What's with the sticker thing?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ununseptium

What's with the sticker thing?

Post by ununseptium » Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 pm

I just got an envelope through the post the other day with the official Moog livery printed on it. It was sent all the way from Ashville to my home in the UK. Upon opening it I found a MOOG sticker... and that's it. No cover letter, no information about why I was sent it or anything. I had recently registered my new Sub37, and I guess it's in response to this. However, is it normal to get sent just a sticker like this? It seems a bit random and pointless. I mean, I don't mind and I'm very happy with it, but it is just a sticker. Would it not make more sense to just put it in the box when the pack the synth?
Can anyone enlighten me on this?

fyvewytches

Re: What's with the sticker thing?

Post by fyvewytches » Thu May 14, 2015 6:34 am

Probably Moog would prefer that their instruments be registered. The sticker is an enticement for you to do so... although many people never actually receive them :wink:

Registering is a good idea. My Voyager was repaired (due to a bad batch of TI chips that were used in some instruments) free of charge recently. I and other registered owners received an email from them explaining the issue and my instrument was promptly repaired by the local distributor. Had I not registered, I may never have known why one of the modulations buses wasn't working and would have paid for the repairs myself.

Also registered Voyager owners all received the brass filter knob a couple of years ago.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

ununseptium

Post by ununseptium » Thu May 14, 2015 7:18 am

Thanks for the reply. I guessed it might be something like this. So odd though, just to receive a sticker in an envelope with no explanation.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Thu May 14, 2015 1:02 pm

i got one too in the uk a couple of weeks ago - stuck it on my sax case :-)

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 14, 2015 4:02 pm

I have always been thankful when Moog sent things out of the blue. It's just good customer service.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu May 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Over the years, I have registered many items. Sometimes a sticker shows up, sometimes one doesn't. It is a nice little piece of swag at any rate.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Just Me wrote:Over the years, I have registered many items. Sometimes a sticker shows up, sometimes one doesn't. It is a nice little piece of swag at any rate.

One just never knows. I got one for a minifooger and not for my S37 ????? it's like a surprise party.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Fri May 15, 2015 7:38 am

I got one for the Sub37 as it seems. Let's see if the MF-104m will give a reaction :-).

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri May 15, 2015 8:01 am

Over the last 5 years, I've registered (all new purchases) a Little Phatty, (2) Slim Phatty's, a Minitaur, and (4) MoogerFoogers

Sticker count = 0 :P
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri May 15, 2015 11:40 am

Got another one yesterday. I truly think they just randomly send these to registered owners of Moog products. I'll put them on camping gear bins.

Moog Inc. sits in an awkward corner of Asheville—one with very little available parking. I've noticed most every employee has 'badged' their vehicle, and I wonder if the practice might help them avoid trouble with the neighbors (and the towing companies).

Also, Asheville is kind of Bumper Sticker town, with lots of old Subarus and such.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Fri May 15, 2015 12:55 pm

I got one out of the blue a few weeks back. I am also in the UK.

grenert

Post by grenert » Sat May 16, 2015 7:34 am

They must have just filled the "Sticker Fulfillment" position in the company ;)
I had registered three products in the past, never got anything. But just got one this week after registering my phaser!
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat May 16, 2015 8:08 pm

How about a free sew-on patch :D

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat May 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Early Voyagers in Britain didn't have the Moog name apart from a small panel saying "Voyager by Bob Moog" because of the loss of the Moog company name here.

I'm not sure if the sticker thing dates from that or not, but for those of us in Britain who didn't have a Moog logo on our Moog synths it made sense for Moog to provide a logo in sticker form when the legal status of the name changed.

But as you've said, it's random. I've never received one, and I don't think I'm particularly alone in that. I resigned myself to that a long time ago. I've always said if I ever gig with the Voyager I'll put a large Roland or Korg sticker on, as Moog seem to be so uninterested in badging their synth. Anything done with it on stage may as well be credited to their competitors.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Mon May 18, 2015 5:38 am

I haven't got a sticker yet and i'm in the UK.
With regards to sticking a competitors sticker on, I don't think that'll make any difference, everybody knows what a Moog looks like. That is like sticking a lexus badge on a rolls royce. :mrgreen:
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303