May 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Croyote wrote:The MF-103 Phaser is a 12 stage phaser, but the first 6 stages are fixed to being modulated by a Triangle wave LFO. You can add another LFO to the last 6 stages via the sweep-in jack.

I would prefer to see the first 6 stages have a variable LFO, and the second 6 stages have another variabe LFO or the sweep-in jack.
That always bugged me, too. I wonder if there is a point on the PCB to cut the LFO trace and install a switching jack so you could send a CV to both stages. Maybe Moog would help identify this location, akin to the spillover mod for the 104z?
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

dumbledog

Post by dumbledog » Sat May 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Croyote wrote: The MF-103 Phaser is a 12 stage phaser, but the first 6 stages are fixed to being modulated by a Triangle wave LFO. You can add another LFO to the last 6 stages via the sweep-in jack..
Maybe I'm misreading you or how the pedal works in general but isn't this what the sweep jack is for? I have two different square LFOs at different rates to the Sweep and Sweep In jacks right now and it's behaving as expected.

Actually I rather like this setup -- gotta keep it in mind.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat May 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Silly me, yes I meant looping envelope (above). This was probably said already but so many Foogers have so many useful features that fall short of being usable externally. As somebody said "the ClusterFlux is selfish with it's LFO";

The last Fooger to have external (outbound) CV was the MF-101, 102, and 103 (though the Freqbox did have envelope out similar to the 101).

Jack space is at a premium but I feel like they could have found a way to squeeze one more in.

Mostly, I think it's the form factor that keeps people from buying the more expensive Foogers (once they get past the price tag) It takes somebody wild like John Frusciante to make it a perm part of their rig or to not have a concern about spilling over to the n'th pedal board.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed May 27, 2015 4:35 pm

It's one thing to have feature creep in a software musical instrument or FX box (and I'm not talking about how ungodly awful that is). Trying to be everything to everybody in a small hardware box will drive the price up and up. Pretty soon you've made the most flexible little box in the world at only $1200 a pop.

Just one more jack... just make the LFO available... just add MIDI... There. You've just satisfied 5% of your customers and driven away 50% by the price.

Stephen